Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    The sacrifice of the spartians 300 was a strategic move to save the greek army from the persian pursuit ......

The result were the naval battle of Salamine and the land battle of Platées .....

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied

I really hope the release of 300 isn't just biz, if they have kept to the original comic book series, for entertainment value, it should be good. I have Frank Millers' work from his first days on Daredevil at Marvel, I don't really buy comics these days ( She To Whom I Am Shackled In Wedlock To would go mad if I started again!!!! ) but I would hope if he had any influence they would stick mostly to the story. I can see where everyone is coming from with the present situation in Iraq/Afghanistan but we should remember that the Spartans subsisted on slavery of a whole nation so they could have a warrior elite who did nothing but train for battle, so they were not really the good guys, in a way, unlike our people who are fighting today. I hope that the film doesn't generate this either. I am looking forward to it anyway but as I have said if it turns out to be pants, the Chaos Twins ( my 8 year old daughters ) and their 4 year sister Xiombarg Junior will have free reign with my books. AAAARRGGHH!!!

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley
    Oh yes, one other thing:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE
    any piece of art that stirrs emotions (which motion pictures are supposed to do!)

I know Peter Greenaway would argue with that statement.
    Ohuh, you know I fell asleep during one of his films, that was during my film school days! We shan't tell him, ok?
    Indeed, I am not sceptical of the comic and Frank Miller. Just the time when such a movie is unleashed unguardedly on a public in a specific historic situation, makes me wonder is it purely "biz" or more ...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    You probably don't need to see the movie to know what its like - you just have to read the graphic novel.

Alright, that assumes that the film-makers haven't changed the emphasis of the story, but even so the comic remains the source material for the film.

300 was probably the last really good comic that Frank Miller produced (certainly compared to his more recent output) and I know he came in for some flak for some apparently homophobic remarks in the book, so it wasn't without controversy back then. (Of course, you have to separate things the characters say from the author's own opinions.)

I can see where LE is coming with his 'allegory for Iraq' angle - I suppose that a film-maker can't stop the audience imposing their own meaning on the film even if that meaning isn't the intent of the director - but the comic does pre-date Iraq War 2 by several years.

Oh yes, one other thing:

Originally posted by LE
    any piece of art that stirrs emotions (which motion pictures are supposed to do!)
    I know Peter Greenaway would argue with that statement.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    I don' t know .... France has a long history of war against England and Germany. War movies even about WWII and na.zism seem usefull to me and i am able to differentiate the present time from the time of the movies .....

and there are movies against war .....

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Dreamweaver
    I'll be watching it purely for the entertainment value myself, rather than go into any criticisms of Spartan society. It's why I think Rocky IV is a great film, despite the cold war propaganda!
    I understand you guys on the one hand, but can any piece of art that stirrs emotions (which motion pictures are supposed to do!) of masses of people be just consumed out of context? These are times when "America" is getting clobbered daily (for the mismanagement and both political and military blundering in Iraq) and once again sees her No1 prestige bearer (the great US army) obviously heaped with criticism. These are times when what happensd in Iraq influences the outcome of elections!
    I do not think that a movie glorifying the Marines and their fighting to the end is a mere coincidence. I bet you that the "300 Spartans myth" is used over and over again in army training as an example of heroic obedience to the end.

From a different angle, could N.azi movies like "Kolberg", "Jud Süss", "Ohm Kruger" and others be reduced to their mere entertainment value? I very much that the movie "300" is conveying the message that there is a bunch of good guys (hopelessly outnumbered) out there doing the dirty work for the rest of the world, trying to stop the hoards of swarthy Eastlings who threaten our "civilisation" and way of life ... And if the hopelessly outnumbered bunch deserves one thing then it should be our assistance and dutiful ignoring of the "collateral damage" they are inflicting ...

