Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What films are you watching in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What films are you watching in 2020?

Let's update the old thread!

I have seen Frozen 2 ( ok ) and that lame movie Disney dared to associated with Star Wars :-)
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

I watched Episode 9 in 2019, but I have to agree it was very lame. This year I actualy havent wached a movie. But I rewatched some of the Mandalorian, which I loved and consider the true Star Wars entry of last year.

Comment

I recently watched "knives out". A sort of inspired movie take of the Cluedo game. I really enjoyed it.

​​​​​
      Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-12-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I recently picked up two complete collection set DVD's, "Resident Evil" and "Leprechaun", really cheap so I thought why not for a bit of fun. I really enjoyed the first two "Resident Evil" films and they have me interested enough to watch the rest. The first "Leprechaun" movie had some laughs and is one of those so bad it's good horror films.
        "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
        'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Watched "Leprechaun 2" last night. Surprisingly, it was much better than the first film. Better scripted and acted with more laughs than the first. It was a little bit gorier, but managed to have some entertaining and comedic horror moments. The next in that series is "Leprechaun In Space", and with a title like that it's bound to be off-the-wall ridiculous! On a much more sophisticated film note, I picked up The Criterion Edition of "The Royal Tenenbaums" today for a steal at $2 at the thrift store. I love Wes Anderson's films. He is a brilliant director with a discerning eye for detail. His films have some very moving moments and are full of subtle comedy genius!

Comment

I watched Joker the other day.

I thought is was similar to an old movie.

I'll have to try to remember how Spoiler tags work on here, might be brackets and forward slash, in case I have movie discussions.

I don't think a Spoilers button has appeared in this incarnation of Moorcock's Miscellany.

There will be many good movies and things to see in the future!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Here's the 100 films I saw at the cinema in 2019:
              roGMIC.jpg

So far this year I've seen: The Gentlemen, Bombshell, Just Mercy, 1917 (twice), Seberg, Waves and Bad Boys For Life. Next up I'm planning on seeing David Copperfield (probably this weekend) and The Lighthouse, Richard Jewell and hopefully others later in the month.

I generally post short reviews on my Facebook timeline as well as a general verdict as to the film's quality.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
                I watched Joker the other day.

I thought is was similar to an old movie.
                I thought Joker was a well-made film that owes a huge debt to King Of Comedy as well as NYC-based movies of the '70s, such as The French Connection, Taxi Driver and Saturday Night Fever, but I resented how they crowbarred the Batman mythos into the story.

I think Joker would have been just as good/interesting without that additional baggage because it reinforced for me Alan Moore's ultimate complaint about The Killing Joke, namely these are characters that aren't equipped or intended to carry that sort of emotional weight.

I also resented how the end of the film effectively rendered the preceding two hours a waste of time. (Hard to say more without spoilers but if you've seen it you may know what I mean.)

Personally therefore Joker didn't make it into my top twenty films of 2019 (think it placed at #21*) but I understand why the fanboys are raving about it during awards season. I just think there were much better (non-comics) films and performances.

*For context, Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame were respectively my 22nd and 23rd best films of 2019 while Spider-Man: Far From Home and Brightburn made the 5th and 18th spots respectively. (My main criticism of Brightburn was it wasn't nearly as nasty as it ought to have been.)
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                  Here's the 100 films I saw at the cinema in 2019.
                  WOW you've seen a lot!

A Clockwork Orange and Alien are two of my all time favorites.

Comment

I have watched the three John Wick films and loved them. They are a sort of modern ronin dark film. This has been a recommendation from my youngest son.
                    I also watched The Silence, which I would advise not waste time with.
                    In The Shadow Of The Moon is a good movie but not briliant.
                    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                      I thought Joker was a well-made film that owes a huge debt to King Of Comedy as well as NYC-based movies of the '70s, such as The French Connection, Taxi Driver and Saturday Night Fever, but I resented how they crowbarred the Batman mythos into the story.

I think Joker would have been just as good/interesting without that additional baggage because it reinforced for me Alan Moore's ultimate complaint about The Killing Joke, namely these are characters that aren't equipped or intended to carry that sort of emotional weight.

