Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A film survey...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. One film that changed your life
    The Elephant Man
    For all sorts of reasons
    2. One film you have watched more than once
    The Duelists
    Revolutionary cinematography
    3. One film you would want on a desert island
    The Usual Suspects
    Still trying to work out who, why what and how.
    4. One film that made you laugh
    The Class of Miss MacMichael
    Oliver Reed getting a booby trapped lunchbox was my first genuine laugh out loud moment as a youngster
    5. One film that made you cry
    Shadowlands
    Towering performances from Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins - period detail was faultless
    6. One film you wish had been made
    Mother Teresa: Lust for Glory
    7. One film you wish had never been made
    Any Jaws or Alien franchise after the original
    8. The last film you saw
    Life of Pi
    Truly wonderful incidently
    9. One film you have been meaning to see
    The Master
    Sounds interesting

Comment

1. One film that changed your life – Drowning By Numbers – Peter Greenaway framing a story in a linear with fantastic visuals tied up with mythology, the British landscape and death. It changed my artwork.

2. One film you have watched more than once – Citzen Kane – I didn’t see this until I was 23 and came to it as the greatest film ever. After watching it, I could only agree it was the greatest. Arguably, the greatest influence on comic books.

3. One film you would want on a desert island – A Matter of Life and Death by Powell and Pressburger, a great love film with some stunning sequences.

4. One film that made you laugh – the Life of Brian – superb and stands up to constant watching.

5. One film that made you cry – Les Enfants Du Paradis – my wife knew she was on to a good thing when I asked her to go with me to see it. It is the greatest French film ever and I cry nearly every time.

6. One film you wish had been made – A Detective film by Powell and Pressburger in collaboration with Graham Sutherland set in Southern France. Would this have been any good, I haven’t a clue but it combines interests.

7. One film you wish had never been made – Eraserhead – just plain bonkers and I could have spent my time better than seeing it. Thankfully, it a student film soc showing and only costed me time.

8. The last film you saw – Hellboy 2 - Rather good

9. One film you have been meaning to see – The Cabinet of Dr Calgari – I must see film. So ashamed I have never seen this classic.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post

9. One film you have been meaning to see – The Cabinet of Dr Calgari – I must see film. So ashamed I have never seen this classic.
        yes, yes - you must! One of the best films from the silent era imo... I'm sure it must be on YouTube somewhere.
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Rainy Afternoon

1. One film that changed your life.
          The Nutty Professor. I saw it by accident as a youngster but I have always appreciated Jerry Lewis analysis and exposure of this kind of fella (Buddy Love). I hadn’t thought that there could be this kind of sexy but contemptuous guy out there I could end up dating! I appreciated the fore warning.

2. One film you have watched more than once.
          Lots of those. I LOVE DVDs. Stand outs would be Gosford Park, Contact, Immortal Ad Vitam, Frida, Shadow of the Vampire, Galaxy Quest and The Rollingstone History of Rock. To name a few.

3. One film you would want on a desert island.
          Something really long that I haven’t already watched a half dozen times. How about all of The Vikings (the History Channel thing) as one movie?

4. One film that made you laugh.
          I just saw ‘7 Psychopaths’, and I was cracking up all through it.

5. One film that made you cry.
          The Safety of Objects. It gets me every time. Great movie though.

6. One film you wish had been made.
          A film about Harriet Tubman! Why hasn’t there been one? Is Spike Lee asleep?

7. One film you wish had never been made.
          A Steven Siegel movie.

8. The last film you saw.
          Anonymous. Really, really liked it.

9. One film you have been meaning to see.
          The Boy with the Green Hair. I’ve been thinking about it lately.

Well, Cosmic Balance, this was a fun diversion on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Comment

A film survey...

The Jungle Book. I first got the concept of cinema and how moving pictures work after I watched the film as a child. My first step in becoming a filmmaker
            Lost Highway by David Lynch. Wached it at least 15 times. Never loses its mystery.
            The Hobbit part 1. this film just makes me happy
            Broken Flowers by Jim Jarmush. Although I seemed to be the only one who found it that hillaious.
            My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?, originally titled as Eli, Eli, Lema Sabachthani by Shinji Aoyama. One of the most moving films I saw. Everyone who hasn't seen it. Go get it. Its amazing. But it needs patience.
            The Don Quixote film by Terry Gilliam
            Triumpf des Willens by Leni Rifenstahl
            8. The last film you saw
            Thor the Dark World
            Enter the Void
            [SIZE=2]Write as much or a little as you like (but preferably the former).

Comment

Originally posted by fammann View Post
              1. One film you have watched more than once
              Lost Highway by David Lynch. Wached it at least 15 times. Never loses its mystery.
              Excellent film really, Lost Highway is one of David Lynch's most uncompromising and best cinematic efforts. Hard viewing for me the first time i saw it, a bit too close to the bone ...the manner in which the film takes the viewer on a voyage through psychosis from the inside has rarely been equalled in film, in my opinion.
              Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

A film survey...

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                Napolean Dynamite. Have the DVD. Don't have the time to watch it.
                Just watch it. Very funny film. But not over the top slapstick funny. And very non-stereotypical.

It made me laugh very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Conan the Barbarian
                  Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
                  Castaway
                  South Park, Bigger Longer and Uncut
                  the Korean movie "Host", I was rooting for the monster more than is healthy
                  A good historical piece that gets the weapons, armour and clothing right.
                  the piece of crap Godzilla remake with Mathew Broderick.
                  8. The last film you saw
                  Jugface, interesting ideas in search of a story
                  actually can't think of one off the top of my head.

Comment

None really. But the closest one came is District 9. It's a unique and awesome film.

There area a lot. But MD Geist I love.

I would'nt want a film, I'd want a survival kit and a way to get off.

Idiocracy.

Laputa, Castle In The Sky

Not sure. If a film is'nt made it's for a good reason, usually. I wish the Bioshock film had been made.

Every single star wars film ever! I FIRETRUCKING LOATHE AND DESPISE THAT SH*ITE!!! It's infantile sh*t!

8. The last film you saw
                    In the cinema, RoboCop(2014). On tv, Rio.

Appleseed, Deus Machina. I can't find it anywere for free, so far.
                    Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

I respectfully and completely disagree on Star Wars ( start to feel alone here as a BIG OLD fan of the films ), but then you redeem your self quoting "District 9" which was superb as well as "Elysium".

Hope this article helps a little bit in order to make Star Wars a bit more respectable

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/myth.html
                      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                      X