Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Luke? I know he is in the movie, but no sign in the trailer. Maybe he is the one who places a hand on R2 in the one scene? Will the movie follow some of the darker storylines for Luke? I really don't want answers to these questions. My mind is starting to seethe in anticipation already.
    I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

• I think its Luke in that scene. It seems like the original droids will play a minor role in the movie. Most of the droid action has been on BB8. Did you notice that BB-8 is the droid in the xwing instead of an R2 unit????!

I just had a weird thought, what if the metal hand guy touching R2 is in fact C3P0 dressed up???
      Last edited by milkthing; 10-24-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• at about the 1:54 mark where the X-wing blasts the stormtrooper. What's everyone think of that? I didn't think it seemed right, as in the blast should have done more damage. But if you look at the stormtroopers chest plate it exhibits quite a bit of damage.

Also, the ship flying at the beginning of the clip in the desert at about the :25 mark... I think its the landspeeder from the original movie. It seems to have that shape and it might have someone in the drivers seat(LUke???)

Comment

• But, does the plot hang together? Is it believable?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
            But, does the plot hang together? Is it believable?
            I'd say that it will hold up. The plot needs to smoothly connect to two more sequels. In advance, yes, I want to think it's well written and film edited correctly for full effect.

I don't think it will stray or go way out there where plot points break apart.

It should be good!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• With Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and (hopefully), Mark Hamill, on board, I'm a bit more optimistic about this one than the last three. With their Jar Jar Binks and their interminable tosh about, 'trade delegations.'

Comment

• I've finally decided that the new Red lightsabers are a good thing. The reason I say this is that the bad guys aren't Sith lords... their Knights of Corn. Having a different saber reinforces that their different. I have to wonder if they can even approach the power levels we've seen in the Darths.

Comment

• my death star in the trailer observation might not be that off, look at the thing in the right hand corner of the movie poster:

wouldn't it be funny if Luke doesn't show up until the end of the thing, or only briefly. He isn't in the trailer and he isn't in the poster. I don't know if that's a sandman in the center of the thing or not.....?
                  Last edited by milkthing; 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milkthing View Post
                    my death star in the trailer observation might not be that off, look at the thing in the right hand corner of the movie poster:

wouldn't it be funny if Luke doesn't show up until the end of the thing, or only briefly. He isn't in the trailer and he isn't in the poster. I don't know if that's a sandman in the center of the thing or not.....?
                    I think it is C3PO. I do understand why the image blur looks like a Tusken Raider (Sandpeople). It's an odd out-of-focus bit.

It looks like there is a cool new alien to the left of R2D2.

Not a Death Star, I think.

I read some rumors and possible spoilers, but I don't know which of those are true. I don't want to ruin it, so I won't repeat them here. I'm avoiding every other spoilers.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I noticed that it had a droid body a little later, for a bit I thought it might be a cyborg sandman.

I wonder if there is some meaning between the red blue color split on the poster. Is it to imply that there is some kind of balance, stand off between the dark and light side?
                      Last edited by milkthing; 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Star Wars is still going strong.

I'm looking forward to the Rogue One TV Series and the Kenobi TV Series.

New Clone Wars episodes are just around the corner.

I'd like to see another new trilogy when they make it.

And I'm excited for Season 2 of The Mandalorian!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Well, the last three films were absolutely bad IMO. I will completely ignore them in the future.
                          The series and animated series that were made under Disney are great though.
                          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Yeah, the Disney+ TV Series is well liked by many.

I think there is cool stuff ahead.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I have mixed feelings about the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). It is very uneven, poorly paced, and poorly connected. It comes off as exactly what it was: a hurried cash grab by Disney to garner fresh interest in the franchise after they dropped $4B+ USD on the property. Of the three--and I may be in the minority with this opinion--I found The Last Jedi to be the most interesting and (with the exception of the pointless Canto Bight sub-plot) the best put together. The Force Awakens I thought hit all the right emotional notes, or rather nostalgic notes, for what it was but thought it was needless rehash that relied too heavily on that nostalgia for its success. The Rise of Skywalker was just one big hot mess that could have been completely avoided by pausing for a year of extra development so it could better unify the themes and threads of the eight previous (ten counting the anthology films of Rogue One and Solo) films.

I agree that right now Star Wars is best served in the serials of the small screen--not surprising when you consider it is still, ultimately, a Space Opera Fantasy inspired by the classic serial of the silver age and earlier. Both animated series have been great and I am anxious for more Clone Wars. Mandalorian proved, as far as I am concerned, that SW belongs in that format and as interesting as I think the Casian Andor (Rogue One) series may be, it is the Obi Wan series that has me most excited if for no other reason that to see Ewan McGregor reprise the role.
                              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Originally posted by EverKing View Post
                                ...Of the three--and I may be in the minority with this opinion--I found The Last Jedi to be the most interesting and (with the exception of the pointless Canto Bight sub-plot) the best put together.
                                Insofar as it attempted to break out of the simplistic black and white binary built into the heart of the "Star Wars universe", I would agree. I thought it was going to lead somewhere interesting in the next installment. Or maybe I just like obvious hairy mound metaphors...

On the other hand, I thought Canto Bight was an attempt at character development for Poe as he learned to be more of a team player. Unfortunately, though I'm pretty certain that was the intention, the rest of the narrative failed to support it, and in many ways undermined it.

What I did think was pointless was Admiral Holdo's Kamikaze Maneuver. They've got faster than light travel and sentient droids, but they can't remotely pilot a ship or find some broken down droid at the tail end of its life-cycle to do the deed? Worse, I think the implications of hyperdrive ramming are dire. I suppose that's why they acted like it never happened in Rise of Skywalker.

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
                                I have mixed feelings about the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). It is very uneven, poorly paced, and poorly connected. It comes off as exactly what it was: a hurried cash grab by Disney to garner fresh interest in the franchise after they dropped $4B+ USD on the property.
                                So the latest trilogy was essentially like getting three more Return of the Jedis? That ain't so bad. Like, history has already shown it could have been worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X