Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Alexander the Great movie..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the Great movie..

What are your opinions on the expected raping of Alexander's glorious history on the altar of capitalism? Indeed they will present us a gay hero.. (literally). imho this sucks ass.. and i wonder if any political games will be played in the background and reflected upon the movie.

exactly m8...

As feared they will present us a sensitive and feminine gay guy and a lot of the movie is going to revolve around his relationships.

The fact that in ancient greece there were no prejudices in sex and they did it sometimes merely out of occasional lust like in ancient egypt, (kinda like the dancers at the end of time 8) etc) is completely irrelevant....

Personally even though i find it good that the ignorant mass public will finally learn more about this enormous personality and the greatest general ever, I am terryfied with how they will present it and how much history will be twisted to fit current marketing trends for the movie to be a success. :(

Comment

To be honest, most biopics screw up the history of their subjects, that's just the nature of having to attract an audience... but I don't think Oliver Stone has ever been very bothered about political correctness.

Besides which, it's worth a little history-raping if we get to see Colin Farrell smooching with Jared Leto, right? That'd be hot, right? Am I right? Go on, admit it.

JayJay

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay
        To be honest, most biopics screw up the history of their subjects, that's just the nature of having to attract an audience... but I don't think Oliver Stone has ever been very bothered about political correctness.

Besides which, it's worth a little history-raping if we get to see Colin Farrell smooching with Jared Leto, right? That'd be hot, right? Am I right? Go on, admit it.

JayJay
        My official response is, NO. That would not be hot. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay
          Besides which, it's worth a little history-raping if we get to see Colin Farrell smooching with Jared Leto, right?
          Personally I'd rather see Jared Leto and Claire Danes "smooching" in a My So-Called Life Reunion Special, but that's beside the point.

Weren't there two movies in the pipeline at one point? Perhaps they'll both take a different perspective on the man and his "greatness"?

D...
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

A year ago i had read all that I could find about both the movies (alexander, alexander the great). I know it is funny but the only thing that i came to learn is that there will not be 2 different aspects of his greatness, but of his gayness! I read a couple of interviews (oliver stone, and that moulin rouge guy that directs the other) and both of them emphasized on the gay erotic scenes. I will not pay a cent to see that in movie.. blasphemy..

Take that in mind, even if he was gay or bi or whatever - the movie should not talk about it. and if it did it should respect the ancient wisdom. Above all he is a hero.

Comment

Ok, even though he was gay, does the whole movie need to be based around it? I mean the reason we know of Alexander is his military genius. Not the fact that he enjoyed the company of the fellas more than the ladies. I think the only reason theyre doing it this way is cuz they know people will pay just to see Colin Farrel kiss a guy. It'll be all over the news and MTV, and VH1, and Entertainment tonight. Its gonna get so hyped that everyone in america will know about it and have to see it just because of the fact that its so Controversial. Remember when Titanic came out, and it was pg-13, but there was a boob scene? Rememeber how much controversy there was over that? Its gonna be the same thing.

Comment

That was my first thought when I heard it was an Oliver Stone flick ... ' oh great, you have one of the most powerful names of the last 2500 years (a leader that orchestrated armies across most of the known world, and never tasted defeat) and all Stone is gonna care about is how many guys he screwed... literally'. I know he was gay; though my major was in ancient civ, its pretty common knowledge. I could care less. If he had been straight would the movie revolve around those relationships? No, and I don't like the fact that a director would even feel he needs to find an angle for a subject this colosal already. Would a love scene with Angelina Jolie bother me? Gotta admit, I'd like it. Would a love scene with Jared Leto and Collin Farell bother me? That's pretty creepy to me. I could survive it, though. If that becomes a theme of the story? Then a great opportunity and alot of money has been wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekk
                  That was my first thought when I heard it was an Oliver Stone flick ... ' oh great, you have one of the most powerful names of the last 2500 years (a leader that orchestrated armies across most of the known world, and never tasted defeat) and all Stone is gonna care about is how many guys he screwed... literally'. I know he was gay; though my major was in ancient civ, its pretty common knowledge. I could care less. If he had been straight would the movie revolve around those relationships? No, and I don't like the fact that a director would even feel he needs to find an angle for a subject this colosal already. Would a love scene with Angelina Jolie bother me? Gotta admit, I'd like it. Would a love scene with Jared Leto and Collin Farell bother me? That's pretty creepy to me. I could survive it, though. If that becomes a theme of the story? Then a great opportunity and alot of money has been wasted.
                  Amen to that.

