Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I made a Hollywood blockbuster, my characters would have a detailed hierarchy structure that is more clearly defined.

For example:

Step 1 would be Novice

Step 2 would be Student

Then the student can branch off in four directions:

A)
    Worker
    Surveyor
    Crafts-Maker
    Architect

or

B)
    Watcher
    Line-Warrior
    Soldier
    Knight
    Knight-Prime
    Knight-Commander
    Knight-General
    Knight-Overlord
    Master of
    Knights

or

C)
    Scribe
    Scholar
    Keeper of Secrets and Lore
    Lord of Wisdom

D)
    Cleric
    Medicine-Guardian
    Healer-Expert
    Arch-Weaver

From low to high after complete training in steps one and two.

Then they are bestowed with each title per level as the person advances through the ranks.

For "B" category, the militarized branch,
    the Master of Knights has control of all the branch services.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Mark Hamill looks awesome with a beard!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Liam cutting through the blast doors was a nod to Forbidden Planet I thought.

I hope that the next Star Wars has something new, perhaps new Jedi powers a la X-Men?

Comment

• Hollywood studios lack 'imagination' says Star Wars creator George Lucas
          George Lucas has criticised the major Hollywood film studios, saying they lack "talent" and "imagination" and have been overrun by corporations.

His criticisms might be valid, given that we can soon look forward to Captain America 5: Age of Iron Man v Guardians of Future Past hitting cinemas, if a little hard to swallow from the man who repeatedly re-trod Star Wars, arguably added characters based on merchandising options and eventually sold the franchise to Walt Disney Studios two years ago.

"The problem has always been the studios," Lucas told Charlie Rose on CBS This Morning.

"Although the beginning of the studios, the entrepreneurs who ran the studios were sort of creative guys. They would just take books and turn them into movies and do things like that.

"Suddenly all these corporations were coming in. They didn't know anything about the movie business.

"The studios went back to saying, 'Well we don't trust you people and we think we know how to make movies'," Lucas continued. "The studios change everything all the time. And, unfortunately, they don't have any imagination and they don't have any talent."

In spite of the fairly bleak situation American cinema finds itself in, Lucas did acknowledge that a small amount of talent is still fostered by the studio system, but made it clear he thinks this is now by far in the minority
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I watched the trailer for George Lucas' new animated movie.

I guess that is the sort of thing that he announced he was going to get into now.

I suppose his new stuff will somewhat have more of an original edge to it.

Red Letter Media certainly made fun of all the re-boots and sequels in 2015.

What they did to The Force Awakens Trailer is pretty funny, but I am in to crude funny on occasion.

Star Wars The Force Awakens, the nitpicking continues, I hate to say myself included, I suppose I will have an eternal struggle for Star Wars love and the things that I feel are out of place in Star Wars.

Well, I try to take a mild approach. Most of my complaints are more about the gimmick elements that don't seem necessary to draw my interest in the film. At least until I see the story, ha!,ha!,ha!,ha!,ha!

It's almost part of the charm at this point to tear into the films.

Stand Alone movies can be walked away from easier, that's the vision of the film and that's it, in a series or sequel, I guess I demand more continuity in the story and regulation in the way the plot, setting, pace, characters and equipment is presented to me.

Because I watch and buy these films and plan to re-watch them for my enjoyment, I usually desire the best product available, even if it's low budget, the film makers can give it there best in all the subtle areas and arenas of film making.

I have to admit, though, that I love all aspects of Star Wars, including fan aspects and comedy aspects concerning fan jokes, points and ideas of Star Wars parts and elements.

I do like of what I have seen of Star Wars Rebels.

Looks great too! Perhaps too cute? Otherwise pretty faithful.

If it's 5 years before The Battle of Yavin, do they plan for Rebels to end in 5 seasons or will it go on? Go on like M.A.S.H. where the early 50's lasted forever, or go on like the characters witnessing the (spoilers)
            of a certain
            then living in the period of those events and beyond.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Update:

It is unknown if Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers, celebration footage, toys, videogames, costumes and propaganda had any brainwashing effect upon my person, but now I'm wholly in! Invested totally into the movie!

