Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Universe discussion thread

Hello, I notice that the Star Wars movies get talked about alot here, so I thought I would start a new thread. :)

Please use this place to tell us of your praises and criticisms.

(A general discussion)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

I will begin by saying that, after careful consideration, I have decided which battle/comabt that I enjoy most from the three Star Wars prequels.

I like the the duel between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi the best.

(and the fight that included Qui-Gon before it got to the end part)

Although, the Ob-Wan duel with Anikan is very good and very cool, the struggle in Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was done with many maneuvers ar greater speeds.

It was incredible. I don't think the scene changes as many times either,so the actors had to film longer sequence with more moved, and it was all more realistic and possible in real life,since neither of them flew and jumped around by use of The Force. (just a little maybe, not like in Revenge of the Sith)

Ewan McGregor and Ray Park were at the height of their skills and "at the top of their game."

I think I would have liked the other duel, aforementioned, better if they stayed put a little longer before jumping on platforms and if Anikan somehow had a red lightsaber! -instead of blue, (say if he became Vader sooner, constructed a new laser sword, but still before the armour, the old blue one could still have been given to Luke later, if for instance Obi-Wan would have found it discarded at the Jedi Temple, that would have been better evidence too,with a "Force Aura" on the handle that Anikan had been there and did the killing instead of showing holograms.) The Anikan/Darth Vader could have had the red blade and everything would have been that much better!

in my humble opinion.

thanks!

-Lemec
    Last edited by lemec; 07-12-2006, 06:17 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The new movies look very nice, but they don't tell a very good story IMO.

In a lot of ways the lightsaber duels were at their most exciting when you had an insight into the characters (as you did with Luke and Darth Vader). I think they abandoned this in prequels simply for popcorn thrills.

Saying that I tread carefully, as there are people out there who will defend the films to death. I got burned a few times on another forum trying to explain why I didn't think it was plausible that the winy teenage Anakin of the prequels would become Darth Vader.

As time passes, I suspect the die-hard fans will be honest with their opinions. After all, I'm getting the same treatment with regards to "Pirates of the Caribbean". I suspect the objections are more rooted in "it's new, its cool" rather than an honest appraisal of its storytelling qualities.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Recent events have shown to me that (apparently) Lucasfilms et al have no idea how to end the saga. They keep building up a new society, then knocking it apart again. This latest revision (the Legacy comic) is probably the most cliched version.

OTOH, I do believe that there's plenty of room for exploration in the pre-movie era. They just need to let go of the idea that everything has to tie into the movies.
        Best/Mario

Comment

Mario,

That's interesting. That "Legacy" comic must be bad.

I agree, they need to let it go, maybe in the new television series they will have characters who are not all tied up with the destiny of the Republic and the Skywalker family,hehe.

devilchicken,

Very good points. When there is a good story and good acting, when you feel the emotions more, the combat does not have to be that intense.

I like alot of old movies where, the fights are not technically good, but you like the characters so much that you get into it anyway.

Please feel free to speak your mind in this thread.

I also have some complaints about the new prequels compared to the original trilogy. As far as story and emotion go, I think, probably, I'd go with Luke vs,Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi, everything has been building up to that moment.

Torment of the kind Vader had to endure can change a person, but if you put the movies all together, Hayden Christensen's Anikan does not really seem to fit. The audience does not see any trace of that personality whereas the youn Obi-Wan Kenobi blends in real well with the older "Ben" Kenobi.

When I was younger, and a long time before the prequals were even thought of being made for sure, I imagined Anakin to be a much different person and character. I thought he would have been slightly older during "The Clone Wars" and I thought he would be more like Alec Guinness in the way he held himself and behaved. (Like a noble quest knight or something similar).

of course, I thought the clones were all going to wear "Mandalorian" armour that more resembled Boba Fett's and painted green,grey,red and yellow like his was,haha.

I did not really like how the Clones became the Stormtroopers.

I thought the Jedi would be fighting the Clones from the beginning.

I did not know that there was going to be so many battle-droids in the war.

When you have the humans and other species fight droids, it takes something out of it, there is no emotion in it. (emotion must be my word of the day,haha)

It just does not feel like watching a war movie. When mortals face other living
          mortals it add complexity.

Besides, did not anyone in the Star Wars Galaxy figure out how to use an electromagnetic pulse to cut the power for awhile on all powered machines and robots?

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
            Mario,

That's interesting. That "Legacy" comic must be bad.
            Bad? That's a subjective position. But I do feel that it retreads old ground.
            Best/Mario

Comment

IMO Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic series has succeeded in making much more imaginative (and better IMO) use of the Star Wars universe.
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
                Bad? That's a subjective position. But I do feel that it retreads old ground.

oh, that's true. I will have to read them some time. I guess they would still be good, but I just won't expect them to have anything new as far as background material goes. wrong choice of words on my part,hehe.

