Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your fav albums from 2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your fav albums from 2004?

Well, I found '04 to have been a rather good year for music. Some of my highlites were:

Helicopter Girl - Voodoo Chic
    Ben Christophers - The Spaces In Between
    Seafood - As The Cry Flows
    Mono - Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Red Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined
    Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies - Hurrah!
    65 Days Of Static - The Fall Of Math
    The Faint - Wet From Birth
    PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
    Bjork - Medulla

What rocked your boat in '04, then?
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Patti Smith - "Trampin'"
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

My favorite album for the last year is "System Has Failed" by Megadeth
      2004 wasn't that kind of year we can see lots of new albums in heavy metal scene though
      http://soundandclouds.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I would have to say Slipknot's Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, but only because I haven't heard the Patti Smith and PJ Harvey albums mentioned above yet. :oops: For reasons I won't go into, I decided to buy the Scissor Sisters DVD, rather than the album, and that's very good indeed too.

Edit: Ooops! I forgot to mention Northern State's All City, which was fantastic... and everyone should buy a copy right now. (They were so nice about the cartoons I drew of them, I'm feeling very guilty)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Predictably perhaps Sonic Nurse by Sonic Youth, but it has exceeded my expectations by never seeming to reach burn out factor.

The Poppy Variations by Legendary Pink Dots. Such a great album and another group at their peak after decades of great music. I had so many wonderful massages to this album. Also The Whispering Wall released the same damn year on another label. Not as flawlessly perfect, but still a damn solid album with some amazing tracks.

Pieces of 8 by Edward Ka-Spell. As if two awesome albums with his band (see above) weren't enough for him in 2004, he decided to release his best ever solo album too. Damn, I hope I age so well!

Summer Make Good by Mum. Such a beautiful album by an amazing group from Iceland. What the hell is it about that country? It's so damn small, and so much good music comes from it.

I'm listening to the Mission of Burma reunion album On Off On for the first time right now. It might well make the list in another week or so. ;)

That's another problem, in that a lot of stuff from 2003, such as Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, I took a long time to hear. I've also got a copy of Raven by Lou Reed in line to listen to here, but I don't know yet what I think of it. The review in the Wire makes me hopeful at least.
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

The Greater Wrong of the Right by Skinny Puppy. Not at all what I expected and not as good as I'd hoped but still kick ass!

Musicology by Prince. OK, still not as good as Parade, but loads better than Emancipation!

Everything else that I bought was so exciting that I can't remember it.

Comment

Let's see..... Longer lists 'cause I'm a deejay, yo. :)

The "heavy" list:

Agathodaimon, Serpent's Embrace (Nuclear Blast America); Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns; Borknagar - Epic; Cipher System, Central Tunnel Eight (Lifeforce); Cradle of Filth, Nymphetamine (Roadrunner Records); Dark Tranquility, Exposure -- In Retrospect And Denial (Century Media);
              Demon Hunter, Summer of Darkness (Solid State); Fear Factory, Archetype (Liquid 8 Records); Forsaken, Traces Of The Past (Century Media); God Dethroned, Lair of the White Worm (Metal Blade); Hypocrisy, The Arrival (Nuclear Blast); Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion; Kataklysm, Serenity In Fire (Nuclear Blast); Killswitch Engage, The End of Heartache (Roadrunner Records); Lilitu - The Delores Lesion; Mastodon, Leviathan (Relapse); Mercenary - 11 Dreams; Mnemic, The Audio Injected Soul (Nuclear Blast); Necrophagist, Epitaph (Relapse Records); Satyricon, Volcano (Red Ink/Epic); Shadows Fall - The War Within;
              Sirenia, An Elixir for Existence (Napalm Records); Tvangeste, Firestorm (Neoblast Records), and Yeti, 4-track demo (unsigned band from Fla.)

The "lighter" list includes:
              Amorphis, Far From the Sun (Nuclear Blast); Amaran, Pristine in Bondage (Listenable Records); Angra - Temple of Shadows; Ayreon - The Human Equation two-disc set; Bella Morte, As the Reasons Die; Bella Morte, Songs for the Dead; Dream Theater, Live at Budokan (Rhino Records); Evergrey - The Inner Circle; Iced Earth, The Glorious Burden (SPV); Orphaned Land - Mabool; Nightingale - Invisible; Nightwish - Once; Pain of Salvation - 12:5; Pain of Salvation - Be; Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night; Superior, Ultra Live (two-disc set); Tad Morose, Modus Vivendi (Century Media) and Therion - Lemuria / Sirius B.

Obviously kinda hard to pick even a Top 10 list, but I'd say my #1 release of the year is Ayreon's The Human Equation and my #2 is shaping up to be Ophaned Land's Mabool.

Comment

MARILLION - MARBLES

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                  Musicology by Prince. OK, still not as good as Parade, but loads better than Emancipation!
                  Quite the pleasent suprise, wasn't it? I got addicted to 'Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance' for absolutely ages!
                  Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Great List Pellaz thank you.. I've noticed I skipped some albums; Angra's for example. Btw how did you find Iced Earth with Tim Owens?

Comment

Originally posted by seda
                      Great List Pellaz thank you.. I've noticed I skipped some albums; Angra's for example.
                      That one came out toward the end of the year, so it was easily missed. I've seen Angra once (at ProgPower USA a few years ago), where they headlined. I'd love to see them again.

Originally posted by seda
                      Btw how did you find Iced Earth with Tim Owens?
                      I saw them live with Children of Bodom and Evergrey, actually. Quite a good show all around. We were hanging out at the back of the venue during most of Iced Earth's set and commenting that it was kinda amazing how much the show sounded like a Judas Priest show...but with those familiar Iced Earth chops and tunes. :) Honesty compels me to say that I was primarily there to see my old friends in Evergrey, and to see Children of Bodom, who are one of my favorite bands period (and likewise nice guys).

Pics from that show are here: http://jet13.hasweb.com/~paulcas/eg-cob/
                      Looking at the pics, I'm kinda impressed with how well they came out, for a relatively unsophisticated digital camera. I was in the front row for most of the night, though, which explains shots like this: http://jet13.hasweb.com/~paulcas/eg-cob/DCP05512.html (that's Alexi Laiho, playing guitar while reclining against his mic stand.)

Comment

I'm not keen on Children of Bodom but I like Alexi nice photos btw

Was "The Weight of the World" out last year? Metal Church has made this album with a new vocal, right? Anybody listened??

I'm now waiting for Kreator's upcoming album "Enemy of God". Maybe it's out in Europe?!

Comment

YES!

Kreator's latest opus is out in full force here in Europe...and IT SLAYS!

;-D

As for my favourite albums of 2004...here's the list:

Stormwitch - Witchcraft
                          Dio - Master of the Moon
                          1349 - Beyond Apocalypse
                          Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II
                          Aura Noir - The Merciless
                          Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
                          Iron Savior - Battering Ram
                          Angra - Temple of Shadows
                          Marduk - Plague Angel
                          Motorhead - Inferno (GO LEMMY!!!!)

that's it....

Kapri_Korn

Comment

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
                            not the best thing he has ever done - almost approaches the mainstream in some ways, but the lyrics are superb and the Bad Seeds are just simply magnificent....

And Probot cos it's .... Probot!
                            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                            Bakunin

Comment

DEADWING - Porcupine Tree

Comment

Working...
                              X