Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I am Legend [2x merged]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Legend [2x merged]

MWM was down when this news broke, but I have to say how utterly appalled I am that the new movie adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend is going to feature Will "Oh Hell No!" Smith in the title role.

Terrible terrible casting - if I, Robot was anything to go by we can expect a piss poor treatment of a book that deserves a far better one...
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Oh! I'm with ya, devilchicken!

I would have rather the role would have been awarded to Chiwetel Ejiofor, of Serenity fame.

Or countless other fine actors.

Heath Ledger would have been good.

Mos Def,Peter Sarsgaard,Karl Urban....anybody but Wil Smith! haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Craptastic casting. They'll probably change the ending to a more upbeat one too.

If anyone is interested, the 1964 version starring Vincent Price is in the public domain and is available to download here:

http://www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth

Comment

I love the political spin on the Price version, it's amazing.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I quite like the Omega Man, though its not really a particularly great movie or very faithful to the book. It's got a certain feel I appreciate and the world-weary Heston does a pretty good job.

There's a scene that really cracks me up - where Heston is eating dinner (with himself) and the Family break out the catapults to shoot flaming projectiles into his apartment. When one sets his curtains aflame, he quietly apologises, gets up, goes over to the window - opens fire with a machine gun and then goes back to the table and continues eating.

It's also interesting that Heston wears a crushed velvet suit with cravat and lace cuffs, almost completely identical to the one worn by Austin Powers...
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
            I quite like the Omega Man, though its not really a particularly great movie or very faithful to the book. It's got a certain feel I appreciate and the world-weary Heston does a pretty good job.

There's a scene that really cracks me up - where Heston is eating dinner (with himself) and the Family break out the catapults to shoot flaming projectiles into his apartment. When one sets his curtains aflame, he quietly apologises, gets up, goes over to the window - opens fire with a machine gun and then goes back to the table and continues eating.

It's also interesting that Heston wears a crushed velvet suit with cravat and lace cuffs, almost completely identical to the one worn by Austin Powers...

Yeah! That's a great scene! One of the early infra-red scopes,haha.

I do have my 8mm camera recorder hooked up to my television so I can change the input selection and walk into the room saying,: "Hi big brother...how's your ass?" Whoever walks into the room is on the screen!

Yeah, it's been awhile since watched that Price version, I do have it on a dvd souble feature though,haha, I'll have to break it out again.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

a link to a recent screenplay adaption, don't know if it's the W.S. one:
              http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/legend.txt
              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
                a link to a recent screenplay adaption, don't know if it's the W.S. one:
                http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/legend.txt
                It appears to be. According to IMDB, Mark Protosevich is the screenwriter for the Will Smith version.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/

Looks like the he really hasn't understood the book at all. What a surprise! A happy ending.

Comment

Really? I was just guessing, now I'll have to read the thing.

Having seen Independence Day, and Enemy of the State, it appears that the string pullers behind the WS machine do seem to be able to do enough re-writes to come up with at a big bowl of bs that's sanitized and perfumed at least enough not to actually stink, as if they were constructing a C quality miniseries for the tube, not really worth a damn, and so bland as to make one unsure whether they were, eating the cereal or the box, but not really poison, though anyone who had seen The Conversation would realize how Enemy of the State as a derivitive work deathly pales in comparison.

Thought both M.I.Bs. worked pretty well, though I, Robot was sad, sad, sad.

Maybe WS amd Bruce Wills should team up to re-make an action amalgam of the old Hope/Crosby buddie movies, "The Road to Hell".

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant

......not really worth a damn, and so bland as to make one unsure whether they were, eating the cereal or the box,....

Fantastic wordplay!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks Lem, low blood sugar at work, MUST REACH CEREAL BOWL!!!

Comment

I tried, this weekend, to find the I Am Legend book in the locals shops, nobody has it. oh, well.

I noticed te bookstores usually don't have what I want to buy.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

This is going to be so horrifically bad, which is ridiculous because the book is so good, and dare I say it..... rather simple.

How could they screw it up... I mean, really!?

Comment

Given all the money, talent, technology, and just plain cinematic savvy, how could they not?

Comment

I am Legend

There are pictures at www.comingsoon.net in case these don't come out properly. I have to say I'm not overly enthused...

Comment

Working...
                              X