The director made Star Wars right!, well right for my tastes!

The writers, cast and crew are awesome, creative and cool!

I'll check back in this thread after December 18th, 2015 to comment on how far, far away my expectations are blown!, regarding Star Wars: Episode VII- The Force Awakens!

I'm waiting for a nice new long trailer and I presently love The Force Awakens!

Yes!, count me in on seeing Star Wars!!!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I sincerely hope that J.J. Abrams doesn't butcher Star Wars like he's butchered Star Trek.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm done with hype for this lifetime.

Comment

• I guess I will be looking for this on Monday!

New Star Wars trailer coming soon.

Last edited by lemec; 10-19-2015, 02:14 AM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I think the new trailer does a better job of making me want to go see the movie. I have a hard time believing that the new dark side guy is going to complete Darth Vaders and the Emperors work. It does look like they have a new nasty weapon that makes a red explosion.... maybe he will be able to do it. Maybe the mask is laughing at the guy in black?

I have to wonder how many classic star wars fans feel they have to go to the new movie?

Did anyone catch that the Falcon was being chased by 2 Tie Fighters this time instead of the one in the previous trailer? That's an improvement, it made the Falcon seem feeble being chased by one little fighter.
                    Last edited by milkthing; 10-19-2015, 08:59 PM. Reason: a couple of more thoughts

Comment

• Let's hunt some orc, I mean Imperial Stormtroopers! Yes!

The new trailer is amazing!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I thought the ending words weren't just for a character but for the audience. "Let the force into your life", its also saying to the audience give the new movie a try, relax it will be good. I have to watch the teaser again but I thought the music was pretty relaxed. Its sad the Han Solo has to tell people that the Empire was real and so was Luke Skywalker. What short memories the people of the galaxy have!

Comment

• Originally posted by milkthing View Post
                          I thought the ending words weren't just for a character but for the audience. "Let the force into your life", its also saying to the audience give the new movie a try, relax it will be good. I have to watch the teaser again but I thought the music was pretty relaxed. Its sad the Han Solo has to tell people that the Empire was real and so was Luke Skywalker. What short memories the people of the galaxy have!
                          Very cool outlook. I love The Force!

"The people of the galaxy" might be only taught about the Rebel military fighting the Empire, leaving everything else to myth. Also, with so many societies and lifestyles, there is probably so much to learn to perform basic functions in interstellar travel and all the rest, that just to live a decent life in the galaxy, they need to skip a lot of history and some non essential material.

Luke didn't know Kenobi was a general, in contrast to on Earth, people generally have heard of Generals Lee, Grant, Jackson, Pershing, Patton, Bradley, Romell etc.

And, on Earth, if person's surname matches a famous warrior, curiosity often sets in, Anakin Skywalker was a famous Jedi Knight, according to "The Revenge of the Sith" novel adaptation, and Luke Skywalker never heard of him, thinking his father was a navigator. He never even came across it from his friends who attend and receive training at the Academy. (where one would think the great pilot techniques of Anakin Skywalker would be taught every semester.)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I'm going to guess they know that there was an Empire. How else would they explain these giant ships everywhere??? That'd be funny if the lady jedi said "What's a Empire?".

The music is something that builds throughout the thing. At one moment it looked like the Falcon blew up! That can't be right...

The new t-fighters look ill, pale wings lacking any blood to them.

Comment

• strange, I was watching it again and noticed in the scene with the floating planet simulation has something that looks like a death star to me. Its one of the smaller orbs and it has a smaller blue disk on it... I think.

Comment

• its my bet that there will be at least 2 major tie fighter/xwing fighter battles in the movie. The reason I say this is simple. In the last trailer there is one battle on a foresty place. Then there is one on an snow planet. 2 places, 2 fights. The snow planet has a big tie fighter swarm, but it doesn't look like its the same size as the one in ROTJ.

Comment

Working...
                                X