Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Wizards! (Ralph Bakshi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizards! (Ralph Bakshi)

Anyone heard of this?
    It's a partially rotoscope adult fantasy cartoon by Ralph Bakshi, who made the fairly dire LOTR cartoon.

However, Wizards is a great cartoon, well worth seeing.

Linky..
    http://www.thespinningimage.co.uk/cu...p?reviewid=833

Seem to remember there was a cartoon made of a pseudo non-fiction book called Flight of Dragons. That was quite good as I recall.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

This one?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_Dragons

It's a rankin bass effort if so.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre
        Anyone heard of this?
        It's a partially rotoscope adult fantasy cartoon by Ralph Bakshi, who made the fairly dire LOTR cartoon.

However, Wizards is a great cartoon, well worth seeing.

Linky..
        http://www.thespinningimage.co.uk/cu...p?reviewid=833
        If you like wizards, you should check out "Fire and Ice", by Ralph Bakshi, and Frank Frazzetta. Probably the best free hand animation I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiassi
          If you like wizards, you should check out "Fire and Ice", by Ralph Bakshi, and Frank Frazzetta. Probably the best free hand animation I have ever seen.
          That sounds like it would be great, I will check it out.
          Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre
            This one?
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_Dragons

It's a rankin bass effort if so.
            That's the one.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Fire and Ice was very cool - haven't seen that in years! I remember reading an article about Wizards in one of the first issues of Starlog, but never got around to seeing it. Is it out on DVD at all?
              The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

I did a google search and found it here.

http://media.bcdb.com/dvd/B000A2LV4W...0Edition).html

Comment

I heard of Wizards a long time ago, but still have not seen it.

I have Fire and Ice on vhs, very cool. I did see that Best Buy also carried the dvd.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's on DVD, don't know if it's still in print but I bought a copy a few years ago. It has an interview and commentary, IIRC centering on how the film was doing OK in theaters but ended up having to compete with Star Wars so pretty much hit the skids...

Comment

I saw Wizards in the theatre at the time of its initial release. It was congruent with other animated movies of the early and mid seventies. During that period it was viewed as more of a "hippy-freak" movie in this area. We had 2 all-night theatres in the city that used to play movies the likes of Tommy, Phantom Of The Paradise, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fritz The Cat, Reefer Madness Woodstock, Wizards etc.etc.

Ralph Bakshi made other animated adult cartoons such as, Heavy Traffic, Fritz The Cat, Nine Lives Of Fritz The Cat and of course Wizards. These movies were considered more as psychedelia than fantasy by my crowd. There was also a LOTR (yeecchh) buzz going on at that same time and henceforth (I believe) came along the creation of Wizards. If you check out any other of Ralph B.'s work from that period you'll find that they're plastered with sex, drugs and violence.
                      I've seen Wizards many times and still enjoy watching it whenever it airs.
                      Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Don't forget "Cool World". It had Brad Pitt in it.

Comment

I didn't realize that Cool World was done by Bakshi. I will have to check it out again.

Comment

It's funny, but just watched 'Wizards' and 'Fire and Ice' last week for the ?th time. Both great but I need to upgrade to DVD. Both are available. 'F&I' is available on Amazon in a two disk format.
                            I believe Bakshi said he did 'Wizards' while waiting for the rights to do LOTR; which he only filmed about half the story and then Rankin-Bass(?) got the rights to 'Return of the King'. I believe that's the history.
                            To be a Bakshi fan means taking the good with the bad.
                            BTW, there was a 'Wizards' RPG put out in the early 90's by a company called Witt. Out of business now. The premise looks good but I never played it; just archived it on the Ol' Game Shelf.
                            Last edited by ThomasL; 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

This is a great example of a movie that I loved as a kid back in the 80s. When I saw that it was available on DVD I rushed out an bought it and found that my memory of it was much better than the actual film. Hate when that happens

Comment

Working...
                              X