Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What films are you watching in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked The Prestige, and I like The Illusionist (Ed Norton), that came out around the same time.

Both were something I could really get into.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
      I liked The Prestige, and I like The Illusionist (Ed Norton), that came out around the same time.

Both were something I could really get into.
      I like The Illusionist too. It is a pretty good film.

Speaking of sci-fi films, I watched Ad Astra and I have slept while watching it. It was not necessarily bad but very far from what I was hoping for.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Recently watched 1917. A WW1 movie that was filmed in a way that it looked like one long take.
        This effect was really interesting. as everything had to make sense in that context.
        There was some really clever ways to link it all up.

Apart from that. It was a really moving film. So well done and probably my favourite movie over the last 12 months.

Comment

Where Eagles Dare

Is this the only movie where:

It is wonderful to see a movie again that has real effects of gravity and characters have to struggle to climb and jump.

Unlike everyone leaping about in superhero movies, which I like, but with them and some modern action flicks, it's easy to forget the danger within the story and the real accomplishment of the characters.

Also, I did have daydreams about playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein while the movie played.

Now, I'm curious if this movie and The Guns Of Navarone are related in some way other than the decade, oh, that's right.....Alistair MacLean. The internet search is a good thing. Ha!, Ha!, Ha!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Where Eagles Dare

Is this the only movie where:

See also John Carpenter's The Thing. I've also a feeling the end of Assault on Precinct 13 ends very similarly but I'd have to fire up the blu-ray to check.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I saw Parasite earlier this month. While I don't decry its Academy Awards I wasn't particularly wowed by it. I see/hear/read lots of people raving about it but I honestly don't see it myself.

Certainly people should see it but maybe be prepared not to believe all the hype?

(In full and open disclosure, a family member who saw Parasite on their own, was deeply moved by it.)
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                See also John Carpenter's The Thing. I've also a feeling the end of Assault on Precinct 13 ends very similarly but I'd have to fire up the blu-ray to check.
                Ah, yes. I think so.

Two good movies.

I have The Thing in my streaming library now. I watched it a few weeks ago.

There were at least tuckered out, and when I watched it last, I realized or remembered that there was not much trusting each other going around. Then I think it fades out.

One other movie comes to mind, now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't know what it is yet, it may be just movies where it happens in the middle of the movie. -but, it is unusual, and kind of fun.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Ah, yes. I think so.

Two good movies.

I have The Thing in my streaming library now. I watched it a few weeks ago.

There were at least tuckered out, and when I watched it last, I realized or remembered that there was not much trusting each other going around. Then I think it fades out.

One other movie comes to mind, now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't know what it is yet, it may be just movies where it happens in the middle of the movie. -but, it is unusual, and kind of fun.
                  Predator might be the other movie I was thinking about.

Also, it seems like there was an action-comedy that fits the description when the credits began to roll over top the scene.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Have loved the album for years but last night I finally watched the film, Quadrophenia. I rather enjoyed it even if I felt it didn't quite capture the full internal struggles of original concept as presented in the '73 Album. I'd give it 3.5 stars of 5 (which is a fairly high rating coming from me!). Soundtrack of course gets 4.5 of 5 (I wish they would have included the entirety of Quadrophenia and more Kinks, Small Faces, etc.).
                    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
                      Have loved the album for years but last night I finally watched the film, Quadrophenia. I rather enjoyed it even if I felt it didn't quite capture the full internal struggles of original concept as presented in the '73 Album. I'd give it 3.5 stars of 5 (which is a fairly high rating coming from me!). Soundtrack of course gets 4.5 of 5 (I wish they would have included the entirety of Quadrophenia and more Kinks, Small Faces, etc.).
                      I haven't seen that film in years, but enjoyed it as well. The acting was really good from what I can recall, but I agree more music would have made it better. I'll have to watch it again soon. It's been one of those films on my must get a hold of on DVD list, but I do have a VHS copy tucked away.
                      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

It's been a long time since I watched Quadrophenia as well.

I think Sting appeared in it.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yeah Sting was in it and was very good. He's definitely underrated as an actor and should have had a bigger part in that movie. He is wickedly brilliant in Brimstone And Treacle.
                          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

As Jack Of Shadows said, Sting was, indeed, in it. He played "Ace," the Face that Jimmy and other Mods idolize and the realization that he is just another normal bloke (the "Bell Boy") is something of the straw that breaks the Camel's back for Jimmy at end. Again, it was a very well put together film and one which I think deserves more attention than it gets but the core story was quite a bit different from what I expected from the original album. Jimmy was more real in the film, of course, and he seemed driven more by relatable angst and methamphetamine driven mania than by Pete's concept of "quadropheni[c]" madness.

Still happy to hear it open the same way: I am the Sea > (Can You See) The Real Me. One my all-time favorite segues in music (right up there with the mid-track switch in The Guess Who's No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature)! Although saving Dr. Jimmy & Mr. Jim until the end credits seems a missed opportunity.
                            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

That's cool, I like Sting in The Bride as well. (and enjoyed him in Dune, since around 1984 or so, I guess they call that an iconic performance, he really rose above)

------------
                              Ah, yes, the Bell Boy!
                              It's coming back now.
                              ------------
                              Tommy had some strange moments.

It's been since the 90's when I watched that movie.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Only Sting
                                Can make it rain
                                When his bass is one of three
                                Only Sting
                                Can make it rain
                                Like when he sang
                                That de do do deal

In other movie related news, watched IT (part 1) with my 10 year old and she found it scary. Note: we watched the movie version of the 90's mini-series which was emphatically declared "not scary."

Comment

Working...
                                X