Speaking for myself: I did see the old late 1950's movie "The 300 Spartans" in the early 60's, an impression that for long impressed me (for the valor, the fighting and "manliness"). And tell you what, I am sure it did shape an opinion about Persians, or rather a bias against Persians in me that lasted for many years (until I had a Persian classmate 8 years later).

Business is one thing, coincidence is another ...

Let's hope, however, that somebody actually sees the movie and posts here saying it is all completely different ...
    Last edited by L'Etranger; 11-09-2006, 12:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Hieronymus
    I've just seen this trailer about "300" by Frank Miller...
    Wow! I think it's a great movie...
    http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

Yeah! I'm going to love that movie!

That it just the sort of film that I was desperate to see in the 80's!

I saw a preview on the Spike tv,Scream Awards,that is going to be some battle!

-Lemec

Leave a comment:

• Dreamweaver
    replied
    I'll be watching it purely for the entertainment value myself, rather than go into any criticisms of Spartan society. It's why I think Rocky IV is a great film, despite the cold war propaganda!

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied

Originally posted by Madrigal Rose
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I just can't get my hopes up about movies any more.
    It looks like it'll be engaging...
    Hey Madrigal, not at all, you don't have to apologise for anything, this is a discussion forum, this is what it's all about!! Please say what you like, don't mind me, I can see your point as well. This is isn't Sparta!!! I don't post much but really enjoying this site since I found it, maybe we can cross Runeblades about other stuff in future ( I'll take Stormbringer!!! )

P.s. The Chaos Twins are 8 and Xiombarg Junior was 4 today, so in my new home the library is going to be up high just in case 300 turns out to be pants and they reach my books!!!

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    You who are passing, go to Sparta and tell them we died to obey her laws .......

The true story is one who interrsted me sinc my yougnest age ....

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    I like the story of Thermopylae - 300 is a very stylised version of it. I like it because the story is basically true - and an interesting one for military history buffs.

Leave a comment:

• Madrigal Rose
    replied
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I just can't get my hopes up about movies any more.
    It looks like it'll be engaging...

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied

I must apologise, I really wasn't looking at 300 from Frank Miller passing on a message, I was looking at it on entertainment value only as a representation of an actual event. Spartan society was particularly brutal, with infanticide and subsisting on enslaving a whole people, the Messenians and others. Despite what we may think of Sparta, at that time Persia was the most powerful nation on the planet and was bent on invasion and conquest, furthermore Spartan women enjoyed particular freedom and equality seen elsewhere. That the Spartans sent 300 due to their religious beliefs at the time and not the whole army says much. I do not agree with Spartan society as gthere were other warrior societies whom did not subsist on enslavement of others.

Anyway, I am not going into a daitribe about it, as a comic collector, I enjoyed the series and the film looks good, take from it what you will. I detested Alexander, it was excrutiating to watch and the acting was dire. I only hope if they ever do make the Elric movie, they treat it with the respect we Moorcockians deserve!

As a Scot, I enjoyed Braveheart but the story strayed far from the truth and the entertainment value was worth watching, even though most of us knew that Stirling was decided by the fight on a bridge which the film decided not to show.

If 300 is dire, I will let the Chaos Twins who cannot reach my books yet have a field day!!!!!!!!!! ( Oh no I've done this before and lived to regret it!!!! )

Back to Mike's books!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Madrigal Rose
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger
    Nice effects.
    And what is the message of this thing? Heroic, manly sacrifice of a handful of steadfast Spartan marines against the swarthy Persians/Iranians to save civilisation ...? Once again? Forgive if I'm a trifle sceptical ...
    Aaahhh, yes. Heroic, manly sacrifice. Oh! and don't forget about sex- that's a big seller, too- often tied in with the violence. Is there an example of a movie full of special effects that hasn't suffered an anemic plot?

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Nice effects.
    And what is the message of this thing? Heroic, manly sacrifice of a handful of steadfast Spartan marines against the swarthy Persians/Iranians to save civilisation ...? Once again? Forgive if I'm a trifle sceptical ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X