Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by EverKing View Post
    If that is your forte I highly recommend that channel, "Because Science." Although the presenter, Kyle Hill, has recently left and started his own independent and eponymous channel...
    I've already mentally bookmarked that channel and intend to tell my daughter she can watch two or three episodes a day without it counting against her screen-time limit.

I also agree that Star Wars (IV: A New Hope) is still the best of the bunch, even if Empire Strikes Back may have some better writing and characterizations. As a space-myth, though, nothing has quite reached the emotional impact of the original.
    Regarding this I should also mention my kiddo's reaction to Star Wars (IV: A New Hope). She was rather disappointed with it because she thought Princess Leia didn't do much and, worse, stupidly fired the blaster in the trash compactor room. Among other things, she thought Leia should have hopped in an X-Wing and helped attack the Death Star.

Also, I don't think Star Wars is all that special for her. She likes it well enough, but I think it's (more or less) just another fantastical show among the many others she's already seen. And I think that's a key difference between the Star Wars of yesterday and today. When it first came out it was unusual, now it's just not and the field is very crowded.

Actually, though it's my least favourite, I think Return of the Jedi is probably her favourite original trilogy installment. Mostly because ewoks, but I think she liked Leia choking out Jabba the Hutt (though I seem to remember she wasn't happy with the bikini).
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 03-11-2020, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
    That was great! Nice to see somebody overthinking it even more than me, but WITH SCIENCE (rather than history).
    If that is your forte I highly recommend that channel, "Because Science." Although the presenter, Kyle Hill, has recently left and started his own independent and eponymous channel which still hasn't quite found its full rhythm. Of course, he's only two videos in so we can give it some time yet. In any event, Because Science is great because they take all manner of nerdy pop-culture events and technologies and attempts to apply real science to them ( What would happen if you were hit by a real lightsaber? Hint: it is far, far worse than you'd think).

You get an honourary Conjunction of the Million Likes award which, due to Internet Relativism, is compressed into the shape of 1 Like.
    I'll take it even with the compression!

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    ...the hyperdrive kamikaze maneuver. It really does open a whole can of worms for the entire Star Wars universe. Here's someone who put a little math behind it all which addresses some of the problems and implications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1M95njhovw
    That was great! Nice to see somebody overthinking it even more than me, but WITH SCIENCE (rather than history). You get an honourary Conjunction of the Million Likes award which, due to Internet Relativism, is compressed into the shape of 1 Like.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    (don't feel like quoting, so forgive me)

RE: Script -- No, the original Trevorrow script does not contain such a scene with C-3PO that I recall. [EDIT: I had tried sending it over to you, but it didn't like the PDF. I'll see if I can get it to you.]

And, yes, I wasn't disagreeing with vis a vis the hyperdrive kamikaze maneuver. It really does open a whole can of worms for the entire Star Wars universe. Here's someone who put a little math behind it all which addresses some of the problems and implications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1M95njhovw

I also agree that Star Wars (IV: A New Hope) is still the best of the bunch, even if Empire Strikes Back may have some better writing and characterizations. As a space-myth, though, nothing has quite reached the emotional impact of the original.
    Last edited by EverKing; 03-09-2020, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Interestingly, a few weeks back I was given a copy of Colin Trevorrow's first draft of what was going to be Episode IX (tentatively titled "The Duel of the Fates"). In that, he built off of The Last Jedi rather well in such a way as the make the breaks with tradition in the latter blend into the overall story which giving what, in my opinion, would have been a more fulfilling conclusion to the overall "Skywalker Saga" and the individual character arcs of the sequel trilogy. If you have not yet found a copy of it and are interested, let me know and I'll see if I can get it over to you.
    A veritable two-legged Star Wars Encyclopedia at the local gamestore told me "the original" script ended with a scene decades in the future with C3P0 telling the children of the future a tale that begins: "A long time ago in a galaxy far away..." Is that the Treverrow manuscript?

I never saw Canto Bight as a positive arc for Poe. In fact, it works very much the opposite--instead of working with the team in the form of Adm. Holdo, etc. he completely undermines the authority and unity of the Resistance by taking charge of an unauthorized and reckless mission.
    Yeah, agreed. But I thought the "negative arc" was kind of the point. Poe's mistakes open his eyes to the fact he's a loose cannon. Plus there's an echo of things going wrong somewhat like they did in Empire Strikes back.

I am sure the SW theorists, comics, and books explain this away in some way. Droids have programming preventing it, etc. Still, I don't disagree with you from an in-universe consistency perspective. From a visual perspective though, it was an incredible moment.
    Totally with you here as well.

