Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Misheard Lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misheard Lyrics

I was doing a search for some lyrics and I found this site.... I figured I'd check Hawkwind.... I found this.
    http://www.amiright.com/artists/hawkwind.shtml
    I thought people hear would find it amusing....

When I was a little kid I used to think the National Anthem started with "Jose Can you see?"

Anyone else have some good Misheard Lyrics?

lyrics

"P.X.R.5"
    Misheard Lyrics:
    Three years ago, our overdraft failed and we drifted in space
    The eggs are fried
    Correct Lyrics:
    Three years ago, our nova-drive failed and we drifted in space
    P.X.R. 5
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

get back to you when I think of some...

Comment

I can think of a few.

Actual lyric:

"Love is the first dance of eternity......"

Mis-heard lyric:

"Love is the first dancing turtle....."

--from Dream Theater, "Metropolis Pt. 1" I believe
      This one is so infamous that the band has actually made sly references to it, in graphics and such. :)

Famous ones:

Actual: "There's a bad moon out toniiiight"
      Mis-heard: "There's a bathroom on the riiight"

Actual: "I want to be your forever maaannn"
      Mis-heard: "I want to be your bald-headed maaannnnn..."

:D

Comment

When my nephew was little he thought Band on the Run was Band on the Rug.

Comment

Well, the second half of the first verse of 'Good Girl, Bad Girl' is still giving me fits. Something about "riding your bike on a rainy night." (Mr. M said that's wrong; I've got to wait until he comes back so I can pester him some more about it)

In a Hawkwind vein, when I was working out 'The Demented Man,' The first verse went: "Questions asked, but never known/ 'Penny gobbers' which way I'll go"; actually, it's " . . . the feeling governs which way I'll go." I thought 'Penny gobbers' was some British expression.

And for the longest time, I thought The Beatles 'Paperback Writer' was 'Take the back right turn.'
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Probably the most famous one is The Israelites by Desmond Dekker, which sounds like 'Me ears are alight'. Memorex or some other tape company used this and Into The Valley by The Skids in an advert in the 80s with two guys standing up Bob Dylan style, holding cards with the misheard lyrics on. They were pretty funny.

There used to be a misheard lyrics spot on Radio 1 years ago (think it was Noel Edmonds). Some people swore that the backing singers on Teddy Bear by Elvis are singing 'Hot Banana. Hot Banana' I'm not sure what they actually are singing.

Although they don't count as misheard lyrics, The Beatles were saucy lads and used to drop sexual references into their songs, like the 'fish and finger pie' line in Penny Lane.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

In the beginning of 90s, Megadeth's Countdown album was out. I was singing "High Speed Dirt" as hasssiktir (pronounced as written; which means f.ck you in Turkish) :lol: My English was really poor then..
              http://soundandclouds.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by seda
                In the beginning of 90s, Megadeth's Countdown album was out. I was singing "High Speed Dirt" as hasssiktir (pronounced as written; which means f.ck you in Turkish) :lol: My English was really poor then..
                Seda, Can you guess what song on that album has lyrics misheard as:

"Just like fireflies and then rat soup"?

Also my brother Jareth came up with the following classic for the rock song "Layla" by "Derek and the Dominoes":

"Layla! put your trousers on sardine!"

Comment

Symphony of Destruction, isn't it, Etive?
                  :lol:
                  http://soundandclouds.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's the one

Comment

Actually I think the most famous is Jimi Hendrix's "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" being heard as "Scuse me while I kiss this guy". Even Ozzy admited to hearing it that way in Decline of the Western Civilization Pt. 2.

My old band used to do a really messed up cover of "My Generation" by the Who using lyrics from an Indonesian bootleg cassette lyric sheet. They were all screwed up, but the best part was, "Why don't you all fail away!" Perfect version for the slacker generation I always thought.
                      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Whilst not a lyric, the thread reminded me of bookseller's misheard titles - my favorite is that children's classic 'Lionel Ritchie and his Wardrobe'...
                        Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

I knew somebody who mistook the Queen lyric 'Rushing headlong' for 'Russian headlock'. He always assumed it was some sort of wrestling move. Actually, the same guy thought that Michael Jackson was singing 'Eddie are you okay? Are you okay Eddie?' in Smooth Criminal.

Comment

A promoter I know once got a demo tape that was just chock-full-o covers, including "Purple Hero" by Jimi.

Comment

Originally posted by CandyFlossCow
                              Actually, the same guy thought that Michael Jackson was singing 'Eddie are you okay? Are you okay Eddie?' in Smooth Criminal.
                              That's what I thought he was saying. What's he actually saying?

Comment

Working...
                              X