Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Holiday ... but why Jack Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holiday ... but why Jack Black?

Some nice good old romantic comedy fun. But what do the producers find in Jack Black who is utterly unattractive and a poor actor? Can someone enlighten me?
    Last edited by L'Etranger; 12-17-2006, 10:01 AM.
    Google ergo sum

High fructose corn?
    Post-post-post-modern angst?
    It's a mystery to me.
    I just hope he's not in the running for Moonglum.
    Last edited by Talisant; 12-17-2006, 03:11 PM.
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

While I wouldn't necessarily run down the block to catch a Jack Black movie, I will say I find him quite an enjoyable actor to watch. Perhaps Black's biggest asset is that he generally doesn't conform to the normal 'Tom Cruise' standards of 'movie stardom'.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I've only ever seen him in School of Rock, but I thought he was pretty good in it.

Comment

If raising your eyebrows now and again constitutes acting, then I'm in the wrong profession. Olivier must be spinning in his grave!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamweaver
            If raising your eyebrows now and again constitutes acting, then I'm in the wrong profession.
            Acting by Eyebrow served Roger Moore very well for 40+ years.
            The satire show Spitting Image once had a sketch in which their latex likeness of Moore, when asked to display emotions by an offscreen director, does nothing but raise an eyebrow. Moore himself has stated that he thought the sketch was funny, and took it in good humour.

Roger does 'Shock' - - - - - - - - Roger does 'Anger' - - - - - - - Roger does 'Astonishment'

Originally posted by Dreamweaver
            Olivier must be spinning in his grave!
            Let's leave Oliver Reed out of this, shall we?
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
              Acting by Eyebrow served Roger Moore very well for 40+ years.

Let's leave Oliver Reed out of this, shall we?
              Oh David, how could you put those two names together so! In the same post! It's inviting a comparison between man and mannequin.

You may have spotted that I'm a bit of a fan of Ollie Reed!

I'll bet Jack Black would have had a better time, on a night out, with Ollie than with Rog. And probably a bigger hangover.
              He's well smoked

Comment

...and I thought you meant this Ollie

"A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Robert Taylor, a good actor of the 1940's and 50's, also did a lot of eyebrow-acting. But Roger Moore is Roger Moore and never played anything but Roger Moore. At least he had certain caricature qualities (we'll sell the bloke worldwide as what the world expects to be an English gentleman - a concept, no matter how fictitious, which of course was already perfectly, and better, filled out by David Niven).
                  Jack Black, I'm sorry, I find very mediocre and uncharismatic - in movies. I suspect he is a performing comedian who can play out his personal magic on a stage with a live audience with perhaps completely different results. On the screen, I find, he is just chubby and flat.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

"How much do you charge to haunt a house?"
                    \
                    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                      While I wouldn't necessarily run down the block to catch a Jack Black movie, I will say I find him quite an enjoyable actor to watch. Perhaps Black's biggest asset is that he generally doesn't conform to the normal 'Tom Cruise' standards of 'movie stardom'.
                      Agreed. Perhaps Jack Black is the flavour of the moment? Is it a Hollywood pendulum swing, I wonder. Maybe some psychologist turned around at a bigwigs meeting and "Hey, have you realised that you're alienating plain looking people all over the world? Put some normal looking actors into leading roles." Or, perhaps the Marketing people said JB is the face of the noughties?

Oh! As an aside to Reinart and Talisant, I like that Ollie too. Where's the skinny one?

And, I agree also with L'Etranger, in everything said! I have to point out, however, the greatest Eyebrow Actor of all time (imo), Leonard Nimoy.
                      "That would be logical, Captain!"
                      He's well smoked

Comment

Comment

Well, that's another fine mess this thread has got into.

Comment

Why, what happened?
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

i don't think jack black is bad for what he does - school of rock was great, he was great in kong (he captured the flavor of the original role while being able to convey the char's aberrancy with a subtle irony).

i wouldn't think you would want lawrence olivier in any of the roles that black has played. shoot, i think he'd make a great moonglum - he'd certainly have to modify his schtick a little, but i think he could do it. mathew broderick certainly surprised me with his performance in lady hawke as the bumbling sidekick/comic relief to rutger hauer's dark/tortured hero, something i would have assumed would be a stretch for him, but not, obviously, an impossible one. i could see myself being similarly surprised by black as moonglum, another role that would not lend itself to a more classically trained/method actor, i think, but rather to an actor whose natural personality would shine through into his performance.
                              http://lordonly.net lord only original progressive music

potential order without kinetic chaos becomes stagnant chaos.
                              potential chaos without kinetic order becomes static order.

Comment

Working...
                              X