Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What films are you watching in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zlogdan
    replied
    I watched "Life" on Netflix, but I don't recommend it. It is a bunch of commonplace sci-fi/horror film which rips off Alien big time. Well, all the time.
    I have seen "Turma Da Monica" on cable tv enjoying the fact the tv provider has made all channels available now during the crisis. Turma da Monica has been a very famous comics which has been read by children and adults since the 70s. The film is ok.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Just finished watching Underworld Awakening and really enjoyed it. I didn't think they could do much more with the Underworld franchise after Rise Of The Lycans, but they managed to pull out a really good storyline and left it open nicely for the final installment Blood Wars, which I will probably watch tonight. Kate Beckinsale is back in top form as Selene and really delivers in this one. There are a number of new characters introduced, including Selene's hybrid daughter who is badass. I was pleasantly surprised that they packed as much storyline as they did into a film that only runs an hour and eighteen minutes before the credits. The only drawback for me was there were a couple of scenes where the CGI could have been a little better executed, but the film is well scripted and acted so I didn't mind it too much and found it only a minor distraction.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
    Maximum Cage was a film called Deadfall, directed by his cousin, Christopher Coppola, a 100% piece of solid gold shite. There are clips from it on YouTube - cage plays a gangster by way of Ron Burgundy.
    Good grief does that look bad. Producers musta been drunk or heavily medicated.

Anyway, I still recommend watching Mandy and want to see The Colour out of Space. Cage's involvement isn't a deal breaker for me. For me, Stanley's involvement trumps Cage's.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 03-12-2020, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
    I'll second that.
    Maximum Cage was a film called Deadfall, directed by his cousin, Christopher Coppola, a 100% piece of solid gold shite. There are clips from it on YouTube - cage plays a gangster by way of Ron Burgundy.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
    You should give 'Mandy' a go...
    I'll second that.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

I'll still check it out, as I can't resist adaptations of Lovecraft. I haven't watched another Nicholas Cage movie after seeing his atrocious performance in "Season Of The Witch". He can't possibly be any worse in "Color Out Of Space"...or can he?
    You should give 'Mandy' a go...

Directed by the son of the guy who directed Rambo 2 (no joke).

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    I'm waiting to see The Color Out of Space. Richard Stanley and Lovecraft AND Nic Cage? That's all kinds of crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    I've seen that German version, which approaches it in the old style "Film noir" . I liked that (like some of the movies made by the Lovecraft society).
    This new version is definitely worth seeing though, It was surprisingly good.
    But I get the whole Nicholas Cage turn off thing.
    I'll still check it out, as I can't resist adaptations of Lovecraft. I haven't watched another Nicholas Cage movie after seeing his atrocious performance in "Season Of The Witch". He can't possibly be any worse in "Color Out Of Space"...or can he?

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    I've seen that German version, which approaches it in the old style "Film noir" . I liked that (like some of the movies made by the Lovecraft society).
    This new version is definitely worth seeing though, It was surprisingly good.
    But I get the whole Nicholas Cage turn off thing.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    I watch "The color out of space" recently, which was a surprisingly good adaption of HP Love craft's story.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)

I generally don't like Nicholas Cage, but he did a good job in this movie.
    Nicholas Cage has been the one element that has been keeping me from seeing this version of the film. I've seen all of the other adaptations to date and the best one out of those for me has been the German film "Die Farbe".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756479/

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    I watch "The color out of space" recently, which was a surprisingly good adaption of HP Love craft's story.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)

I generally don't like Nicholas Cage, but he did a good job in this movie.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Only Sting
    Can make it rain
    When his bass is one of three
    Only Sting
    Can make it rain
    Like when he sang
    That de do do deal

In other movie related news, watched IT (part 1) with my 10 year old and she found it scary. Note: we watched the movie version of the 90's mini-series which was emphatically declared "not scary."

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    That's cool, I like Sting in The Bride as well. (and enjoyed him in Dune, since around 1984 or so, I guess they call that an iconic performance, he really rose above)

------------
    Ah, yes, the Bell Boy!
    It's coming back now.
    ------------
    Tommy had some strange moments.

It's been since the 90's when I watched that movie.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by lemec View Post
    It's been a long time since I watched Quadrophenia as well.

I think Sting appeared in it.
    As Jack Of Shadows said, Sting was, indeed, in it. He played "Ace," the Face that Jimmy and other Mods idolize and the realization that he is just another normal bloke (the "Bell Boy") is something of the straw that breaks the Camel's back for Jimmy at end. Again, it was a very well put together film and one which I think deserves more attention than it gets but the core story was quite a bit different from what I expected from the original album. Jimmy was more real in the film, of course, and he seemed driven more by relatable angst and methamphetamine driven mania than by Pete's concept of "quadropheni[c]" madness.

Still happy to hear it open the same way: I am the Sea > (Can You See) The Real Me. One my all-time favorite segues in music (right up there with the mid-track switch in The Guess Who's No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature)! Although saving Dr. Jimmy & Mr. Jim until the end credits seems a missed opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by lemec View Post
    It's been a long time since I watched Quadrophenia as well.

I think Sting appeared in it.
    Yeah Sting was in it and was very good. He's definitely underrated as an actor and should have had a bigger part in that movie. He is wickedly brilliant in Brimstone And Treacle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X