Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

aaaarrghhhh fiddlesticks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaarrghhhh fiddlesticks!

is anyone else feeling suicidal after Tom Waits' only gig in the U.K. since 1987 sells out after 26 Minutes!!

That's it!!
    I'm off the the pub and I may be some time

WHAT?!

Oh, man! I love Tom Waits. He could have easily crammed in 5-6 dates over here. That's just unfair.

I think I may join you down the pub
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I just had a look at the kind of stupid prices that people would be asking on Ebay. Reave, do yourself a favour and don't look!
      Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Bob - I looked

I'll see you down the pub

Comment

Hi. I'm new.

I saw your post and wanted to reply... ticket prices are insane, and it's really unfair to fans, I think.

Comment

It is unfair, indeed. Although idiots like me would pay the silly things they are asking.

Tom Waits is great!

Comment

Riotgrrl

Naming no names, but's also astonishing how much ticket prices have gone up since a certain alcohol business muscled into live music in the U.K., bought loads of venues and rip off the fans (doubly so when you see the prices of the godawful beer they sell in the venues). Big business ripping people off, so what's new. You probably have a similar experience across the pond in the USA.

oh well, I'll live. there must be more more important things in life (can't think of any at the moment, but there must be...).

aha :D great idea - we could clone Tom!

Comment

*cough budweiser coors cough cough*

It's also very upsetting the way they're re-naming the stadiums with commercial names like Pepsi Arena, etc. *puke*

There are very few bands I'd ever pay that much to see, few are worth it. So.. when you love Tom Waits (or Iron Maiden) as the case may be.. we just plunk down the cash.

Comment

I'm a big fan of a new rap group called Northern State, bless their hoodies, and I've just had an e-mail saying they'll be coming to the UK. Now I'd love to see them live, but I'm already predicting (in my pessimistic style) that by "the UK" they actually mean "three major cities in incovenient locations around the UK". It's understandable of course, because they aren't that big over here and it's a business so the promoters have to know they'll sell enough tickets, but it's the thought of hotel costs on top of everything else that deters me. Still, that's my own fault for making friends with people who favour motorbikes over cars. If I was a real fan, I should be prepared to travel and rough it and get knifed while riding the undergound at night... of course, if I was an American type I could see them play an all ages show with Cake, which would pretty much rock... but I'm just a tea-sippin' Brit. Poo to me.

Sorry, just me ranting again,

D...
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Are Northern State those who got billed as a 'female Beastie Boys'? The name rings a bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                      Are Northern State those who got billed as a 'female Beastie Boys'? The name rings a bell.
                      Yes indeed... it's either slightly patronising or a huge compliment, depending on how seriously you take such media tags. Obviously they might be a little too white/female/liberal arts/post-graduate for some tastes, but I love their stuff. Also, they didn't threaten to sue me after seeing the terribly unflattering cartoons I drew of them for my site, so I have to give them "props".

Song samples can be found at:

http://www.northernstate.net/

Fans of Har Mar Superstar will probably find them cropping up on his new album, as part of a guest-star exchange programme after his appearance on their new disc.

Sorry for turning this thread in to a plug, but I want to have their babies, so I'm not really sorry at all,

D...
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

There's a lot of people are refusing the high ticket prices and as a result the halls aren't being filled. People aren't paying the prices. You can tell this by the numbers of tickets being hastily discounted for, say, Madonna.
                        The advantage of Austin, of course, is that you can see all kinds of great bands for relatively little. I thought it a bit pricey to see Dylan at the Backyard last year, but it was a lot cheaper than it would have been almost anywhere else (and a great concert it was, too).
                        Hawkwind was one of those bands that tried to keep seat prices low,
                        just as Pearl Jam tried a few years ago. But the bands are up against the Man in almost all aspects of the profession, these days. As for the Stones and others of their kind, they're just greedy old men, in my view.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

While I agree with the general sentiment of high ticket prices, I also agree with MM about the good of living in Austin.

The Austin City Limits Festival takes place over three days. For about $80 (for all three days) I'll get to see Wilco, Elvis Costello, Ben Harper, the Pixies, Ryan Adams, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, the Killers, Toots and the Maytalls, and Sheryl Crow (among many others).

Maybe I wanted to brag. :D :oops:

Comment

I think I would pay anything to see Toots live.

The last concert I saw was for the benefit of my wife, Yanni. eeeesh. I had a head cold and we got nose bleed seats to hear this guy yammering on about nothing. Something like $45 per seat.

The last decent concert was Sting in Frankfurt 1988, but the poor bastard was sick. By the way, you can't pick up German women at a Sting concert.

The best concert ever was Monsters of Rock 87 in Nurenburg. Deep Purple headlined, Cinderella, Metallica, Scorpions and many other excellent acts raised hell for like 10 hours. Rah!
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Working...
                            X