Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Serenity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serenity

Has anyone seen this Joss Wheedon flick based on his canceled TV series Firefly. I thought it was a cracking film, though maybe it fell short a little of the atmosphere of the TV series which had more scope to focus on and develop the themes and characters. Sadly there's no sign yet of a follow up movie or, even better, a return to TV of the series.

Funny you ask- I bought the Serenity DVD last week and I liked it a lot. I liked the fact that the actors weren't big stars, with big star close-ups to shove down my throat. But mostly it was a neat concept. I don't have FireFly as a reference, though. Will save my pennies for that one.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
    -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

ya, Serenity was pretty cool. I never did see all of Firefly yet.

I used to like to pick out the cool little technologies in space adventures.

I liked the cool med-pack-thing that squirts a foam-like substance over the wound.

I don't think there will be a new series, I think the director is moving on to something else.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yes, Serenity was brilliant but I agree 100% that it falls short of Firefly. I was first shown this film by a friend of mine in the cinema but I didn't think that it translated as well to the TV. A lot of the action really needs the sense of depth and volume you get from the big screen.

Firefly is truly a brilliant show though. I really do hope they make another series, but I also am not very optimistic about that.

Comment

Yeah, part of me wants to strangle the Fox execs who got the show cancelled. So much crap out there and they go and cancel the good stuff.
          I missed Serenity at the cinema Hawklord but if I ever see it back on the big screen I'll surely give it a shot. Sounds like I missed out on a great experience there. JW's working on a personal project called Goners, the upcoming Wonder Woman film and the X-Men comic I believe.
          I'll have to wander back over to www.whedonesque.com and catch the latest news.

Comment

I was a fan of the TV show, and I really liked the film.

Firefly was both high-concept and mindless entertainment--you could watch it at either level or both. I think Whedon pulled off the western as a space opera far better than Lucas, for whatever that is worth. Despite their denials, I think the Fox executives know that they pulled the plug too early.

As an aside, I think it is silly that Fox executives expected big ratings numbers in a time slot that hasn't generated big numbers since The X-Files was in it. Firefly seems to be another victim of Fox programmers' default science fiction-y, horror-y, fantasy-y time slot. I don't make millions of dollars as a network programmer, but I know that I shouldn't expect lightning to strike twice there, as they seem to keep expecting.

I liked that Serenity provided some resolution for Firefly, but remained a great stand-alone film. I saw it with people who had never seen the television show, who probably liked it even more than I did.

Comment

Cinemax East is scheduled to run Serenity this coming Saturday at 9:00 p.m. central standard time (U.S.)
              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I'm really glad to find you're a fan of the 'verse too Doc. Yeah, that friday night slot didn't do the show any favours, was notorious for being a trouble slot.

Comparisons and contrasts with Star Wars are moot I think as Joss mentioned that he deliberately pitched the show to contrast with several of the paradigms in SW (and Star Trek) like no aliens or portentous destinies and 'its not about the people who make history, its about the people that history stepped on' or 'the kind of people that the Enterprise would just blow right past and not even notice.'

Also Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon were a big influence on the way Firefly was set up because Joss was interested in the day to day life of a smuggler like Han.

It was great, whacky, original, adventurous, funny, thoughtful and moving, and sadly, it's also gone, as I read no hint of a return on the net. Perhaps it was too original for its own good.

Imagine a film with a Lucas budget and a Whedon script. Whedon is really good at handling just the kind of character transition that Lucas handled so clumsily with Darth Vader.
                Last edited by Grey Mouser; 07-20-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Thx for the info Tal!

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                    Also Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon were a big influence on the way Firefly was set up because Joss was interested in the day to day life of a smuggler like Han.
                    Doh! I'm not sure how I missed that. Seems a bit obvious now that you point it out, Mouser. Maybe that explains why I liked Firefly--Han Solo was far more fun and interesting when he was a smuggler

Imagine a film with a Lucas budget and a Whedon script. Whedon is really good at handling just the kind of character transition that Lucas handled so clumsily with Darth Vader.
                    We should be so lucky to get such a movie. Maybe when we're in charge of the studios...

Comment

Actually Doc, I missed the Han connection as well. It was only from the DVD specials and hearing JW speak about it that I found out. Yeah, he does convert to being a 'force' groupie a bit too soon - perhaps because of his affection for Leia. After all, as they say in another one of JW's shows 'love makes you do the wacky'.

Comment

Here's a link to a blog entry with a video of JW at an event held in his honour.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga...&entry_id=6741

Introduced by Meryl Streep, after a shakey start, he goes on to make an excellent speech on the answer to the question he gets asked most often in interviews: 'why do you create such powerful female characters.'

Comment

Actually Doc, I missed the Han connection as well. It was only from the DVD specials and hearing JW speak about it that I found out. Yeah, he does convert to being a 'force' groupie a bit too soon - perhaps because of his affection for Leia. After all, as they say in another one of JW's shows 'love makes you do the wacky'.

Great line!

Comment

Introduced by Meryl Streep, after a shakey start, he goes on to make an excellent speech on the answer to the question he gets asked most often in interviews: 'why do you create such powerful female characters.'
                            Interestingly enough, I've heard MM answer a similar question at least three times. At least once the question contained "how" instead of "why." I know because I asked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Madrigal Rose
                              Funny you ask- I bought the Serenity DVD last week and I liked it a lot. I liked the fact that the actors weren't big stars, with big star close-ups to shove down my throat. But mostly it was a neat concept. I don't have FireFly as a reference, though. Will save my pennies for that one.
                              Glad you liked it Rose. The Firefly DVD set is really worth picking up if you liked the film - probably available quite cheap these days too. It has a great sound track too, and the DVD extras are quite interesting. Maybe there's someone you can borrow it from?

I agree with the comment you made about big stars. There comes a time when actors get so big they just overpower the roles in which they appear.
                              The Firefly/Serenity actors were totally perfect for their parts.
                              The fact that Serenity had no big stars with which to market the film worked against it at the box office, but that's only because of the superficial way that the Hollywood machine operates.

Comment

Working...
                              X