Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Troy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy

Have you seen Troy yet Mike?

Can't say I was impressed, Yeats was wrong. there was another Troy for her to burn, and Hollywood just went ahead and did it. I'd like my 2 hours and 40 minutes back, and the experience to be wiped from my mind.

Anyway, was in Forbidden Planet recently, and saw a omnibus copy of Moonshadow which had a blurb of praise from yourself on it, so I bought it and loved it. Thanks for leading me to yet another great thing :)

Paul

Glad you enjoyed Moonshadow.
    Sorry you didn't enjoy Troy. Is it another of those best enjoyed on the small screen with a F/F button close to hand ? Pity, I was getting sold on it (by an interview with the director, admittedly, on Radio Four). I suppose I should have been warned by the largeness of the claims being made.
    It's a bit hard to get to the pictures from the old Circle Squared -- at least to see something current. With luck Van Helsing will reward the
    trip to the Lost Pines Drive In Kinema next week...
    Cheers, pard.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I don't know if I want to see it. As a big fan of Homer, I was worried this movie would butcher the story. With Orlando Bloom as Paris(Alexandros) I figured they'd portray him as this very likable/strong guy when in the stories, he was more of a "pretty boy" whose father Priam didn't consider him to be one of his best sons (to put it nicely).

And with Bradd Pitt as Achilleus, I figured they'd have him fighting from the beginning, when he should only fight towards the end when his friend Patroklos dies. Plus the descriptions of the fighting are very graphic, I think even Hollywood couldn't show them.

And what about the Gods? Are they as involved in the movie as they were in the story? I just don't think Hollywood could do such a great story justice. Am I wrong?
      When they had advanced together to meet on common
      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Well, you'd better hope that it's at least theoretically possible to do such a story correctly or where are we with the Elric movie...?

Comment

Here's a link to a Time Magazine article on the movie.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...2114-1,00.html

From the looks of thing, I definately will not see this turkey. They borrowed from the Aeneid (trojan horse anyone?) and gave Pitt cheesey lines like "Go get your immortality" as Achilleus lands on the beach. The story begins with Achilleus pissed at Agamemnon for taking a girl of his (they are already on the beach). From then on he refused to take part in the battle (along with his warriors the Myrmidons). He doesn't fight until Hector kills his friend.

There are too many things that will be glossed over and missed (too many for me to list). The director even says he eliminated the gods all together in the story! The few people who will see it will go around thinking they know the story. Well, hopefully it will get them to read the real thing.
          When they had advanced together to meet on common
          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            With luck Van Helsing will reward the
            trip to the Lost Pines Drive In Kinema next week...
            Cheers, pard.
            Michael,
            For the love of the Multiverse, avoid seeing Van Helsing next week if you can! Anything but Van Helsing! I saw it today.

[broken link]

If you thought LOTR was unconvincing, Van H. makes LOTR the best movie in the multiverse by comparison.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM.
            \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
            Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by VonWeiner
              And what about the Gods? Are they as involved in the movie as they were in the story?
              That's what I'd like to know. Annoyingly in a lot of the things I've read and heard about the story, people keep laying the blame for the whole thing at the divine feet of Aphrodite, when every Discordian worth his golden apple knows the delicious chaos was all the inspired creation of Eris. Hail Eris!!!

[ahem]

I have no particular compulsion to see Troy personally, since I find the mythology behind it far more interesting than the actual battle... personally I'd rather go and watch Jason and the Argonauts again... although obviously that isn't an option at any cinema I'm aware of.

D...

This post is only to be read by "the fairest one"
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Me and my brother were discussing about the movie 'Troy' yesterday.
                And we came to an agreement not to see it. It's just a way to get the hollywood prettyboys on the screen with bad props to boot..

One thing i find a bit annoying is that they don't cast for example greeks but americans or anglo-saxons. They could at least do it like they did in the last odysseus movie series..

Comment

I'm looking forward to Troy. I've read and like Homer; could actually give two shakes about how closely the movie follows his story. All I ask for my 6 dollars is entertainment, and hopefully this movie will have enough of a plot supported by strong enough acting to classify. Hell Gladiator was a watered down version of Fall of the Roman Empire, with very little depth, and I loved it.

Comment

Ah, well. So VH is out, eh ? I now learn that Kill Bill 2 was on at the Lost Pines Drive-In and Bowling Alley while we were away in Europe, so it looks like we'll need a fresh change of ponies and a few days off to ride into Austin and see Kill Bill 2. Ho hum.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Kill Bill. Much better choice!
                      Vol. 2 is better than the first.
                      Less violence, not gratuitous.
                      At least a couple of ideas that I consider
                      surprising or novel. Very stylish (Tarantino likes
                      to "pay homage" or show his love for old films he's
                      influenced by without subtlety) and yet
                      can satisfy intelligent viewers.

I'm sure you will see VH someday.
                      It will play on tv, unedited, at some point,
                      and you will change the channel or turn it
                      off after you get a minute's taste of it.
                      My friend and I were so disappointed that
                      we laughed and made fun of it for quite a while.
                      We both didn't have much expectation; we didn't
                      think it would be a great movie, and when we saw
                      it, realized it hit below our little expectations!
                      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

you know, I was very curious as to why the Hellenic people in TROY were spealing with English accents.... anyone else find that odd? I don't want to see this movie... I would rather read...Mike, any ideas on what books of yours I should spend my time with instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          Ah, well. So VH is out, eh ? I now learn that Kill Bill 2 was on at the Lost Pines Drive-In and Bowling Alley while we were away in Europe, so it looks like we'll need a fresh change of ponies and a few days off to ride into Austin and see Kill Bill 2. Ho hum.
                          [Dee grabs his Uma Thurman action figure and begins to froth at the mouth, jumping up and down in his chair]

Yes, yes, yes!!! See Kill Bill 2 instead. Much better. I was surpirsed that the film only got luke warm reviews over here, but I believe this was because it was somethign of a gear-change from the first installment. As Tarantino has said Vol 1 was his "Eastern", whereas Vol 2 is his "Western"... so the violence is quick and lethal, rather than balletic and blood-soaked... and there is a great deal of jaw-jaw, but that was always part of the fun with QT.

I loved Tarantino from the moment I watched my pirate copy of Reservoir Dogs (back in the day when the film was banned and considered exceedingly naughty), and these two films have reminded me of that lost love.

I appreciate that others may not be quite as bent on the man's work as I am, but any opportunity to stare at Uma Thurman acting her socks off for two hours should be taken and taken gratefully. Also, why not annoy the ushers by staying the whole way through the end credits for a hidden "out take"? Good to the last drop.

D...
                          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I think this slander against Van Hellsing is a tad unfair. I watched it a few days ago and quite enjoyed it. Granted, the plot is terrible and so is the acting but it was never meant to be anything serious. If anything it's merely a homage to classic b-movies. Well, I appear to be in a minority but, for pure entertainment value, it hit the spot.
                            Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I was gonna go see Troy, but maybe I won't now. Seems like they just don't know how to make movies anymore. I did enjoy LOTR though. OK go ahead and flame me, I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X