Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Diferent Types of rock music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but the problem with those genre fields is you get things like all of Brian Eno's Before and After Science album being put in as "New Age", including some rather rocking songs...
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

"There's two types of music: the kind you like, and the kind you don't like!"

Yep! At the end of the day, this is basically what it all comes down to.

The only reasonably successful way to describe musical genres seems to be via 'extensional definition': naming bands and dropping them into genres. And even this approach is fraught with peril, as one man's 'speed-metal' might be another man's 'power-metal.' Or new-age, for that matter. (Skyclad, anyone? :))

Bleah. Compartmentalism sucks. To paraphrase a writer MM doesn't like much, "To enjoy music, take big bites. Categorization is for monks!" :D I like some diversity in my music, both from bands themselves, and overall. My CD list (click here), wherein you can find, e.g., Opeth near Ozric Tentacles, or The Cruxshadows close to Cryptopsy, has become a bit of an in-joke amongst my friends. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
      X