Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What music are you listening to in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received a digital download copy of The Who's new album WHO as a Christmas Gift. It is a decent addition to their catalog and for the most part fits right in with their efforts post-'75, perhaps being even superior to It's Hard and Face Dances. Certainly Townsend is beginning to feel his age and it is well reflected in the writing. Daltry's tone is down an bit but his voice is still strong. The various touring and session musicians that fill out the several tracks do well with a special call-out to Zak Starkey's drumming on his contributions for being the most "Who"-like drumming since Moon's passing. None of the visiting bassists (even long-time contributor Pino Palladino) really hold a candle to Entwistle, but Townsend uses this lack to his compositional advantage by filling it with other instrumentation. There are few mis-fires but over all it holds up surprisingly well for new material from a band whose best was nearly a half-century ago.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• JoS - I’m a big Tull fan as well and attended many shows, including 75! I think I’ll go with ‘74 tonite, though:
      Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

Very cool Daniel! Yeah I agree that's way too expensive for tickets. They played here as well, but the timing didn't quite work out for me to see them. However, I did recently purchase one of their annual holiday grab boxes offered on their website. This year was a great deal, for $49 you got 3 t-shirts, 1 glass, 1 mug, 1 keychain, 1 pin, 1 set of postcards, and 1 bumper sticker. The draw for getting a box is the t-shirts of course as they retail on the site for $25-$30 each. The remainder of the box are a nice bonus to have. The shirts they sent me were a vintage look "Larks Tongues In Aspic" logo and 2 different ones from the 2017 US tour. I was very pleased! :-)

That's a great deal on Google Play for each of KC's albums and well worth grabbing, glad you got them!
        Sounds like a big deal. These t-shirts are worth the price. ( Do they have extra-large sizes ?)
        I found t-shirts of Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Yes and I am deciding which one I will get and that is not easy when you can pick only two. I am almost going for burn and in a glass house.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• BOC: Tyranny and Mutation and Secret Treaties
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Guess what now? It is Deep Purple's Burn !

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
              JoS - I’m a big Tull fan as well and attended many shows, including 75! I think I’ll go with ‘74 tonite, though:
              Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
              A Passion Play is a fantastic album! If you enjoy that one you should check out their "Chateau D'isaster Tapes". They are the recordings made just after "Thick As A Brick" and prior to "A Passion Play", but scrapped and shelved until partially released on the "20th Anniversary" box set and eventually fully released on "Nightcap" and "A Passion Play An Extended Performance" box set.
              "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
              'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Sounds like a big deal. These t-shirts are worth the price. ( Do they have extra-large sizes ?)
                I found t-shirts of Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Yes and I am deciding which one I will get and that is not easy when you can pick only two. I am almost going for burn and in a glass house.
                Gentle Giant's "In A Glass House" will be awesome on a shirt! The King Crimson site offers shirts in all sizes from small to 4X and the holiday grab box seems to still be available...

https://shop.schizoidshop.com/2019-grab-box-p1832.aspx

I think they ship to Brazil, but couldn't tell you what shipping costs would run.

Comment

BOC: Tyranny and Mutation and Secret Treaties
                  Those are two killer BOC albums from the early days! You mentioning Gentle Giant has made my choice for tonight...

Octopus and In A Glass House

Comment

• Originally posted by EverKing View Post
                    I received a digital download copy of The Who's new album WHO as a Christmas Gift. It is a decent addition to their catalog and for the most part fits right in with their efforts post-'75, perhaps being even superior to It's Hard and Face Dances. Certainly Townsend is beginning to feel his age and it is well reflected in the writing. Daltry's tone is down an bit but his voice is still strong. The various touring and session musicians that fill out the several tracks do well with a special call-out to Zak Starkey's drumming on his contributions for being the most "Who"-like drumming since Moon's passing. None of the visiting bassists (even long-time contributor Pino Palladino) really hold a candle to Entwistle, but Townsend uses this lack to his compositional advantage by filling it with other instrumentation. There are few mis-fires but over all it holds up surprisingly well for new material from a band whose best was nearly a half-century ago.
                    I forgot about The Who releasing a new album and will have to check it out...thanks!

Comment

• Toto "Ultimate Collection" ( 3 cds boxset )

Comment

Toto "Ultimate Collection" ( 3 cds boxset )
                        Great band! I haven't decided what to listen to yet. I'm thinking either Caravan or Gong. Have a great weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

Great band! I haven't decided what to listen to yet. I'm thinking either Caravan or Gong. Have a great weekend!
                          Good idea man. I will play some caravan too!

Comment

• Hello folks

On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
                            BLUE ÖYSTER CULT
                            Kevin McCabe
                            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Last night was some more Jethro Tull with "Songs From The Wood" followed by "Down To Earth", a complete stellar live recording from the tour.

Comment

Working...
                              X