Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Please choose the actor you like best of 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please choose the actor you like best of 20

Narrowed down from the actor poll at Sword & Sorcery. Please choose the actor who you like best out of the list of twenty. Thanks! -Lemec This list was inspired by the science fiction and fantasy movies that are loved and the actors that fans love to watch. Multiple choice is allowed. :)
    Sean Bean
    5.13%
    Marlon Brando
    2.56%
    Michael Caine
    12.82%
    Lon Chaney Sr.
    2.56%
    Lee Van Cleef
    0.00%
    Sean Connery
    12.82%
    Peter Cushing
    10.26%
    Johnny Depp
    12.82%
    Clint Eastwood
    5.13%
    William Holden
    0.00%
    Jude Law
    0.00%
    Christopher Lee
    7.69%
    Malcolm McDowell
    5.13%
    Ian McKellen
    7.69%
    Steve McQueen
    2.56%
    Jack Nicholson
    2.56%
    Gary Oldman
    7.69%
    Vincent Price
    0.00%
    Terence Stamp
    2.56%
    Robert Vaughn
    0.00%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Where can we find the list lemec?? Im afraid that Im overlooking something.

Comment

sorry, I created the text before the poll. Here it is! Enjoy!!!
      Please talk about your choice here in this thread if you would like to share with us your opinions. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I have to choose Steve McQueen for first of all "The Sand Pebbles".That is still one of my favorite movies to this day. "boss cooley's gonna get his head bent" is a line that I will never forget. The scenery and weaponry in that movie were exquisite. Richard Crenna portrayed a perfect dickhead. I found it to be historical yet still a convincing story during the realm of "Chang Hai Chek"?(wik-free).The Getaway with Ali Mcgraw and Ray Milland was another terrific movie of S.M's that I just watched again last week.Steve M's part in The Great Escape was another example of how convincing an actor he was. He gave off a feeling that he was really experiencing the situations that transpired during the movie.His rebel portrayal whilst spending countless time in the cooler and personally doing the motorcycle jump over one fence into the barbwire...Well what other actor has even tried to go to those extremes??
        Pappillion also is a movie that a person can never forget.Steve M and Dustin Hoffman truly complimented each other in that one...but Steve got away. Another movie of S.M.s that I love is called " On Any Given Sunday" but only true fans would recognize that one...
        Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 06-17-2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Since you're allowing us multiple votes, Lem', I went for:
          • Sean Bean - Have liked his work since I used to watch Sharpe on TV. His Boromir in LOTR was a high-watermark in that trilogy because he made the character so human. Bean was undoubtably the best thing in GoldenEye (and really ought to have been Bond imho). I love getting dvds and discovering Bean among the cast lists (not knowing he was there beforehand). His role in Equilibrium as a disenchanted cleric is fabulous.
          • Michael Caine - An actor whose work one comes to appreciate more and more due to his longevity. The Ipcress File remains probably my favourite of Caine's films, but Zulu, The Italian Job, Get Carter, The Man Who Would Be King and even Alfie all rank highly as well. His playing of Alfred in Batman Begins as ex-SAS was spot on in my book.
          • Sean Connery - Like his contemporary Caine, Connery continued to impress as his career matured until he finally retired (or so he claims) with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I liked, even if he didn't. Too many great films to mention here, but Connery achieves Great Actor status in my book by his willingness not to restrict himself to one genre (which is why I don't think of de Niro as a great actor because he generally restricts himself to one or two genres). Let's just mention Thunderball, The Hill, The Offence, Zardoz, Outland, The Untouchables, The Name of the Rose, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October and The Rock, shall we?
          • Peter Cushing - An actor whose films I've not seen in many a year, but who I picked up on from seeing Star Wars as a child. Really any of his Hammer films are reason enough for me to vote for him here, but his performance as Winston Smith in Ruldolph Cartier's 1954 BBC production of Nineteen Eighty-Four is a career best.
          • Johnny Depp - Depp seems to me the best candidate among his generation of actors to eventually have the sort of careers that Caine, Connery and Eastwood have had. Regardless of the quality of the films he appears in, Depp's performances are always top-notch. He too seems like an actor prepared to take chances in movies he believes in. Sleepy Hollow, The Ninth Gate, and Pirates of the Caribbean to name just three reasons why I voted for him.
          • Clint Eastwood - Again, Eastwood's longevity gives him a stature that you might not have detected when he was just starting out as an actor - or even when he was the top box-office draw in the '70s, for that matter. From the Dollars Trilogy to Dirty Harry, from High Plains Drifter to Escape from Alcatraz, from Tightrope to Unforgiven his ability as first an actor and later a director ensures his place on my list.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Oops! I only picked one, Gary Oldman (surprise!), then I saw that more than one is an option. Can I pretend I also picked Johnny Depp? Something about G Oldman makes me crazy...