But there's a but. Basically, because whenever they show me two or more Star Destroyers in close formation I think "that looks cool but even 20th century navies (even tank formations) knew to disperse their forces, especially in combat situations."

It's another case of choosing visual impact over other considerations. Which is fine, but it's still a dumb behaviour which is entirely due to cinematic concerns and has no justification in the narrative. Now, if it only went as far as that, it'd not even be worth a shrug. But Both Rogue One and The Last Jedi have shown the Rebels taking advantage of this stupid behaviour and, for myself, that boots me right out of the story I'm supposed to be watching.

Admittedly, this is my idiosyncratic take.

Hyperdrive Kamikazes, though. If one X-Wing or Tie Fighter can ram and take out, or seriously damage, a big enemy ship, I think it introduces a lot of problems for the Star Wars universe. It also boggles the mind that it's never come up before.

Return of the Jedi at least knew where it was going in the end. The Disney Trilogy did not. If they had only taken an extra year or two to provide even a rough outline of the entire story, beginning to end, for the writers and directors to build around I think it could have been much better.
    True that. But it's also where Lucas chose to let merchandising concerns drive some his film decisions. Where Boba Fett, after a couple years of hype, went out with a goofy whimper not a bang. Where the Stormtroopers were defeated by a bunch of stone age teddy bears. And I'm sure there are other nits to pick.

Really, much as it will always hold a special place for me, I think every episode since Star Wars (AKA episode IV) has shown signs of cash grabbiness and poor narrative connection.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 03-09-2020, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    I thought it was going to lead somewhere interesting in the next installment.
    Interestingly, a few weeks back I was given a copy of Colin Trevorrow's first draft of what was going to be Episode IX (tentatively titled "The Duel of the Fates"). In that, he built off of The Last Jedi rather well in such a way as the make the breaks with tradition in the latter blend into the overall story which giving what, in my opinion, would have been a more fulfilling conclusion to the overall "Skywalker Saga" and the individual character arcs of the sequel trilogy. If you have not yet found a copy of it and are interested, let me know and I'll see if I can get it over to you.

On the other hand, I thought Canto Bight was an attempt at character development for Poe as he learned to be more of a team player. Unfortunately, though I'm pretty certain that was the intention, the rest of the narrative failed to support it, and in many ways undermined it.
    I never saw Canto Bight as a positive arc for Poe. In fact, it works very much the opposite--instead of working with the team in the form of Adm. Holdo, etc. he completely undermines the authority and unity of the Resistance by taking charge of an unauthorized and reckless mission. I always got the impression that Canto Bight was written into the story just to give Finn something to do in the movie and maybe to give him a little perspective on what the Resistance is really about rather than just running along just for self-preservation. Still, it was a jarring sequence in many ways that doesn't carry much weight or purpose in the scheme of the Saga we were given. That said, it does have better payoff in Trevorrow's original script in that he brings the ideas of the War Profiteers more completely into the themes of the story.

What I did think was pointless was Admiral Holdo's Kamikaze Maneuver. They've got faster than light travel and sentient droids, but they can't remotely pilot a ship or find some broken down droid at the tail end of its life-cycle to do the deed? Worse, I think the implications of hyperdrive ramming are dire. I suppose that's why they acted like it never happened in Rise of Skywalker.
    I am sure the SW theorists, comics, and books explain this away in some way. Droids have programming preventing it, etc. Still, I don't disagree with you from an in-universe consistency perspective. From a visual perspective though, it was an incredible moment. Even from a story telling perspective it built on the themes of sacrifice for the greater good found in of Rogue One (which was the SW film released most recently prior to The Last Jedi) and in the opening battle of The Last Jedi itself (the bomber squadrons, especially Rose's sister)--it built an acceptance in the audience's minds that such sacrifices are now acceptable in the SW universe and that was an important idea to place in order to build the anticipation of Finn's sacrifice later in the film which was promptly subverted by Rose "saving" him. Call it cheap, if you will (and I won't disagree), but it was effective build up for that single moment.

So the latest trilogy was essentially like getting three more Return of the Jedis? That ain't so bad. Like, history has already shown it could have been worse.
    Return of the Jedi at least knew where it was going in the end. The Disney Trilogy did not. If they had only taken an extra year or two to provide even a rough outline of the entire story, beginning to end, for the writers and directors to build around I think it could have been much better.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    ...Of the three--and I may be in the minority with this opinion--I found The Last Jedi to be the most interesting and (with the exception of the pointless Canto Bight sub-plot) the best put together.
    Insofar as it attempted to break out of the simplistic black and white binary built into the heart of the "Star Wars universe", I would agree. I thought it was going to lead somewhere interesting in the next installment. Or maybe I just like obvious hairy mound metaphors...

