Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an interesting download:

http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/?p=1468

It's funny so far.

An alternative audio commentary to Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Enjoy!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I hate to admit this but I have never watched a Star Wars movie all the way through. Snatches of all of them but something always seems to come up and I have to abandon it. Woe is me.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
      Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
      If it weren't for bad luck,
      I'd have no luck at all

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
        I hate to admit this but I have never watched a Star Wars movie all the way through. Snatches of all of them but something always seems to come up and I have to abandon it. Woe is me.

I'd have no luck at all
        On, September 12th, you might want to get the original version of the Trilogy and watch them as they should be

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Ooooh! I got my original version of the Star Wars Trilogy!

The pacing of the film,the sound,the music and everything else seems much better than the Special Edition ones!

Ahh, to see them in widescreen again! my vhs were full screen.

I just finished A New Hope, Han shot Greedo! The way he was supposed to, no missing shot by Greedo.

I am so excited about having them on dvd. Later, I'll check out the other two movies and I'm sure I'll enjoy them alot more than the 1997 versions.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'd have no luck at all
            Gloom, despair, and agony on me[/quote]
            Wow. I haven't heard that song in close to 20 years. Now I am whistling it at work. It will probably be running through my head tonight when I am trying to get to sleep. Hee-Haw was a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
              Ooooh! I got my original version of the Star Wars Trilogy!
              My copy of Star Wars (1977) is on order; hopefully I'll have it sometime next week. (Online store is out of stock at the moment. Grrr.)

Still, I still have my original Widescreen VHS to watch if I want.

The pacing of the film,the sound,the music and everything else seems much better than the Special Edition ones!
              Is that the 1997 SE or the 2004 editions you're comparing it to? I remember when I last saw the original SW in the cinema (circa. 1993) I thought the pacing was incredibly slow compared to (then) modern movies. For instance, have you ever noticed that you don't learn Luke's surname until the moment he opens Leia's prision cell aboard the Death Star? That's about an hour into the film. Of course, we all knew Luke's name before we saw the film. Ha ha! :lol:

Ahh, to see them in widescreen again! my vhs were full screen.
              Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I just finished A New Hope, Han shot Greedo! The way he was supposed to, no missing shot by Greedo.
              In your face Lucas!

I am so excited about having them on dvd. Later, I'll check out the other two movies and I'm sure I'll enjoy them alot more than the 1997 versions.
              For some reason I'm only interested atm in getting the original SW dvd. I'm more than happy with the 2004 versions of ESB & RotJ, but then I never had a high opinion of the sequels in the first place.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                My copy of Star Wars (1977) is on order; hopefully I'll have it sometime next week. (Online store is out of stock at the moment. Grrr.)

Still, I still have my original Widescreen VHS to watch if I want.
                Yeah, that can be a long wait. I feel like I've been waiting since 1998, that is when I got my first dvd player.

Please check online for a box set that comes with a Graphic Novel of A New Hope, mine came with one, by Dark Horse. It's a nice thick book,Limited Edition,of course. The disc has a better picture on than the previously released Star Wars. (That is, if you are interewsted in the GN, it was the same price here.)

Is that the 1997 SE or the 2004 editions you're comparing it to? I remember when I last saw the original SW in the cinema (circa. 1993) I thought the pacing was incredibly slow compared to (then) modern movies. For instance, have you ever noticed that you don't learn Luke's surname until the moment he opens Leia's prision cell aboard the Death Star? That's about an hour into the film. Of course, we all knew Luke's name before we saw the film. Ha ha! :lol:
                Very true about the pacing. Also, it seems like the movie ends really quick as soon as they escape from the Death Star, a quick space battle wih the Falcon, quick scene with the plans and the final fight. Interesting for what is known as a space movie, the character interaction is mostly shown indoors or on a planet. (now that I think about it.) -What was nice about "Empire", all the characters had already been established.) Good that Lucas allowed a little time to pass (in the movie world) between films, so he did not have to have alot of character small talk, like, "say Luke, what did you do for fun on Tatooine?" haha. Anyway, that pacing would not fly now, but for '77, it worked, there are some of those great 70's films that slowly get you absorbed in the story.

