Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Diferent Types of rock music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellaz
    replied
    "There's two types of music: the kind you like, and the kind you don't like!"

Yep! At the end of the day, this is basically what it all comes down to.

The only reasonably successful way to describe musical genres seems to be via 'extensional definition': naming bands and dropping them into genres. And even this approach is fraught with peril, as one man's 'speed-metal' might be another man's 'power-metal.' Or new-age, for that matter. (Skyclad, anyone? :))

Bleah. Compartmentalism sucks. To paraphrase a writer MM doesn't like much, "To enjoy music, take big bites. Categorization is for monks!" :D I like some diversity in my music, both from bands themselves, and overall. My CD list (click here), wherein you can find, e.g., Opeth near Ozric Tentacles, or The Cruxshadows close to Cryptopsy, has become a bit of an in-joke amongst my friends. :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Yeah, but the problem with those genre fields is you get things like all of Brian Eno's Before and After Science album being put in as "New Age", including some rather rocking songs...

Leave a comment:

• M-A_19
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepFixer
    Yeah, most music 'definitions' are for what bin to put it in in the record store (arrgh, showing my age with that term!)
    Hey, get with it daddyo! music definitions exist so we can fill in the "genre" field on our MP3 files!

what's a "record store" anyway?

Leave a comment:

• DeepFixer
    replied
    Yeah, most music 'definitions' are for what bin to put it in in the record store (arrgh, showing my age with that term!)

Once, in describing Hawkwind, I used the phrase 'psychedelic-heavy-jazz,' whic sort of fits their early stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Cypher
    replied
    I think I would go with DeepFixer's quote:
    "There's two types of music: the kind you like, and the kind you don't like!"
    People, particularly the music press, try to fit bands and musical styles into neat little boxes. I suppose it can give some indication of the 'flavour' of rock, or other music for that matter, that a band or artist plays. In Time Out, a London magazine that lists gigs. Attempts are made to inform their readers, as to the genre certain bands fit into. I am often amazed by the number of categories they can come up with. If all else fails, they stick two or three together, such as 'nuggety funk, old-skool, soul, punk, psych blues'!
    So the original question is almost impossible to answer, as new or combined definitions abound. That said, if I was to say what the rock bands I like, are catagorised as, it would be 'post-rock'- a totally meaningless term.
    :D

Leave a comment:

• Wizard
    replied
    I think there is no reasons to divide rock music to different types. Just listen what you like.

PS: I like death and speed metal :P

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    With only a hand full of exceptions, most of the best, most enduring music was exactly that which DIDN'T adhere to one classification. Or was much more than the one that was usually pinned on the band.

Led Zeppelin, much more than a blues band.
    Beatles, much more than a pop band.
    Genesis, much more than a prog band.
    Motorhead, much more than a metal band.

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moody
    Hawkwind is something of a 'Total-Art-Form'.
    All aspects of human creativity are included within its ambit; it really eludes all barriers.

It is also a community, like a viking war-band.
    Sounds like like your describing
    R. Wagners idea of 'Gesamtkunstwerk'.

Leave a comment:

• Moody
    replied
    Hawkwind is something of a 'Total-Art-Form'.
    All aspects of human creativity are included within its ambit; it really eludes all barriers.

It is also a community, like a viking war-band.

Hawkwind itself gives the lie to the classification madness that tries to define musicians as if they were fossils.

I know less about BOC [although I've listened to much of their stuff and admired it, particularly Black Blade].
    I recall that in a way BOC actually set out to be the heaviest band on the planet - they sought to be 'blacker than black'.

And that in itself is soemthing of an occult ambition; maybe Hawkwind themselves had a similar goal.

Some are drawn to sweet delight; some are drawn to the Endless Night.

Stacia Leach of Hawkwind

Leave a comment:

• techtor
    replied
    Sub-genres

Moody, I agree w/ you on the point about sub-genres... they're a marketing thing... as I said, good for selling stuff. Think of how much the record companies and paid music download sites are earning over this. Better that when it comes to a song, either you love it or hate it... or just could plain bear w/ it.

I have yet to gain my first taste of Hawkwind and Blue Oyster... I've missed a lot I must say.

Leave a comment:

• Moody
    replied
    Lemmy got it right - have you read his 'White Line Fever'?

Once you start to subdivide genres etc., you are killing music.
    No Spirit is so small that it can be divided up into compartments.

Two types of music; Good and Bad.

To me it all comes down to TONE; the kind of rich, full, throaty tone that all good music has.
    Bad music is always shallow, tinny and vapid - lacking in tone.

All the various sub-genres of rock are mainly a marketing thing, and so aligned to money, not music.

When Hawkwind were starting out, such labels didn't exist and the bands were able to play anything out of sheer creativity.

Listen to the Hawk's first album, and how different it is to the next one and the one after that.
    Despite the musical scope, they all have the TONE that all great music has.

Also, good music dances in the head and opens up vistas of the imagination; it can be listened to again again without tedium.

Hawkwind have passed the test of time - their music, like their spirit is immortal.
    And they are beyond classification, as 'space rock' doesn't actually MEAN anything.

Leave a comment:

• techtor
    replied
    New Wave rock

Heya. I'm a follower of the 80's new wave movement... and there's lot of rock there. Don't know if there are any listeners of this movement here... but I bet you're mostly of diff genres. :D

U know, I've heard a lot of terms trying to define different kinds of rock and metal. I've heard death metal, dark metal, acid rock, glam rock, hard rock, soft rock, punk rock, power ballad, hardcore rock, hair bands, pop rock, folk rock, rock in the head, etc. I guess they'll be as many as the record companies want them to be... makes a good basis for selling stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Brainstorm
    replied
    Newbie to site!

Well i've been reading some of the posts in the forum,very interesting stuff indeed.
    I'm new on here and having been a Hawkwind fan for as long as i can remember am amazed i didn't find this site earlier!! :lol: :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Lemmy is certainly one of those types who defies genres personally, so the comment is complete appropriate coming from him. Despite Motorhead forever getting lumped in with metal, he came out of space rock and obviously knows a thing or two about punk. Without Motorhead you could have no thrash or death metal, and yet they don't fit into those subgenres at all.

I think for every word in the dictionary there's a subgenre of rock that somebody or other will get behind!

Leave a comment:

• DeepFixer
    replied
    I would go for a very simple definition, roughly quoted from Our Man Lemmy: "There's two types of music: the kind you like, and the kind you don't like!" :D

You could probably spend a long time siting different types of 'Rock,' and by the time you were done, five more would've been invented!

I remember that insound.com used to have a pull-down menu of 'music genres' for you to browse through, and they had many different genres there. 'Space Rock,' 'Surf Rock,' 'Shoe-Gazing(?),' 'Stoner Rock.' 'Trance Rock,' and on like that.

I think I'll stick with Lemmy's definition

Leave a comment:

Working...
X