Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Blind Guardian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Guardian

I know Moorcock loves Rockآ´nآ´Roll but I never heard anything about he liking Blind Guardian, or at least knowing them. Do anyone knows his thoughts about that great german band? :?:
    \\

hi lordmarioh!

well, Blind Guardian... one of my alltime favourites! fantasy metal, for those who donآ´t know. they are heavily influenced by Tolkien (doh...), and Steven King, but also by Mr. Moorcocks Eternal Champion. their best contribution maybe is the song "Quest for Tanelorn", done 11 years ago or so.

they havenآ´t written any multiversal lyrics recently. but they should...

Comment

Yeah Kard I think the same...

Since they've done NIME (a whole concept album about The SIlmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien), they should do a concept album over some incarnations of the champion... Just imagine the song about Ulrich Von Bek... :mrgreen:
      \\

Comment

blind guardian

Blind Guardian are without a doubt one of the greatest bands of all time. NIME is my number one album! They actually got me into Moorcocks books, so without Blind Guardian i would of never had heard of the bearded one. When i first found out from Blind Guardian the mighty works of Moorcock, when i actually got round to reading some of his books it was like all these legendary characters that i had heard about only in song and legendary had come to life, and was without a doubt the best litary experience that i had ever had! and all thanks to the increadible songs of Blind Guardian. The first i read the the first Corum trilogy (undoubtly the greatest book ever written) and when Elric and Erekose made their awesome cameos, it felt like such gathering of heroes whick i had all heard of (from Blind Guardian of course), but never had actually seen.
        Some metal bands which sing about the Eternal Champion are Domine, Cauldron Born (i think). Actually thats all i can think off, but there may be more out there.

Comment

Just a quick drop in -- I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Hawkwind, which, of course, is the band I'm most closely associated with. They have made
          The Chronicle of the Black Sword about Elric and several EC related albums, including Warrior on the Edge of Time. I appear on some of these.
          Another band which has done an Elric song is Blue Oyster Cult (Black Blade)
          and I've written a couple of others for the -- Veteran of the Pyschic Wars
          and The Great Sun Jester. Tygers of Pan Tang is another (Manchester) band which recently reformed and there is of course also Zakas, whose current album (recommended elsewhere) actually has a Brom picture of Elric as the cover. Quite a few others, including the short-lived Stormbringer who appeared at one of the DragonCons in Atlanta a few
          years back. There have been a fair number of bands and artists who have
          claimed to be influenced by Elric and the EC, including Mark Bolan of T.
          Rex and then, of course, there's my own band Deep Fix which has one or two related tracks. Hawkwind's Kings of Speed was written by me and relates to Jerry Cornelius. We hope to be putting some of the demos I did with Pete Pavli and Lang Jones up on a site as soon as we get the time.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Oh My God!!! You're really a Rockآ´nآ´Roll man!

I guess we didn't mention them because we didn't know them... Just like Blind Guardian (which only now, after 14 years playing had their first USA show).

But I've downloaded a Hawkwind song. It's kind of cool, psychodelic, I might say... But I still prefer Blind Guardian... They're much more agressive...

Just a final add: We all forgot to mention Deep Purple with their song Stormbringer...
            \\

Comment

Originally posted by lordmarioh
              But I've downloaded a Hawkwind song. It's kind of cool, psychodelic, I might say... But I still prefer Blind Guardian... They're much more agressive...
              Try Blue أ–yster Cult! They can be psychodelic, too but in general they're a bit more into rock.

And then there is the band "Domine" who made the albums :

Champion Eternal
              Dragonlord
              Stormbringer Ruler

All the albums are, like their names say, Elric themed, though there are other songs mixed in. And they're of the louder kind, too.

Comment

I didn't mention Purple's Stormbringer or John Martyn's Stormbringer, both of which were unconscious lifts, I think. When Purple were asked why they were using my title they said 'It's mythological' -- 'No it isn't, said the NME
                interviewer...
                There are quite a few bands who I don't even remember who've used
                material by me or derived from me. There was a real mix of people in
                Ladbroke Grove in the 60s and 70s -- rock bands, writers, artists -- and we all knew one another. I guess you could call those years my glory years!
                Nothing's been quite as much fun since!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