Actually the 1997 Version was better than the 2004 version, as Lucas felt the need to change them all, one more time before allowing the fans to see them on dvd.

Have you seen 2004 "Jedi"? There is something in there that kinda bug me.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
                Excuse behind that one, was that,when lucas put them out for "One Last Time," I did not even know they had them in widescreen, because the stores in my area got the fullscreen in first. Then, I forgot about it. I was,before that time though, collecting the early widescreen versions of other movies,as it was the dawn of widscreen. -or at least when they were becoming more known. I remember,The Color Purple was the first movie that I noticed was put on in widescreen, I think that they did not even make it in full at the time. The Hunt for Red October was one of the first movies that I got, that had surround sound. ahh-memory lane-two blocks down,then make a right. hahaha!

In your face Lucas!
                Ya! That will teach him! Maybe now, the television series will be more like the 1977 version,and be good for adults as well as children. I wonder if he ever thought there would be such a fan backlash to the prequels and altered version? I am surprised that he was surprised over the reaction. hehe.

For some reason I'm only interested atm in getting the original SW dvd. I'm more than happy with the 2004 versions of ESB & RotJ, but then I never had a high opinion of the sequels in the first place.
                I can undersand that. I always really liked "Empire" though.

Hoth and Boba Fett are two things that really made me like that one!

oh, I guess you have seen those version then.

so, here is my 2004 "Jedi" spoiler.

In anticipation of the movies coming to dvd, I played some Star Wars: Battlefront II, it turned out to be a really fun game! I got to play in space and most of the planets from the films. I was able to select some of the main characters as well. It was just good all around, space flight is tough though! haha. I liked all the vehicles in it that the player can use.

My odd observations and complaints, about the Galaxy Far Far Away, aside, I am very happy with Star Wars at the moment!

Thanks!

-Lemec

P.S. Ever watch two versions at the same time and compare them?

I played Star Wars in my vcr when the 2004 version came out, then the dvd was played in my computer,I set the tv by the monitor,haha.

An interesting effect. It was scene by scene for a little while, then the pacing got all out of whack.
                Last edited by lemec; 09-12-2006, 03:03 PM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm not going to buy that new DVD set - after Lucarse decided to release them all in non-anamorphic widescreen and 2 channel stereo.
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Oh what could have been...

The OT were very magical and great to watch but the prequels were nigh unwatchable imho. Cardboard characters, terrible plotlines, horrid acting and lines. Sure, some of that can be found in the OT but at least it had a soul and vulnerability that carried the viewer through to the end. These latest installments just seemed an excuse to sell as many toys as they possible could. All Luca$h had to do was find some really good writers and just stick to producing himself. He only had two decades to come up with some salient ideas that could have really meant something to fans. About half way through each movie I found my self not caring. Almost walking out. One viewer in front of me had a hearty nap, snoring and all, probably hypnotized into unconsciousness by the flurry of sfx and droll one liners. sigh* Really too bad.

Comment

Ya! That will teach him!
                      You're kidding! Lucas is laughing all the way to the bank. How many versions has he released? How many have you bought? Just when you think he couldn't squeeze any more out of the franchise, he deigns to release uncleaned up 'limited edition' DVDs of the originals and people snap them up.

Anyway, he obviously hasn't changed his mind about the newer versions, because the rumour is that a new 'definitive' box set of all six films is due out on Blu-Ray next year for the thirtieth anniversary. More cash for George - Hoorah!!!

Personally, the release I'm really excited about is Lego Star Wars II on the PS2, but my copy hasn't arrived yet

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                        How many have you bought?
                        One VHS tape of Star Wars, circa 1990(?), one set of DVDs which were too cheap to pass up (£16.99 for the 2004 boxset).

The dvd I've got on order is the proceeds of finally registering my Nectar card after 4 years, so that one's free which means when Lucas eventually decides to release a fully remastered, cleaned-up and anamorphic Blu-Ray edition of Star Wars '77 I'll be able to buy it with a clear conscience.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

You're kidding! Lucas is laughing all the way to the bank. How many versions has he released? How many have you bought? Just when you think he couldn't squeeze any more out of the franchise, he deigns to release uncleaned up 'limited edition' DVDs of the originals and people snap them up.