Comment

Well as usual When did sexual preference become more then an emotion and turned into this big ugly political beast.
                    why must we be force fed such things if someone has a certain preference and it pertains to the story or history or character devlopment then great inform us but dont destroy a great story to simple make a sexual political statement.

I can see in the far far future we will simply have closet hetrosexulism
                    ohh maybe we could have our own holiday and Parades then.

Comment

Well you guys i have to admit that over here in Greece we are kind of tired that almost all of are ancient history - legacy has been twosted again and again by Hollywood.
                      This will not be the first time nor am i homophobic so as not to want to admit the fact that many of my ancestors where indeed gay.But between mentioning that in the movie and making it the only reason to create it is another thing and it kind of makes me wonder about the US.Where on earth is your country going to and can't you do anything to stop it cause i know that there are people there that are interested in the fact that their country is going down the draine but i seems that they are to few to make a difference, but have they really tried.
                      Well i'm going to stop talking now see ya

Comment

I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing that even though I'm not really a Colin Farrell fan...

Where on earth is your country going to and can't you do anything to stop it cause i know that there are people there that are interested in the fact that their country is going down the draine but i seems that they are to few to make a difference, but have they really tried.
                        I have no idea where this country is going. I wish I could say more, but it seems sometimes like we can't control ourselves. I think probably the reason that homosexuality is such a big deal with this movie is that Americans still have some big problems with gay marriage and such. Because there is such a loud negative voice on these issues, others try even harder to support homosexuality. I personally don't have any problems with the issue, but I wish we didn't have to try so hard to make homosexuality acceptable because it comes off so pushy to everyone else. Hopefully, the movie doesn't really focus too much on Alexander's sexuality...it might just be the big buzz right now because of the gay marriage issues here.

I'm personally a big fan of Alexander the Great and I will go see this movie no matter what (even though I don't have very high hopes for it.) I've done a lot of research on Alexander and I do think that his relationship with Hephaestion is important. Have any of you seen the anime "Reign: The Conqueror"? If you ever get bored with Hollywood's total destruction of history, you could watch it and amuse yourselves with Japan's take on it. It certainly isn't accurate, but amusing nonetheless. If you guys are interested, I have a website dedicated to the anime. Here's a link for ya:

http://www.toyboxorphan.net/reign

Comment

Originally posted by Major Lockup
                          A year ago i had read all that I could find about both the movies (alexander, alexander the great). I know it is funny but the only thing that i came to learn is that there will not be 2 different aspects of his greatness, but of his gayness! I read a couple of interviews (oliver stone, and that moulin rouge guy that directs the other) and both of them emphasized on the gay erotic scenes. I will not pay a cent to see that in movie.. blasphemy..

Take that in mind, even if he was gay or bi or whatever - the movie should not talk about it. and if it did it should respect the ancient wisdom. Above all he is a hero.
                          Well said! With all the accomplishments and battles of Alexander why should his sex life have any baring on a film. To have explicit scenes seems like a way to stir controversy and add shock value.

I'm boycotting the film as well.

Comment

If I was Greek I would probably want to smack Hollywood across the head. Yes, I know most men in ancient Greece had sex with women and men but does their need to be a movie made about it? Do we evem know Alexander's sexual prefernce? I doubt it. Maybe he was a herotosexual. Who knows. Anyways, Alexander did not become popular because of his sexuality. It was his military genious that made him popular. Since the movie Troy turned out to be terrible I am not going to see the movie about Alexander. I also think it is not polite to use other people's history and culture to make a political statement.

Comment

Might I just add that now Alex is described as gay the Greeks might be more willing to accept he wasn't Greek? He was from Macedonia. This is a very emotional issue between the two countries, but if he was gay the Greeks might want return him ...?
                              Any Greeks around to stone me?

L'Etranger

Ah, at least Napoleon had a very "straight" record!
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X