Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

best album of the 21'st Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best album of the 21'st Century

Death Magnetic by Metallica gets my vote. The musicionship on this album alone is what gets my vote. It is better even than Ok Computer by Radiohead the best album of the 90's IMHO. It shows you what a differance a base player can make. Bob Rock the producer of Metallicas albums played base on Snt Anger their previos album. This time they got Ozzy Ozbourne's base player. And it makes all the difference in the world. Thumbs up to Metallica for answering their critics in the best posible way. So what do you think is the best album of the century so far. edit. I think I Should say that the musicianship on Death Magnetic is better than Ok Computer but Ok Computer has way better songs.
    Last edited by flutegirlrockz; 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM.

well i guess i've got to give that album a listen then, with such a stunning endorsement. really i've always felt 'tallica to be overrated, and while i really liked puppets and justice i thought slayer, testament and megadeth were always better thrash bands. heck, i enjoyed anthrax more. i don't really listen to metal anymore, but i'm going to give death magnetic its day in court.

i couldn't possibly choose one, but here are a few, in no particular order
    arctic monkeys - whatever people say i am thats what i'm not
    wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot
    the avalanches - since i left you
    modest mouse - moon and antartica
    broken social scene - you forgot it in people
    titus andronicus - the monitor
    kanye west - college dropout

Comment

nobody has picked two of my fav albums of all time, and a number I'll never worry about coming up on a random-play. Guess which if you can be bothered!
      As for the question: I'll need to mull before I give a prevaricated non-answer!

Comment

well now you've got me wondering rothgo... i often try to puzzle out why i like certain things, and why others do or don't, it's one of those things that keep my mind occupied a lot. the obvious choice for one album probably not being liked for someone who likes the others would be college dropout, being that it is hiphop, although since i left you is also quite like a hiphop album whilst entirely not being a hiphop album.

Comment

The Fire in our Throats will Beckon the Thaw: Pelican

Cathedral: Corpsecycle

Zombi: Surface to Air

Boards of Canada: High Scores

Cathedral: The Guessing Game

Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

My favourite is the one that Motorhead are goin to make in 2098!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
              ...that would include a "Killed by Death" cover, right?
              Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Something from this overly small group!

Killers: Hot Fuzz
                Gnarls Barkley: St Elsewhere
                Coldplay: A Rush of Blood to the Head
                Outkast: Stankonia
                Eminem: Marshall Mathers LP
                Wilko: Yankie Hotel Foxtrot
                Modest Mouse: Moon and Antartica
                Martyn Bennett: Grit
                Sons and Daughters: Love the Cup
                Two Gallants: The Throes
                Mark Eitzel: The Invisible Man
                Elbow: Asleep at the Back
                Wolfmother: Wolfmother

Perhaps.

Radio Soulwax's Too Many DJs was disqualified under the Baker Street rules.

Comment

Dunno yet. I'll tell you in 88 years time.

My favourite so far is The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                    Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                    ...that would include a "Killed by Death" cover, right?
                    Yep...and of course...Dead Stoned Forever!!
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

ahhh rothgo, yankee hotel foxtrot and moon and antartica, yeah i see. interesting list, with a fair few albums i can't recall hearing about. i don't at all care for coldplay, i thought the marshall mathers album was great but not great enough to be included in my list, and stankonia was also a good album. the killers was a band i always meant to listen to more but never got around to it. taking that and my list into consideration, what else on your list should i run, not walk, to listen to? also what were the albums on my list you didn't like?

Comment

I do appreciate that lots of folks don't like Coldplay: this causes me no distress because (a) I'm not in Coldplay and (b) anything worth listening to will surely be as much disliked as liked by folks prepared to listen (we'll ignore the drones following trends).

Given what you've outlined, I doubt Wolfmother will be up your street: they are basically "enormously good fun rock / metalish" - no new twists and turns as such, just simple stuff done very well and with big grins. The Killers are one to watch out for - but in a specific manner, that being only to bother with Hot Fuzz and ignore the rest which is pretty tedious (that of course just being my POV).

Two Gallants can get a bit "more-of-the-same" but that particular album works very well, like a more angry (seriously) stripped down early-Modest Mouse. Well, not really, but sort-of. "Alt Country" is a bizarre classification after all.

Eitzel and Elbow can be a bit on the navel-gazing side of life, but they do do it so well! Elbow tend to the "anthems" more than Eitzel does: one can't move in the UK without hearing some Elbow snippets getting their oar in somewhere, though mainly from later albums.

As Martyn Bennett was a mate of mine, I'm shockingly biased and can't be trusted there. He once compared Grit to Moby's Play, saying he did similar stuff (an assembly on snippets into a greater whole, in Martyn's case in a "techo-folk"-ish genre) though he was different 'cos he "knew everyone he nicked from" (and paid them all to the point of getting nothing for himself as it happens). So a bit of a link with the most excellent Avalanches - I love that album, but it just didn't quite make my list.

Gnarls just has the most amazing voice for a wee fat bloke - and a sharp sense of humor too! Sons and Daughters are a little messy / rough around the edges but I saw them supporting, The Delgadoes I think it was, and from their support slot, blew the main act away. A good show in the Barras always sicks in the mind. That's their first (and roughest) first album I mentioned: the second was a little ropey but they seem to have returned to form of late. Cold War Kids did much the same with their first album, though their live performance was so much better than the recorded album that the album didn't get in. C'est la vie.

Now all the above sounds very pollo-necked muso, but then anyone can do that. Especially those with pollo-necks. But when I see your list, I'll admit to quite some ignorance, so the image all falls apart pronto. I've never heard of broken social scene or titus andronicus, so I may well look 'em out somewhere - a good rec is always worth following (I'd never have played Porcupine Tree or Tangerine Dream if not for posts on this forum). And just to prove the point that consistency is the bane of musical appreciation, my general liking of popular pop goes awol with the Artic Monkeys and Kanye West; both do nothing for me. I'm sure neither of them are that bothered though - there are plenty enough folks who disagree!
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Off the top of my head i will throw in Fear of a Blank Planet by the aforementioned Porcupine Tree and Small Craft on a Milk Sea by Brian Eno.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well, I've just found Black Country Communion. Ignore the terrible name, they are pretty good classic rock with a 21st Century feel. And a pretty good lineup. Smokin' hot guitarist, a bassist from Deep Purple, a keyboard player from Dream Theatre, and a drummer from Led Zeppelin and Bonham. Some good songs. 'Song of Yesterday', 'Save Me' (which to me has a hint of 'Kashmir' about it), 'The Battle for Hadrian's Wall', bunch of others over 2 albums. Highly recommended.

Comment

My favorite is Arch / Matheos Sympathetic Resonance . This features long time retired former Fates Warning singer John Arch, brilliant lyrics writer and singer extraordinary. Arch is a humble man, he had left Fates Warning to better support his family and has returned better than when he left the music scenario more than 20 years ago. I am huge fan of Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic Parts one and two and I love a band called Twisted Into Form "The Comes the Affliction To Awaken The Dreamer". And Pyschotic Waltz is reformed, if they release an album, that would be IT.
                              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                              X