Anyway, he obviously hasn't changed his mind about the newer versions, because the rumour is that a new 'definitive' box set of all six films is due out on Blu-Ray next year for the thirtieth anniversary. More cash for George - Hoorah!!!

Personally, the release I'm really excited about is Lego Star Wars II on the PS2, but my copy hasn't arrived yet
                          Ya, that is why it is such a shame that Lucas did not give something better ,than the prequels, back to the fans.

I guess that is why George did not have to make anything else besides his contribution to Indiana Jones and Willow. He must have used his Howard the Duck powers to make Episodes 1-3. haha.

How many? alot!

I got the original VHS Full Screen releases.

I got the 1995 VHS Full Screen.

I skipped all Laser Disc thank goodness. No Laser Disc Player.

I got the 1997 Full Screen and Widescreen VHS Box Sets.

I got the 2002 Trilogy Set, because it had that Episode 2 Preview on.

(I guess I was a sucker for buying that one.)

I got the 2004 DVD Set with Bonus Disc. -with Episode 3 Preview.

I skipped the Trilogy Release without the bonus disc.

I now purchased the 2006 Liited Time Only versions of all 3 movies.

-with the Bonus Graphic Novel.

Plus I bought 10 Episode One theater tickets, thinking it would be so good, more of my friends would get together and see it. -and to have a couple back-ups if any were lost.

Multiply that by the millions of other people who bought the same stuff,Lucas is rolling in the dough.

Lego Star Wars II was advertised on these dvds, it looks like alot of fun!

I never played the first one.

The Episode 3 PS2 game was kinda fun.

As far as the toys go, the market is so flooded now, that I wonder if there will ever be a time where they will be worth collectable prices.

-and,now that the movies are complete, they are still making new toys all the time. I noticed that the stuff is pretty cheap on e-bay and alot of it is what you pay for it in the store.

so lucas gets all of that money and the fans don't have anything worth selling.

I did notice that my Transformers Megatron can sell for a couple hundred bucks though! haha. I think I collected the wrong toys.

A Megatron from the 80's in the box made for Japan was selling for $8,000, or at least they tried to sell it for that.

If only my 1979 Boba Fett was worth that much!

P.S. Oh, I have no idea what I'll do about Blue-Ray and the Blue-Ray Star Wars, I guess PS3 will have a Blue-Ray player though, but I doubt I'll get one,maybe three years from now.

Maybe I'll wait for a Holographic and Interactive Star Wars version! haha!
                          Last edited by lemec; 09-13-2006, 07:45 AM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Lego Star Wars II was advertised on these dvds, it looks like alot of fun!
                            It is absolutely brilliant. Apparently the first one is quite good as well, but I didn't get that because it is based on three horrible films. However, the chance to play the proper trilogy as a bunch of Lego toys should not be passed up by anybody with even a casual interest in Star Wars - The blasters, the lightsabres, the naked stormtroopers, the hat machines!

Not only is it very funny, but it is incredibly accurate. We've just had to sit through the DVD of Star Wars so that we could work out how to rescue Princess Leia from the Death Star.

Comment

It is absolutely brilliant. Apparently the first one is quite good as well, but I didn't get that because it is based on three horrible films. However, the chance to play the proper trilogy as a bunch of Lego toys should not be passed up by anybody with even a casual interest in Star Wars - The blasters, the lightsabres, the naked stormtroopers, the hat machines!

Not only is it very funny, but it is incredibly accurate. We've just had to sit through the DVD of Star Wars so that we could work out how to rescue Princess Leia from the Death Star.

Sweet! Thanks,John.

I really should go pick that up. Excellent description!

-Lem'

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I could look this up, but something tells me that there are more than a couple of people hanging out here who would be only too happy to show off their Star Wars geek credentials:

I've got a quiz sheet set by our local library and one of the questions is 'Which Star Wars character's name is thought to be derived from the Sanskrit word for "warrior" and/or the Hebrew word for "one who knows"?'

My money is on the little green fella from Dagobah, but I thought I'd just check with the experts.

Comment

Working...
                                X