EC and Rock

Hello !
                  Just a few impressions about some of the bands you're talking of :
                  - Blind Guardian is a great heavy metal band, but I think they are better in Tolkien-inspired songs than in EC - it's, for me, just a question of atmosphere - I prefer "The Bard's Song" to "The Quest For Tanelorn", for exemple.
                  - It's a shame, but Hawkwind discs are hard to find in France ! I've just found Space ritual and the album -don't remember the title- who issued just before. I saw Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do (is this the right title ?). I love their works till the eighties, but it's not as good thereafter... I'd like to find other Hawkwind Stuff ! Some discs have been re-issued with new beautiful jackets...Maybe in Paris ? anybody knows how to find'em ?
                  - For me Blue Oyster Cult is a very great band, with a heavy metal power and strong rock'n'roll feeling ; you should all listen their four first albums, along with "Fire Of Unknown Origin" (with Veteran Of Psychic Wars, which I prefer to the two others- it's a very great song !!!) and "Imaginos" - this one is a bijou !!!
                  - I really like The Deep Fix - but, as I'm rather bad at listening spoken english, I'd like to find the lyrics ; and I don't find them... Somebody knows where could I find'em ?
                  Thank you, and a bonjour to everybody from France !

Comment

Domine's 1st and 3rd albums are trully amazing. Especially some songs like "The Chronicles Of The Black Sword", "The Eternal Champion" and "Horn Of Fate" really kick ass.. for anyone kin to the sound of epic power metal.
                    Michael have u listened to any? If not you must.

Comment

Maybe I am still the only one here whose favourite bands are both Hawkwind and Blind Guardian. And I discovered both thanks to Michael Moorcock.

Early in 1995 I've read in his brief biogrpahy in some Russiam Sci-Fi magazine that he was involved in the band Hawkwind. So I went to a shop and bought Live Chronicles and Chronicle of the Black Sword - both based on Elric... So now I have about 200 cds by Hawkwind and related, went to one their latest concerts last August in Amsterdam, Holland, was really impressed by heavy, groovy and spacey performance, the band was very nice.

I bought my first cds of Blind Guardian after I found out that some pf their songs are based on Moorcock books. Great band, they visited Russia two times in 2002, wonderful concerts.

For those who want to discover some Hawkwind I would recommend:
                      early 70's albums for those who are more into heavy stoner/psychedelic stuff, mid 70's - who likes melodic art-rock and late 70's who are into poetry and glam/new wave/punk rock.

80's are mostly for those who love Heavy Metal and smooth guitar leads.

90's for those who are into synthesizer experiments, electronic heaviness and ambient soundscapes.

Live 2000+ - truly new rebirth of the band at its best.

All this is only my IMHO of course.

Comment

I only heard one Hawkwind song, and it is "Elric the Enchanter". I didnآ´t like it at first sight (or listen) but I didn't like Deep Fix the first time I heard either... But now I love "New World's Fair" (Candy Floss Coowboooy).

As for Domine I think they're really cool, but their sometimes too epic for me... only sometimes... :D

Blind Guardian is still the best for me... Hey Mr. Moorcock is there any chances for them to play any song in the Elric Movie? You know, they wrote some songs for LOTR but Tolkien's Family (Christopher actually) rejected them.
                        \\

Comment

I'm not familiar with Blind Guardian, but then I don't have much access to record stores out here at the Circle Squared and am usually dependent on what people send me or recommend. So I'll be watching out for them.
                          As for the movie music, I still think 'classical' as opposed to 'rock' might be the best answer. Of course, it might also be possible to come up with a combination of the two, especially since there is so much music out there -- from Tygers of Pan Tang, Zakas, Hawkwind, Blue Oyster Cult and so on -- which draws on Elric for inspiration. I'm still inclined to think that the music for the TV Robin Hood series by, as I recall, Clannad, was the most atmospheric I've ever heard.

Comment

My wife absolutely adores Clannad and though I don't toss the CD in, when I can hear it, it sort of disappears but sets a mood. Marie Brennan can capture the sounds of loneliness, tragedy, hopelessness, dignity, nobility and that swelling expectation without being obvious. Her voice would really bring some feminity to the piece without sounding like a soapy "chick-flick" soundtrack. The music just captures things like warmth and cold too.

http://www.clannad.net/clannad/clanhome.asp

Stuart Smith's guitar work might work during certain martial scenes. R&R and Clanad fusion seems like a tremendous idea.

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            as I recall, Clannad, was the most atmospheric I've ever heard.
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

weird...I was just saying "no-one has mentioned Hawkwind.."....
                              I discovered Michael Moorcock and Hawkwind at the same time quite independently - It was a while before I reilized that the guy who wrote the books I was reading was also performing with the mighty Hawkwind :oops: . I've had the pleasure of seeing hawkwind live about 10 years ago ( is Dave Brock still kicking about?).

Other great bands by the way :

Porcupine tree www.porcupinetree.com
                              Ozric tentacles http://www.geocities.com/ozrictentacles_web/
                              marillion http://www.marillion.com/

.oh, and here is my music... http://mindsculpture.dmusic.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X