On the other hand, I thought Canto Bight was an attempt at character development for Poe as he learned to be more of a team player. Unfortunately, though I'm pretty certain that was the intention, the rest of the narrative failed to support it, and in many ways undermined it.

What I did think was pointless was Admiral Holdo's Kamikaze Maneuver. They've got faster than light travel and sentient droids, but they can't remotely pilot a ship or find some broken down droid at the tail end of its life-cycle to do the deed? Worse, I think the implications of hyperdrive ramming are dire. I suppose that's why they acted like it never happened in Rise of Skywalker.

I have mixed feelings about the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). It is very uneven, poorly paced, and poorly connected. It comes off as exactly what it was: a hurried cash grab by Disney to garner fresh interest in the franchise after they dropped $4B+ USD on the property.
    So the latest trilogy was essentially like getting three more Return of the Jedis? That ain't so bad. Like, history has already shown it could have been worse.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    I have mixed feelings about the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). It is very uneven, poorly paced, and poorly connected. It comes off as exactly what it was: a hurried cash grab by Disney to garner fresh interest in the franchise after they dropped $4B+ USD on the property. Of the three--and I may be in the minority with this opinion--I found The Last Jedi to be the most interesting and (with the exception of the pointless Canto Bight sub-plot) the best put together. The Force Awakens I thought hit all the right emotional notes, or rather nostalgic notes, for what it was but thought it was needless rehash that relied too heavily on that nostalgia for its success. The Rise of Skywalker was just one big hot mess that could have been completely avoided by pausing for a year of extra development so it could better unify the themes and threads of the eight previous (ten counting the anthology films of Rogue One and Solo) films.

I agree that right now Star Wars is best served in the serials of the small screen--not surprising when you consider it is still, ultimately, a Space Opera Fantasy inspired by the classic serial of the silver age and earlier. Both animated series have been great and I am anxious for more Clone Wars. Mandalorian proved, as far as I am concerned, that SW belongs in that format and as interesting as I think the Casian Andor (Rogue One) series may be, it is the Obi Wan series that has me most excited if for no other reason that to see Ewan McGregor reprise the role.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Yeah, the Disney+ TV Series is well liked by many.

I think there is cool stuff ahead.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Well, the last three films were absolutely bad IMO. I will completely ignore them in the future.
    The series and animated series that were made under Disney are great though.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Star Wars is still going strong.

I'm looking forward to the Rogue One TV Series and the Kenobi TV Series.

New Clone Wars episodes are just around the corner.

I'd like to see another new trilogy when they make it.

And I'm excited for Season 2 of The Mandalorian!

Leave a comment:

• milkthing
    replied
    I noticed that it had a droid body a little later, for a bit I thought it might be a cyborg sandman.

I wonder if there is some meaning between the red blue color split on the poster. Is it to imply that there is some kind of balance, stand off between the dark and light side?
    Last edited by milkthing; 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by milkthing View Post
    my death star in the trailer observation might not be that off, look at the thing in the right hand corner of the movie poster:

wouldn't it be funny if Luke doesn't show up until the end of the thing, or only briefly. He isn't in the trailer and he isn't in the poster. I don't know if that's a sandman in the center of the thing or not.....?
    I think it is C3PO. I do understand why the image blur looks like a Tusken Raider (Sandpeople). It's an odd out-of-focus bit.

It looks like there is a cool new alien to the left of R2D2.

Not a Death Star, I think.

I read some rumors and possible spoilers, but I don't know which of those are true. I don't want to ruin it, so I won't repeat them here. I'm avoiding every other spoilers.

Leave a comment:

• milkthing
    replied
    my death star in the trailer observation might not be that off, look at the thing in the right hand corner of the movie poster:

wouldn't it be funny if Luke doesn't show up until the end of the thing, or only briefly. He isn't in the trailer and he isn't in the poster. I don't know if that's a sandman in the center of the thing or not.....?
    Last edited by milkthing; 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• milkthing
    replied
    I've finally decided that the new Red lightsabers are a good thing. The reason I say this is that the bad guys aren't Sith lords... their Knights of Corn. Having a different saber reinforces that their different. I have to wonder if they can even approach the power levels we've seen in the Darths.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X