Johnny Depp was great in Cry Baby, Ed Wood, Fear and Loathing, Secret Window (not fond of S. King, I'll admit, but because of Depp I gave it a spin), etc., etc. Very versatile, very here and now, if you know what I mean.
            Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
            -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

All of these did Sci Fi / Fantasy movies?

Steve McQueen?
              Clint Eastwood?
              Michael Caine?

No Lee Marvin, I'm most disappointed ;-)
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken

Steve McQueen?
                Clint Eastwood?
                Michael Caine?

No Lee Marvin, I'm most disappointed ;-)
                I am sorry about not including Lee Marvin, I think we did talk about him over at swordsorcery. ;) I know it is a stretch to include those in sci-fi.fantasy, but they seemed to be favourites among the members. Clint Eastwood I squeezed in for High Plains Drifter which was sort of a ghost story. Michael Caine was in Batman Begins and certain aspects of his spy movies are almost sci-fi,hehe. Steve McQueen was just loved by so many, we put him on, but if I consider The Magnificent Seven-maybe I could say it has fantasy adventure elements (being it came from The Seven Samurai) if they had swords and magic instead of firearms,haha. I know, that was a load of dung on my part, but that was my reasoning.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                  Steve McQueen? = The Blob
                  Clint Eastwood? = Firefox, Space Cowboys
                  Michael Caine? = Billion Dollar Brain, The Hand, Bewitched

Heh, I agree it's a bit of a stretch. :)

I'm afraid I just approached them as actors I like rather than for their SF/Fantasy credentials.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Michael Caine and someone not on your list:
                    Roddy McDowell

Comment

Lino Ventura

Sorry, Lemec, old chap -
                      I dearly miss a dozen grand old actors and several contemporary ones, including several from Europe (incomplete list)!

Gregory Peck, "Coop" and "Bogie", Charles Laughton, Leslie Howard, Robin Williams (in "Awakenings", "Good Morning, Vietnam"), De Niro, Roberto Benigni, Fiennes, Guiness, Dépardieu, Jean Gabin, Michel Picoli, Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Daniel Auteuil, Marcello Mastroianni, Jean-Louis Barrault, Lino Ventura, Albert Finney and and and

and ever heard of Nicholas Cage, Peter O'Toole?
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                        Sorry, Lemec, old chap -
                        I dearly miss a dozen grand old actors and several contemporary ones, including several from Europe (incomplete list)!
                        There's lots more choices in various polls over at the S&S forum, where the above 'shortlist' was sourced from, LE.

Go to

http://www.freeforumworld.com/forums...ry.php?go=2659

and look in the "Movies" forum.

Perhaps the way to run these sorts of polls in future is to maybe do them by decade? (The problem as I've discovered is that whatever shortlist you end up with there are people who complain* that their favourite hasn't made it.)

*'Complain' is a bit strong however.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                          There's lots more choices in various polls over at the S&S forum, where the above 'shortlist' was sourced from, LE.

Go to

http://www.freeforumworld.com/forums...ry.php?go=2659

and look in the "Movies" forum.

Perhaps the way to run these sorts of polls in future is to maybe do them by decade? (The problem as I've discovered is that whatever shortlist you end up with there are people who complain* that their favourite hasn't made it.)

*'Complain' is a bit strong however.
                          Thank you very much. But why should I go to other forums? There are hundreds like that! I couldn't care less what people vote for there. Lemec was asking people here at MM. And for the sake of all these good people and their acting qualities I've listed (and certainly I've also omitted dozens) I felt the list needed to be expanded.
                          And, seriously, don't you too miss Anthony Quinn?

Cheers
                          L'E

*'Complain' is a bit strong however
                          The old habbits ... maybe 'mooping' is better? )
                          Last edited by L'Etranger; 06-20-2006, 09:33 AM.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Hello LEtranger! How's it going today? I do apologize for not having more great actoes, I was so excited to try the new polls, that I did not give it more thought. Like David says, I could have placed the actors by decade. :o

Oh my!, by the way, did I forget to put up the actress poll? if I did I got to get right on that. Anyway, I'll get the hang of these things so I can make them to cover more ground, I tend to make them from movies that I watched lately.

Thanks for particiating!

-Lemec

Edit-oh, I got it, but maybe next time I will combine the actress with the actors in various polls, 10 of each, and remember to place them in the movie thread,haha.
                            Last edited by lemec; 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM. Reason: changed wording

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                            X