Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What Is Your Favorite Cult Movie From This List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Your Favorite Cult Movie From This List

Please choose the cult movie which you enjoyed the most from this list.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Easy Rider
    Heavy Metal
    Trainspotting
    Reefer Madness
    Fritz The Cat
    The Wall
    The Wild One
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Dirty Harry
    The Valley Of The Dolls
    Helter Skelter
    Quadrophenia
    Gimmee Shelter
    Plan 9 From Outer Space
    Tommy
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    20.00%
    Easy Rider
    10.00%
    Heavy Metal
    15.00%
    Trainspotting
    10.00%
    Reefer Madness
    0.00%
    Fritz The Cat
    0.00%
    The Wall
    5.00%
    The Wild One
    5.00%
    Magical Mystery Tour
    10.00%
    Dirty Harry
    10.00%
    The Valley Of The Dolls
    0.00%
    Helter Skelter
    0.00%
    Quadrophenia
    5.00%
    Gimmee Shelter
    0.00%
    Plan 9 From Outer Space
    0.00%
    Tommy
    10.00%

I wouldn't really call it 'cult' personally, but from that list I'm voting for Dirty Harry. Apart from Clint's iconic presence in the film, I just love Don Siegel's way of filming, from his camera angles to the way he moves the camera, and Lalo Schifrin's score totally compliments the visuals as well.

Two great cinematic moments in the film where both these elements come together:

1) The pull-back/reveal of the sports field when Harry shoots Scorpio and tortures him to reveal the location of teenage kidnap victim as Scorpio's cries of pain mix with the soundtrack

2) The shot of Harry standing on the freeway gantry as the bus of schoolchildren hijacked by Scorpio drives up to and then underneath him.

Memorable quote:
    Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross! [walks out of the room]
    The Mayor: He's got a point.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 06-25-2006, 03:53 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I chose Trainspotting, I love that movie. -aside from that one scene when he is coming off junk. I would like to go on to add-Kelly MacDonald!-holy smokes! plus Ewan was so great in the film, not to mention all the funny Sean Connery references. The conversations and dilogue make it a wonderful classic!

I like movies about a group of friends, even if they all are messed up.

I like Dirty Harry of course, but my tastes have changed since I first saw it and I like movies of heroes and heroic deeds, but I don't really relate to someone going around and "blowing someone's head clean off" as much as I used to. I like Eastwood's westerns better, I think, because they don't take place in modern society. I still like it though. the strange thing is I think I like Death Wish better. I feel the need for revenge in that movie, a bit more, haha.

Heavy Metal is always cool, I would choose that third if I could.

Easy Rider 4th-it is indeed cult classic.

Rocky Horror?-I only watch with friends, the others I can watch alone and enjoy,plus I kinda got over the shock value by this time. ;)

excellent poll!

-Lemec
      Last edited by lemec; 06-25-2006, 04:01 PM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I voted Qadrophenia A mithical movie of when I was 15
        Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

I chose Tommy for it has a taste of everything thrown into the mix.
          Anne Margaret and Oliver Reed made the abstract story somewhat believable.
          Lets see...sex,(of all genders with Keith Moon as Uncle Ernie) drugs with Tina Turner as the acid queen, violence and motorcycles with the biker battle and WW2 excerpts and lots of enjoyable music to boot.There are a lot of famous guests in this movie also such as Eric Clapton and Elton John.
          A classic.
          Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Heavy Metal all the way. The animation is still some of the best I have ever seen, and the soundtrack has a lot of my favorite songs.
            A lot of other interesting choices too.

Comment

Easy Rider, I even wore a digger's hat with leopard-skin pugaree like Nicholson for many years and felt like Born to be Wild! on my motor scooter

I miss a dash of Monty Python in the list, however, then M*A*S*H, Yellow Submarine, a good measure of Jim Jarmush, Harold and Maude (!!!)
              and last not least Johnny Got His Gun (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun)

More I suppose, perhaps Heaven's Gate ..., Les Enfants du Paradis ...
              Last edited by L'Etranger; 06-26-2006, 11:02 AM.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

L'Etranger Wrote
                More I suppose, perhaps Heaven's Gate ..., Les Enfants du Paradis ...
                We can have as many lists as the members of the Moorcockian Tribe desire.Or we can start another list when this one subsides in a weeks time.
                That is what is so wild about this site, its like some sort of massive computer commune ( without the sex & drugs ).
                What kind of scooter did you ride with such a "heatscore" cap?
                I had a brand new one of these in 1974 and the sucker did 135 mph right out of the box!!

Yeah ShNorton!!

Comment

Good golly, a Norton Commando! Mine was really not much more than a scooter, a Sachs Hercules Sport Bike with 5,3 hp doing 55 mph, but it was gigantic fun in the woods!
                  http://www.moped-museum.de/hercules/...sport-bike.jpg
                  and of course it was refitted with a more adventurous steering bar, Italian carburator burrrp!, and all.
                  Early 1970's, about the time I got hold of my first Moorcock books.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

A two stroke screamer eh? Have you any ligaments left in your right knee? Did it have oil injection or did you have to premix the fuel yourself?
                    You must have been a nasty little "sleazy rider" mounted upon such a noble steed!
                    It would have been a freakin blast in the dirt!
                    I can see passenger pegs in the photo. Ever "pack" a momma??

Comment

None of my favourites there - I ticked "Magical Mystery Tour" because of the brief appearance of Ivor Cutler, one of my heroes. Quadrophenia is close - I dig the album, but the movie is spoiled by Sting looking like a teacher at the school disco. King of the Mods I don't think so. As for "The Wall", sometimes I like it, sometimes I think PF should have disbanded when Syd lost the plot. And "Tommy" - that Scummer (football term) Ken Russell burnt down our pier filming it!
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Chose The Wall, though I'm not sure it's a 'cult' film. I might have chosen Rocky Horror or Heavy Metal, but I just like The Wall more overall. Plus, I wrote a paper on it in college and got high marks.

Had A Clockwork Orange been up there, I'd have been tempted to click that.
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

MMT was my vote from the list, that, The Wild One, and Fritz the Cat were probably the only ones I could sit all the way through at home, theaters are different, if the popcorns good enough and the raisonettes are plentiful I can sit quite a bit of moving wallpaper.
                          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I went with Heavy Metal from the list, although there are quite a few pleasantly-remembered films there. Quite a few of them, including The Wall, Fritz The Cat, Tommy, Quadrophenia, The Song Remains The Same and of course Rocky Horror Picture Show used to be shown as midnight movies here in Atlanta when I was in high school. A few others, too....I remember Fire And Ice being shown, which was basically Ralph Bakshi's "I'll do an Elric movie anyway!" film.

Rocky Horror is still shown as a midnight movie here, with an excellent live cast. I know them pretty well.

Heavy Metal wins, though. Great animation, great soundtrack, and Mike wrote one of the songs!

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                              ...and Mike wrote one of the songs!
                              That he did! Forgot about that, which is sad considering my username...

...I think I want to change my answer.
                              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
                              X