Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dust Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Devil

Just wondering if there are any Richard Stanley fans out there...

If anyone is interested - there is a limited edition DVD of this movie that is still in stock on Amazon.

Dust Devil - The Final Cut

For anyone who hasn't seen it - it's a treat. Worth a look - definitely not your average horror movie.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Best (Region 2) online price = £4.99 (inc. delivery) from Play.com

(Amazon price = £5.99 + shipping)

I've got DD on off-air video somewhere, but the Richard Stanley film I prefer is Hardware (based on a 2000AD strip).

First saw in the cinema 16 years ago.

Why does that make me feel old?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The R1 seems to be the best available - for a relatively obscure movie its been given a very good DVD treatment - 5 discs including two versions of the movie - I think the R2 is just the regular theatrical version (which was significantly edited from Stanley's original cut).

Also you get the soundtrack CD, which is probably very hard to get hold of these days.
      • Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
      • Deluxe 5-disc set including
      • 2 versions of Dust Devil: the final director's cut and a longer work print version
      • 3 of Richard Stanley¹s most controversial documentaries: The Secret Glory, Voice Of The Moon, and The White Darkness
      • Bonus Soundtrack CD
      • Audio commentary tracks with cast and crew
      • Featurettes with cast and crew
      • Still galleries
      • Talent bios
      • Trailers
      • Exclusive Dust Devil comic book
      • Production diary and essay booklets
      If anyone's interested - this version is limited to 1000 copies, a bit like the old Anchor Bay version of Army of Darkness - the limited numbered edition of the two disc version ended up selling for $100-$150 on ebay.

I remember Hardware - its a long time ago since I saw it (but I remember I didn't like it all that much (which was really a low-budget Terminator), I liked the premise - a post-nuclear wasteland where people scavenge for pieces of old technology. That said, Stanley's stuff is always impressive to look at - and that more than anything sticks in the memory.
      Last edited by devilchicken; 01-07-2007, 07:52 AM.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

R2 version says it's 'the Director's Cut' on the cover, but the R1 Subversive DVD certainly looks good if you can afford it.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Is Dust Devil that film where some soliders in the iraq war 1990s find a terrifying demon?

I liked the look of that.

Less cliched maybe.

Comment

Plot summary from Wikipedia:

Set largely in the desert in Namibia and South Africa, it concerns a demon which possesses human beings. The film has three interlocking plots, about an abused wife fleeing her husband, her husband's search for her, and the search of a guilt-ridden, elderly black police officer for the perpetrator of a gruesome ritual murder. The plots are woven together in what the writer-director has described as a "spiralling" structure, and come together at the end for an apocalyptic finale.

Comment

I splurged for the R1 - we don't have a region free player and its a hassle dealing with currency conversion from the US. I believe I've only seen the theatrical version on VHS (about 8 years or so ago), so curious to see the "intended" version.

I did some reading on the different versions - the R2 version does not have a good video transfer (if you're worried about such things), but the R1 is hi-definition. I remember it being visually striking and having a pretty good soundtrack.

Here's hoping that Michael Mann's equally obscure The Keep finds its way onto DVD in the not too distant future.

Comment

Hardware is one of my favourite SF films of all time. I love the low budget and dark feel to it; it gives it a really authentic cyberpunk feel imho. Great soundtrack as well.

For years I thought that Carl McCoy of Fields of the Nephilim had ripped off the Zone Tripper at the beginning of Hardware for his stage outfit, then I discovered that he actually played the Zone Tripper.

Comment

As per John's suggestion, I've moved all the DVD/TV formats posts to a new thread in the Technology forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X