Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What was the last Vinyl you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the last Vinyl you bought?

I just got an original 1976 copy of Bowie's Station to Station for ten dollars! Vinyl is perfect, sleeve is a bit faded. I also got a nice 180gram vinyl re-release of The Colour of Spring by Talk Talk. Two great albums.

Aahh vinyl. sliding the inner sleeve out of the cover.....slipping the LP in turn out of its inner sleeve.....holding it with finger tip around the edge and thumb on the label.....taking hold properly by the fingertips of both hands......checking for dust and blowing away the bits.....putting it on the turntable and selecting the appropriate speed......lifting the needle up and carefully placing it on the vinyl......hearing that first ever so slight crackle as the needle settles into the groove.......settling back for some quality listening.......reading the cover notes on something big enough to see without a magnifying glass........

those were the days.

The last vinyl I got was an autographed promo 12" of Amy Winehouse's Frank. I've still got it at home amongst the other old vinyl under the spare bad.
    Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

I've got the 10" vinyl of Bowie's next single, Sue (or In A Season of Crime), on pre-order at the moment, but the last vinyl I bought was the 7" Life on Mars? picture disc and before that the Ziggy Stardust 40th Anniversary LP. I'm sure you're beginning to see a theme developing. (I bought my own vinyl copy of StS for £6.51 in 2010, btw.)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'm anxiously awaiting the day when I can get a good turntable and start collecting vinyl again. For now, I don't dare risk it with all the wee ones mucking about. I remember what my brothers and I did to my parents' records back in my early childhood...I don't want to see that happen again!
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I adore vinyl, nothing beats the rich and warm sound quality especially when it's nice and clean and in excellent condition. I've been collecting and enjoying vinyl for somewhere close to thirty years now and it will probably remain my media of choice when it comes to enjoying music. I'm always on the hunt for progressive rock at my local used record stores, book stores and thrift shops and just recently picked up nice copies of Triumvirat - Spartacus, Yes - Tormato, and Rick Wakeman - Criminal Record for the outrageous sum of $1.00 each!
          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

My son and daughter got into vinyl recently. I sold or gave away most of my old lps and singles thirty years ago. However, recently I've started picking up bits and pieces, here and there. Last LP that I bought was a slightly scratched, but playable, copy of, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - The Penthouse Tapes.

Comment

The thing I love about the sound of vinyl as opposed to a digital mix on CD or MP3 is the dynamic range of the analogue sound. Loud sounds are LOUD and quiet sounds are quiet, thre's a sense of distance between the two making the music feel more real. Digital mixes sound thinner and tighter and a lot of CD albums sound like shit due to bad compression and digital noise. The 1976 Station to Station vinyl sounds better than both CD versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                The thing I love about the sound of vinyl as opposed to a digital mix on CD or MP3 is the dynamic range of the analogue sound. Loud sounds are LOUD and quiet sounds are quiet, thre's a sense of distance between the two making the music feel more real. Digital mixes sound thinner and tighter and a lot of CD albums sound like shit due to bad compression and digital noise. The 1976 Station to Station vinyl sounds better than both CD versions.
                There's also the problem where a lot of CD remixes are over-compensating for the bass. Cranked right up, because the bass line used to be a lot quieter and there was more treble, back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I like a bit of bass myself, but I'd like to choose the mix for myself, rather than have it imposed at the cost of bumping all the fine detail off the scale and drowning everything else out in a blurring tsuname of sound. It has spoiled a lot of good music and done a lot of damage to the reputation of digital recording.

Comment

I'm currently using a Technics turntable, which I've been very happy with, but this is my dream turntable...

http://www.elpj.com/

With this turntable you can play the rarest vinyl without ever having to worry about wearing it out.

Comment

It's hard to find here vinyls in good condition the last ... 10 ... 15 years so I really don't remember.
                    Do it today!!! It may be illegal tomorrow!!!

Comment

Picked up a nice copy of U.K. - Danger Money for $4 today at the local bookstore. There was a copy of Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself which I would have liked to have if it wasn't for the fact that the "mirror" on the front cover was missing.

Comment

There's a vinyl pressing factory here in the Netherlands, in Haarlem and there is also one of the best record shops that I've ever visited, Record Friend, in Amsterdam. I haven't actually bought anything there yet, but last time I visited, they had so much good stuff, like Country Joe and the Fish albums, I will go back.

Comment

Nice record store Pietro! In my area this is an awesome shop...

http://www.jerrysrecords.com/

They have a huge inventory, good prices and some very hard to find titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                            I just got an original 1976 copy of Bowie's Station to Station for ten dollars! Vinyl is perfect, sleeve is a bit faded. I also got a nice 180gram vinyl re-release of The Colour of Spring by Talk Talk. Two great albums.
                            Nice one, Octo Seven. I need to work on the large David Bowie shaped hole in my collection, esp considering I dig Fripp and Eno so much..

I got really obsessed with buying vinyl again when I got my new turntable a couple of years ago, but now the prices of vinyl have just gone up by about a third, be it new or second hand, thanks to demand and larger companies spamming the pressing plants with unnecessary represses (and probably paying a premium to do so).. And then I bought some second hand records online with shitty sound, which I had to fix by cleaning them with the record revirginizer goo... It all became a little high maintenance..

So recently I had a look at the second hand CD section of my local record shops and the price of CDs has fallen at an inverse proportion to the amount records have gone up.. I got almost new copies of John Martyn Solid Air on CD and an electric Miles 2CD for a third of the price of vinyl version (new or second hand) and they sound fine...

To cut a long story short, after reading some articles about digital bit rates and learning some LP reissue labels just press vinyl from CDs, I am now a bit ambivalent about the whole vinyl thing.

Mind you, I still try to buy a vinyl version if I can find one, and if that's not handy and a cheap CD version is staring me in the face, I will get the CD.

Anyway, back on topic the last LP I got was the Severed Heads City Slab Horror reissue which contains this gem:

My mate got the Beatles Mono Box-set and played me some tracks the other day. It sounds great.

The irony of sharing youtube videos in a thread about vinyl has not escaped me..

Comment

I honestly can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime in the mid-1980's. I haven't had a turntable since then.
                              “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X