Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The transit of Venus and Tilda Swinton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The transit of Venus and Tilda Swinton

As Venus transits the face of the sun I happen across this article dated may 12th.

Tilda Swinton is the White Witch of Narnia

The Hollywood Reporter says that Tilda Swinton is set to star as the evil White Witch in Disney’s and Walden Media’s The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Director Andrew Adamson (Shrek 2) confirmed that Swinton has landed the role at Cannes.
    The project is based on C.S.Lewis’ best-selling novels about a war between good and evil, pitting the magnificent lion Aslan against the forces of darkness in the magical world of Narnia.

The White Witch has used her powers to keep Narnia in winter for 100 years but it is foretold that four humans will help Aslan break the spell. Four siblings hold the fate of Narnia in their hands and when they discover the enchanted world through a wardrobe, the stage is set for a classic battle of epic proportions.

The film, which is budgeted at more than US$100mil, is scheduled to begin shooting in summer in New Zealand.
    It seems there's a gamut of films that are learning the power of the pure fantasy genre. Possibly this could only escalate and there will be, in the future, a time when all extant fantasy films have been made and other than get new writers to create new and better fantasies they'll have to re-make those they've already done OR there may never be a futuretime when humankinds inexorable yearning to imagine and re-interpret the eternal fascination with the battle between good and evil because then we might as well give up and go back to swinging in trees...

Are you able to observe this celestial, and by all accounts rare, phenomenon? It should take place in London from between 05:19:54 to 11:23:36, at least that's according to the website below:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips.../city04-1.html

I couldn't find Austin there but if you're anyhwere near Winnipeg from 11:03:56 to 11:24:05, but I'm sure you'll probably see it on the news.

It's almost like the partial eclipse of Aug 11 1999.

This is from the Scotsman online:

Get starry-eyed?

WHY DON'T YOU?

Today sees the Transit of Venus, a stellar phenomenon which has not occurred since 1882. Venus falls in line with Earth and the Sun, appearing as a black dot slowly crossing the Sun. This positioning was last witnessed in Britain in 1283, so get out there and get star-gazing. Pop along to the St Andrews University Observatory between 6am and 12:30pm today to witness this truly extraordinary event with the help of one or two small telescopes which will be reserved for the purpose. Entrance is free, and you can get more information by calling 01334 463121. If you are not in the area, the Transit of Venus will be broadcast live on BBC1 at 9:50am and noon, with an overview of the event throughout the world, on BBC2 at 11:20pm. Do your homework at www.transitofvenus.org

DON’T BE STARTSTRUCK

If you don’t know a Transit of Venus from a Venus fly-trap, become an astronomy expert. Scotland has a plethora of planetariums, including the Aberdeen College Planetarium, tel: 01224 612 323; the Glasgow Science Centre, tel: 0141 420 5010; or the Mills Observatory in Dundee, tel: 0138 243 5846. You could also join an astronomy club, such as the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh, in cyberspace at www.astronomyedinburgh.org or the Astronomical Society of Glasgow who are out there at www.astronomicalsocietyof glasgow.org.uk, through which you can learn more about the skies and meet other like-minded, starry-eyed individuals. Of course, the true deluxe experience is to be found at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration centre in Kennedy Space Centre, Florida - NASA to you and me. Check it out at www.ksc.nasa.gov

SEE THE FUTURE

If this is all sounding a bit techie - not to mention Trekky - you might prefer to familiarise yourself with that other off-shoot of star-gazing - astrology. For an introduction to astrology have a look at Astrology for Beginners: An Easy Guide to Understanding and Interpreting Your Chart by William Hewitt, available at www.amazon.co.uk for آ£6.34. Choose an astrology class at www.astrologyinstitute.com, where you will also find information on consultations in your local area.

BUY A SLICE OF HEAVEN

At www.buyagift.co.uk, you can name a star above for a someone who plays a starring role in your own life, from آ£20 or buy a plot of land on the moon, Mars or Venus for under آ£20. It’s one way to beat house inflation on Earth, and will give you somewhere to bolt to, if mankind mucks it up once and for all down here, so long as you can afford the fare. Something for the man or woman who has everything.

\'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

:roll:
    \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

Y'know - Tilda Swinton could actually play Elric...I can totally see it considering her performance in "Orlando." Then you could get the beautiful Billy Zane to play Yrkoon too! I actually think Zane could be really good if he's not considered too old. He looks wonderful with lots of curly hair.

Comment

Tilda swinton lost my respect when she did "the beach". She used to be picky about what films she did, but know it seems like she's just in it for the bucks.

That said, any actress who can keep a straight face whilst Jimmy somerville is dangled from the end of a crane with two little gold angel wings stuck to his back (Orlando, at the end) has GOT to be good ;)

I read all the Narnia books and never noticed the totaly unsubtle christ thing 'till someone pointed it out to me!

Does anyone else think "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" is the weakest of the Narnia books?
        \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

I loved Tilda Swinton in The Deep End. She made vulnerability seem very, very attractive, which is quite a trick.

Comment

Working...
          X