Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What films are you watching in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watch "The color out of space" recently, which was a surprisingly good adaption of HP Love craft's story.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)

I generally don't like Nicholas Cage, but he did a good job in this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
      I watch "The color out of space" recently, which was a surprisingly good adaption of HP Love craft's story.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)

I generally don't like Nicholas Cage, but he did a good job in this movie.
      Nicholas Cage has been the one element that has been keeping me from seeing this version of the film. I've seen all of the other adaptations to date and the best one out of those for me has been the German film "Die Farbe".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756479/
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I've seen that German version, which approaches it in the old style "Film noir" . I liked that (like some of the movies made by the Lovecraft society).
        This new version is definitely worth seeing though, It was surprisingly good.
        But I get the whole Nicholas Cage turn off thing.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
          I've seen that German version, which approaches it in the old style "Film noir" . I liked that (like some of the movies made by the Lovecraft society).
          This new version is definitely worth seeing though, It was surprisingly good.
          But I get the whole Nicholas Cage turn off thing.
          I'll still check it out, as I can't resist adaptations of Lovecraft. I haven't watched another Nicholas Cage movie after seeing his atrocious performance in "Season Of The Witch". He can't possibly be any worse in "Color Out Of Space"...or can he?

Comment

I'm waiting to see The Color Out of Space. Richard Stanley and Lovecraft AND Nic Cage? That's all kinds of crazy.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

I'll still check it out, as I can't resist adaptations of Lovecraft. I haven't watched another Nicholas Cage movie after seeing his atrocious performance in "Season Of The Witch". He can't possibly be any worse in "Color Out Of Space"...or can he?
              You should give 'Mandy' a go...

Directed by the son of the guy who directed Rambo 2 (no joke).
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
                You should give 'Mandy' a go...
                I'll second that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                  I'll second that.
                  Maximum Cage was a film called Deadfall, directed by his cousin, Christopher Coppola, a 100% piece of solid gold shite. There are clips from it on YouTube - cage plays a gangster by way of Ron Burgundy.

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
                    Maximum Cage was a film called Deadfall, directed by his cousin, Christopher Coppola, a 100% piece of solid gold shite. There are clips from it on YouTube - cage plays a gangster by way of Ron Burgundy.
                    Good grief does that look bad. Producers musta been drunk or heavily medicated.

Anyway, I still recommend watching Mandy and want to see The Colour out of Space. Cage's involvement isn't a deal breaker for me. For me, Stanley's involvement trumps Cage's.
                    Last edited by Heresiologist; 03-12-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Just finished watching Underworld Awakening and really enjoyed it. I didn't think they could do much more with the Underworld franchise after Rise Of The Lycans, but they managed to pull out a really good storyline and left it open nicely for the final installment Blood Wars, which I will probably watch tonight. Kate Beckinsale is back in top form as Selene and really delivers in this one. There are a number of new characters introduced, including Selene's hybrid daughter who is badass. I was pleasantly surprised that they packed as much storyline as they did into a film that only runs an hour and eighteen minutes before the credits. The only drawback for me was there were a couple of scenes where the CGI could have been a little better executed, but the film is well scripted and acted so I didn't mind it too much and found it only a minor distraction.

Comment

I watched "Life" on Netflix, but I don't recommend it. It is a bunch of commonplace sci-fi/horror film which rips off Alien big time. Well, all the time.
                        I have seen "Turma Da Monica" on cable tv enjoying the fact the tv provider has made all channels available now during the crisis. Turma da Monica has been a very famous comics which has been read by children and adults since the 70s. The film is ok.
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I have been watching various classic Disney live-action movies.

(I also watched some Star Wars films)

And, I played the Imagineering documentaries on Disney+

(good stuff, especially animatronics and effects)

Most everything else was not a movie, a series of some kind.

I might play some classic Disney animated movies sometime, in the background.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
                            I have been watching various classic Disney live-action movies.

(I also watched some Star Wars films)

And, I played the Imagineering documentaries on Disney+

(good stuff, especially animatronics and effects)

Most everything else was not a movie, a series of some kind.

I might play some classic Disney animated movies sometime, in the background.
                            Disney streaming is worth the price right?
                            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Disney streaming is worth the price right?
                              It is for me, certainly.

I would say that it is worth it. (at least for a few weeks)

I found many things to watch.
                              ---------

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I watched "The platform" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8228288/
                                A Spanish sort of art/Horror film about people who are voluntarily put in a sort of vertical prison where food is transported down slowly and the situations that arise from that.

Quite an odd movie, but I found it surprisingly engaging.

Some scenes people might find disturbing though. It's quite gory and has challenging situations portrayed in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X