Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Mosley
    Would you possibly care to expand upon this statement?
    What I meant was that his work as writer, and director of the first one, was merely part of what made Star Wars, and of what made it a success.
    For instance, what if Ford hadn't played Han? What if Ralph McQuarrie hadn't done the concept design? What if Ben Burtt hadn't done the sound effects? What if John Williams hadn't done the score?
    And those are just some of the bigger names. Especially in those days, before CGI could produce anything to order, the model builders, costume designers and so on had a large hand in what we got to see on screen.

Comment

Ah ok, I see what you mean.

Of course, you've just described practically every film ever made since 1895. I guess you don't subscribe to the 'Auteur' theory then? I mean, regardless of the work of his collaborators, without Lucas' vision there wouldn't have been a Star Wars, would there?

[And I say that as someone who can happily ignore any SW film made after 1977. ]
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Oh, those are all good points.

I do believe in what David Mosley said about "vision."

I agree, because it's the writers who make the story, characters and setting.

Those are the main elements, but I do give credit to all who worked on the films.

Otherwise, if say in LOTRs, they did not have Tolkien's vision, Peter Jackson's movies, even with all the great props,special effects etc, could have just turned out to be another Xena type movie. (not that there is anything wrong with Xena, but it probably would not have made 300 million per film, and the main point is that anything else would have been alot different. (I think.)

Anyway, a movie that had robots that were the closest things to "droids", was the 1972 film,-Silent Running.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

It did make me wonder if George Lucas ever saw that movie and maybe was influenced by it, but I never saw it mentioned anywhere.

I guess he was more into the Flash Gordon type serials.

(like the Star Wars documentaries say,haha.)

Edit- P.S. Ya, Jar Jar was the worst new character. He did not really serve a purpose that could not be served by a much cooler character.

I think alot of Original Trilogy fans were disappointed and claimed Lucas did not have the fans in mind when he made the prequels. Sure, there were a few links, but it was too drastic of a change in the Star Wars Universe for some fans.
        Last edited by lemec; 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
          It did make me wonder if George Lucas ever saw that movie and maybe was influenced by it, but I never saw it mentioned anywhere.
          Peter Kraus and James Dow co-created the 'drones' for SR but didn't work on SW. Don Trumbell was the other drone co-creator and worked in the 'camera & mechanical design: miniature and optical effects unit' for Star Wars.

John Dykstra also did visual effects for both films. In fact, SW was only his second credit after SR, so I think it's fair to say that GL must have been familiar with his work in order to hire him.

But doubtless, Lucas was probably influenced by 2001 as well to some degree.
          Last edited by David Mosley; 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Peter Krause and James Dow created the 'drones' for SR but didn't work on SW. John Dykstra, however, did visual effects for both films. (In fact, SW was only his second credit after SR, so I think it's fair to say that GL must have been familiar with his work in order to hire him.)

Ahh, very cool! I did not know that.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Lem' note I've edited my original post with more data.

Comment

Lem' note I've edited my original post with more data.

ahhh,yes! that's true.

Thanks for the extra information.

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Laurel and Hardy might have influenced the characterisation of R2 and C3P0? Fritz Langs Metropolis? Robbie from Forbidden Planet?

Comment

Of course, you've just described practically every film ever made since 1895. I guess you don't subscribe to the 'Auteur' theory then? I mean, regardless of the work of his collaborators, without Lucas' vision there wouldn't have been a Star Wars, would there?
                    True, all films are collaborative projects, although of course directors dominate them to varying degrees.
                    A vision may be the essential starting point, but visions are a dime a dozen. I think it's the process of turning vision into reality that determines the nature of the finished project.
                    We can't be sure how closely Lucas managed to make the movies follow his vision (whatever it was exactly) or how much other people and factors came to influence the outcome.
                    Even though I estimate Lucas' own influence relatively lowly, I don't mean to suggest he was interchangeable or anything. Just that he alone didn't do it.
                    At any rate, his vision seems to have changed completely since he worked on the original movies, despite his claims to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                      Laurel and Hardy might have influenced the characterisation of R2 and C3P0? Fritz Langs Metropolis? Robbie from Forbidden Planet?

Yep, it seems that many things that a person enjoys gets included up to a point in their own creations.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowheart
                        True, all films are collaborative projects, although of course directors dominate them to varying degrees.
                        A vision may be the essential starting point, but visions are a dime a dozen. I think it's the process of turning vision into reality that determines the nature of the finished project.
                        We can't be sure how closely Lucas managed to make the movies follow his vision (whatever it was exactly) or how much other people and factors came to influence the outcome.
                        Even though I estimate Lucas' own influence relatively lowly, I don't mean to suggest he was interchangeable or anything. Just that he alone didn't do it.
                        At any rate, his vision seems to have changed completely since he worked on the original movies, despite his claims to the contrary.

yes, vision does change with the practical aspects of the reality of what can be made on film.

we almost had a green Han Solo with gills after all. haha

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

The true origin of the saga.

Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Those are great, Mespheber!

I love the little "X-Wing" icon too.

Those Stormtroopers must have had some fun parties,haha.

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks dude.

About smileys, be my guest.
                              Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Originally posted by Mespheber
                                Thanks dude.

About smileys, be my guest.

ooh! thank ye!

That smiley "Tie-Fighter" is out of this world! That's really funny.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                                X