Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies

Hobbit goes ahead without Jackson

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson has been told he will not be employed on The Hobbit, the next film adaptation of a JRR Tolkien novel.

New Line Cinema, with whom he has been in dispute about income from the first Rings film, was not using him, he said.

Jackson had refused to discuss a Hobbit film until the case was settled but New Line said it now wanted to move on as it had "limited time" to make the film.

The Rings trilogy generated nearly $3bn (£1.6bn) in cinemas around the world.

Jackson's film company, Wingnut Films, brought a legal action against New Line resulting from an audit the company undertook on The Fellowship of the Ring.

Jackson, a devoted Tolkien fan, said he had been removed from the Hobbit project by New Line, who also hold the rights to a second Lord of the Rings prequel.

The Oscar-winning director said New Line would not allow him to make the films unless he dropped the lawsuit.

Fans of Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings films have long called for a film version of The Hobbit.

The book tells the story of how Bilbo Baggins stole the ring from Gollum.

"We have always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back-to-back, as we did the original movies," Jackson's e-mail to TheOneRing.net fan website read.

"We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board."

Meetings with film executives had been planned, Jackson explained, but then New Line called his manager to tell him that the company "would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the prequel".

'Move forward'

New Line was "actively looking to hire another film-maker for both projects", Jackson added.

"This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness or rancour.

"We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects."

Chris Pirrotta, co-founder of TheOneRing.net, said the fan site had a long-running relationship with Jackson.

Fans were "very upset", Pirrotta told Reuters. "We are seeing calls for everything from letter-writing campaigns to a boycott of the studio."

A spokesman for New Line declined to comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6167972.stm
    Have to say I'm not overly surprised at this news. I was saying to Lemec over the weekend that I thought it could be up to ten years before PJ was in a position to make The Hobbit because of all the other movies he's got lined up - The Lovely Bones and the (currently-stalled) Halo movie. The law suit obviously didn't help matters - whatever the rights or wrongs of that, biting the hand that feeds you is always a risky business.

On the other hand, I kind of feel that the involvement of Weta is probably of more importance in terms of getting the 'look' right, rather than who actually directs The Hobbit.

See also http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I don't realy mind PJ not being involved with the Hobbit.
    TBH, as the LOTR moivies progressed I was more annoyed with how he changed things that were not good or some of his pointless additions.

I hope they choose a good replacement though.

Comment

oh, I dunno... I like his interpretations of the books and you know the old saying - 'better the devil you know'. (plus I can't think of anyone else in the industry that could do a better job).

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Well, after seeing King Kong, which was pretty dire, I don't think he is that great really.
        It was a risk to use him for LOTR anyway, so why not try another relatively unknown director to do the Hobbit?

I reckon New line will be clever enough to realise that getting a well known director would be a bad move for them.
        As to who should do it instead, I have no idea.

Comment

George Lucas could do fine: he produced the Ewoks.
          Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

George Lucas...hmm... not a bad idea.... ewoks....yes…hmm… I see the resemblance oversized hairy feet ….short in stature…. relatively naïve and simple folk…. By jove Mespheber ! – I think you’ve got it

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

The Hobbit has quite a different Tone and Mood to either The Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion, being both more 'juvenile' and light-hearted, so a change of director could work in its favour in that regard. Of course, there's the chance that as a result it will end up feeling more like Harry Potter or (dare I say) Eragon than any of the LOTR trilogy.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Movie "Willow" is a good example of the tone I'd like.
                It's got a kids movie feel to it, but is quite well made.

Not sure who directed it mind.

Comment

Willow is a 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard, based on a story by George Lucas.
                  OMG!

Bite my tongue!!
                  Scratch that idea then.

Comment

A Theme Song...

Sunday, Monday, Hobbit Days,
                    Tuesday, Wednesday, Hobbit Days,
                    Thursday, Friday, Hobbit Days,
                    Everyday, a Hobbit day,
                    Will it star Potsy Too?

Not a nice mental image here DM...
                    Please leave Opie in Mayberry.

Comment

McKellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision

Sir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit.

"I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website.

"It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."

Jackson refused to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled.

But New Line said it had only "limited time" to make the film and was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director.

Angry fans

The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for Jackson to be reinstated.

The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all".

A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

The petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team is not what fans want.

"The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said.

"Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?"

A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition.

"Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written.

"The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson."

'Wrong guy'

Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson.

It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights".

However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing.

"That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site.

"He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape or form."

Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson."

A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return.

"Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net.

Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6173178.stm
                      Nice to see the 'fan' reaction progressing as normal. ;)

Comment

What is this 'second prequel' they are talking about?

Comment

the Sillmarilion possibly, or a story from it ?

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                            Of course, there's the chance that as a result it will end up feeling more like Harry Potter or (dare I say) Eragon than any of the LOTR trilogy.
                            Aim at a younger audience, have them "grow up" into LOTR, show those each weekend, and viola! you've doubled or tripled your DVD sales. After that, do a post apocalyptic Hobbit T.V. series ala Planet of the Apes.

The future has never been brighter for LOTR franchise. Think of it. The elves could come back, Bilbo could cameo, even, dare I suggest it, The White Wizard could come back to resolve an infinitely more difficult to expunge residual evil. Oh my! The Big Bad Eye could come back for a season cliff-hanger!

Hobbitgate SG1 here we come!
                            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishamonten
                              the Sillmarilion possibly, or a story from it ?
                              They could make a serial out of it. Or a Soap...

"EPISODE 398
                              Synopsis:
                              Beren loves Luthien, but her father asked him to bring back a Silmaril...

Sequence 21 - Exterior day - A garden.
                              Beren: I love you Luthien
                              Luthien: I love you too, Beren. Don't go, please...
                              Beren: I have to. I love you..."

Oki, almost worst lines ever writen.
                              Last edited by Mespheber; 11-23-2006, 09:53 AM.
                              Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Working...
                              X