Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rolling Stones R&R Circus: Christmas Stocking filler on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Stones R&R Circus: Christmas Stocking filler on

For those Brits, Europeans and others lucky enough to have access to British terrestrial BBC2 TV:

Christmas Day Night: BBC2
    Sun 26 Dec, 12:10 am - 1:15 am (British Winter Time)
    Rolling Stones: Rock 'n' Roll Circus

The Rolling Stones created rock history with this legendary concert recorded in London on 11th December 1968, 36 years ago to the day.

Originally shot for TV, the show brings together major artists of the time, including The Rolling Stones; John Lennon and Yoko Ono; Eric Clapton; The Who; Marianne Faithful; Jethro Tull and Taj Mahal.
    Apparently, 'The Who' set blows everbody else away! :)

I'll delete this on Boxing Day.

Wow, something worth watching for a change. I understand that this was never screened at the time 'cause the Stones thought they were upstaged. Apparently Brian Jones is barely functioning, but the verdict of posterity is that they were being oversensitive. Should be good!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I think that's one of the three things I actually want to watch on TV this Christmas, although I'm trying not to obsess over the listings as I used to do when I was younger. To be perfectly honest, I've never especially enjoyed the music of The Rolling Stones, although obviously I acknowledge their cultural contributions... but I'll be very excited to see some of the other acts involved. Could be a great show!
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Look out for Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi playing guitar with Jethro Tull and Yoko Ono ruining a perfectly good blues song. The Stones do a cool version of Sympathy for the devil.

Comment

I purchased this DVD a couple of weeks ago after having heard about it and wanting it since it was first filmed. All i can say is..... it was worth the wait! For me, everyone played extremely well and when you see the extras on the DVD and realise it was filmed over the course of 1 day only (about 20 hours of off and on filming from memory), the result is truly remarkable. The Who were great, as was Tull, but as far as upstaging the Stones, I don't think so.

Ken
          Ken Boorman
          Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Having just watched it, I have to say it was a lot better than I'd been led to believe. Even Yoko Ono made me laugh!

The Stones looked pretty damned good to me, too.

Long ago and far away... Pete Townsend looks about 16. Marianne Faithfull looks about 15 and almost indescribably lovely in looks and voice.

I'm glad I taped it, now. :D

Comment

I quite enjoyed Yoko's contribution, although I found the violinist's reaction quite funny too. At the end it's almost as if he was turning to John Lennon to ask "What was that all about then?"
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Yoko, hmmm. :? I thought it was great overall. The orange blankets and flowerpot men hats got me. Like some weird Amish cult. The Who's natural exuberance did make a contrast to Jagger's narcissistic prancings, but the Stones put on a good show alright.
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

These were the days before the guitar tuner! Thought Taj Mahal took the best vocalist on the day. 2nd best show on Uk TV this xmas. Motorhead Ace Of Spades on classic albums took it for me. Reminded me of going to Poole Arts Centre and having my hearing blown away....

Comment

Working...
                  X