I also resented how the end of the film effectively rendered the preceding two hours a waste of time. (Hard to say more without spoilers but if you've seen it you may know what I mean.)

Personally therefore Joker didn't make it into my top twenty films of 2019 (think it placed at #21*) but I understand why the fanboys are raving about it during awards season. I just think there were much better (non-comics) films and performances.

*For context, Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame were respectively my 22nd and 23rd best films of 2019 while Spider-Man: Far From Home and Brightburn made the 5th and 18th spots respectively. (My main criticism of Brightburn was it wasn't nearly as nasty as it ought to have been.)
                      It's really nice to see your return to Moorcock's Miscellany, David!

It's good to have the forum active, as well as Twitter and Facebook.

The comments are a lot to absorb and I see what you mean.

Good points.

I did not think that deeply on Joker, but I clearly see it.

Makes sense and adds to the movie.

Now, I wonder if this Joker will appear in the next Batman movies, or will Joker's Joker stand alone.

Thanks very much!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

On Netflix,

Blade Runner The Final Cut.

I didn't play all the versions side by side, but early in the film on Netflix, the sounds seem different, maybe better and some scenes appear larger to me, or look like they are shown at different angles. The drink at the bar seems different and there are a few subtle changes here and there, if I remember the other ones correctly. It seems different from my Blu-ray set. One scene looked like they used a rough edit, and some running time might have been removed.

In the near future I might watch Blade Runner while drinking Tsingtao.

Not sure if it's like the alcohol in the movie, searches usually say it's a beer.

Harrison Ford always made it look good and interesting, though!

The movie still makes me think of the characters and their choices.

And, I'm always amazed at how Blade Runner looks.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

On Netflix,

Blade Runner The Final Cut.

I didn't play all the versions side by side, but early in the film on Netflix, the sounds seem different, maybe better and some scenes appear larger to me, or look like they are shown at different angles. The drink at the bar seems different and there are a few subtle changes here and there, if I remember the other ones correctly. It seems different from my Blu-ray set. One scene looked like they used a rough edit, and some running time might have been removed.

In the near future I might watch Blade Runner while drinking Tsingtao.

Not sure if it's like the alcohol in the movie, searches usually say it's a beer.

Harrison Ford always made it look good and interesting, though!

The movie still makes me think of the characters and their choices.

And, I'm always amazed at how Blade Runner looks.
                          Great film! It's one of my all time favorites. I purchased a 4 disc collectors set a while back which has The Final Cut as well as all the other cuts prior to that one. There is also a huge feature length documentary which is really fascinating and gets real in depth about production. The Final Cut is really enjoyable with Ridley Scott's commentary turned on as well.

Tsingtao is a decent pilsner beer from China. It's light and refreshing with balanced flavor that isn't overly hoppy. It pairs well with Chinese food and Japanese sushi. If you've never had it, it's worth a try and would be fun to drink while watching the film and eating noodles. ;-)

Comment

Yeah, that would be great!

When I watch Blade Runner on different TVs, some things seem different to me.

Also in movies, if I play them on Mute, I often notice things that I didn't notice before. Sound and voice can be a distraction from the video, or thinking of what's going on in the movie is a distraction, but if I just turn it down and watch something, it makes me think in different ways, and I register more things on the screen.

I think that I listened to the commentary, but it has been awhile now.

It was a fantastic moment in the 90's when the Director's Cut came out!

It totally changed how I view movies, and how I think about film.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yeah, that would be great!

When I watch Blade Runner on different TVs, some things seem different to me.

Also in movies, if I play them on Mute, I often notice things that I didn't notice before. Sound and voice can be a distraction from the video, or thinking of what's going on in the movie is a distraction, but if I just turn it down and watch something, it makes me think in different ways, and I register more things on the screen.

I think that I listened to the commentary, but it has been awhile now.

It was a fantastic moment in the 90's when the Director's Cut came out!

It totally changed how I view movies, and how I think about film.
                              I think I saw it 10 times. But I have never seen it in a theater which should be revealing. Blade Runner is a film that will hardly be beaten in my top 5 list. The closest a filme got to it was The Prestige.

Comment

Working...
                              X