P.S. Old Republic 2 was very cool. I did not try the first one.

I liked how it was all set up.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I like the the duel between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi the best.

(and the fight that included Qui-Gon before it got to the end part)

Although, the Ob-Wan duel with Anikan is very good and very cool, the struggle in Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was done with many maneuvers ar greater speeds.

It was incredible. I don't think the scene changes as many times either,so the actors had to film longer sequence with more moved, and it was all more realistic and possible in real life,since neither of them flew and jumped around by use of The Force. (just a little maybe, not like in Revenge of the Sith)

Ewan McGregor and Ray Park were at the height of their skills and "at the top of their game."
                  This too is my own favourite duel. I reckon it's the presence of Ray Parks that pushes it up a notch as he is an authentic martial artist. He was originally brought in as an advisor for the fight scenes, but they were so impressed with him that they decided to give him the role of Darth Maul. Handling a dual-bladed weapon with such grace is no mean feat.

Qui Gon is my favourite Jedi as he had more faith in the force than the rest of the Jedi put together. Liam Neeson in the role helped a lot though. Great actor. Have you seen Rob Roy? Bring back Qui Gon, that's what I say.

PS If LSN were still here he'd roast me over this one...

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                    In a lot of ways the lightsaber duels were at their most exciting when you had an insight into the characters (as you did with Luke and Darth Vader). I think they abandoned this in prequels simply for popcorn thrills.
                    In general I agree. Rob Roy is good at this since the characters of the two duelists are built up so well all the way through the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                      This too is my own favourite duel. I reckon it's the presence of Ray Parks that pushes it up a notch as he is an authentic martial artist. He was originally brought in as an advisor for the fight scenes, but they were so impressed with him that they decided to give him the role of Darth Maul. Handling a dual-bladed weapon with such grace is no mean feat.

Qui Gon is my favourite Jedi as he had more faith in the force than the rest of the Jedi put together. Liam Neeson in the role helped a lot though. Great actor. Have you seen Rob Roy? Bring back Qui Gon, that's what I say.

PS If LSN were still here he'd roast me over this one...

ya, Ray Parks was in total control of that fight, love the part where he is fighting, then he uses the force to move something accross the room (or open a door) just because he can do it while fighting,haha.

I still like Obi-Wan best since he is level-headed and goes by the book for the most part, he is in the middle Jedi with his skills, he sticks to the basics.

besides, (as muh as I like Qui-Gon) Qui-Gon Gin was the one, after all, who made a mistake in Anikan because he became Vader,haha,well I guess you could say, no Vader no Luke/Leia, but the galaxy might have been better with no Anikan at all, that might be a good debate.

Liam Neeson as an actor, I love him! He was agreat Jedi, liked when he started cutting through the blast doors,hehe.

I always liked Rob Roy since I forst watched it on cassette in 1995 or 1996, i have it on dvd. Fantastic!

I think I'd have gone with the Claymore too instead of the rapier,haha. Plus I would have rapped more cloth around me beneath my shirt. lol then again, I would not be fighting a duel at all. haha That was such a great fight and lots in the movie were great, and realistic, good they showed that you can't always go and have a fair fight with the best swordsman around, like when he finished off that one guy quickly with a back stab.

Very cool tha Rob Roy Was a real guy.

They should make a tv series with Qui-Gon's early days or something and still have Liam play him.

Grey Mouser, LSN is here, right? he came back with the creation of the new PX forum, or is that my error?, haha. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I read some of his threads, er maybe you mean he is nt in the Enclave. Oh I see what you mean , nevermind, I am foolish at times.

anyway, very cool stuff, one more thing to add, Ray Parks should have had a much larger role in X-Men 1 !!! (and maybe given a better character)

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

(as muh as I like Qui-Gon) Qui-Gon Gin was the one, after all, who made a mistake in Anikan because he became Vader,haha,well I guess you could say, no Vader no Luke/Leia, but the galaxy might have been better with no Anikan at all, that might be a good debate.
                        To enter into the illusion of the Star Wars universe I would have to say that Qui Gon had faith that Anakin was the one who would eventually bring balance to the force - and he did when he eventually killed The Emperor as Darth Vader. Thus Qui Gon's faith was fulfilled. Even Yoda lacked that faith. That's just my angle anyway.

Glad to hear Ray Parks is still in the cinema. Who does he play in x-men?
                        Last edited by Grey Mouser; 07-18-2006, 11:34 PM.

Comment

right, I forgot about that part while I wrote that. I guess there had to be alot of bad to endure before good and baance could come about again.

Ray Parks played Toad, in the first X-Men movie. haha.

looks like he will be in some more movies soon.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks Lemec. For some reason I was thinking he was Nightcrawler. Of course, Toad it is!

Comment

I can understand that.

the actor is Alan Cumming who plays Nightcrawler.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001086/

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X