Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Pirates of the Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates of the Caribbean

Some nice CGI work, as expected - lot of bloat in the script...

Says something for the amount of waste in Hollywood when one movie costs as much as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

I saw some trailers from the PCB movie.Is that one character supposed to be CTHULHU or is it just another identity ripp-off? Sorry but I wont be going to see the movie, the Hollywood hype doesnt even fizzle my adrenaline.A remake of Earth Versus The Fying Saucers might get a rile out of me, and of course ELRIC.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
      I saw some trailers from the PCB movie.Is that one character supposed to be CTHULHU or is it just another identity ripp-off? Sorry but I wont be going to see the movie, the Hollywood hype doesnt even fizzle my adrenaline.A remake of Earth Versus The Fying Saucers might get a rile out of me, and of course ELRIC.
      It's supposed to be Davy Jones (of 'Davy Jones' Locker' fame), played by Billy Nighy, with a mock-Scottish accent (according to some commentators, Nighy may have based his characterization on the fictional BBC TV character, Victor Meldrew. But, I don't believe it).

IMO, Johnny Depp is working hard on perfecting his Mockney accent, as Captain Jack Sparrow, because deep down, he wants to play Jerry Cornelius in a big screen version of the Cornelius Chronicles.

Me and my 11 year old son want to go and see it.

Comment

Its just disappointing that they yet again resort to cliche by plundering Joseph Campbell's 'storytelling by numbers'. This is a typical hollywood sequel with 'mythic' pretensions - essentially little different to the Matrix Reloaded IMO. Like that movie they even introduced a "yoda" figure, in the person of the Voodoo priestess - which bears more than passing resemblance to a character from a certain Lucasarts point and click adventure.

That said, the original bears perhaps more of a direct resemblance to The Secret of Monkey Island. SMI features a zombie pirate called LeChuck. Simply renaming him as Captain Barbossa, doesn't escape from the fact that it's still fundamentally the same character.

I was willing to forgive that because the characters in the original POTC were rather endearing, but with the mediocre storytelling on display in the sequel it doesn't really have a lot going for it.

Also the sheer level of excess that's on show here is really quite appalling. This 2 1/2 hr movie cost around $200m. Think about that... for only $75-$100m more Peter Jackson was able to put together a 9+ hour LOTR epic with over a dozen or so principal actors and a whole raft of digital effects.

Flinging money at the screen is fine, but only if you've got something decent to work with to begin with. I wanted a reasonably compelling dramatic story. Contrary to popular belief, that doesn't preclude you from having a 'fun' and 'funny' movie. Set pieces and the action was quite well done - but the first rule of screenwriting (actually any fictional writing) is that if you don't care about the characters then none of it matters.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
          Also the sheer level of excess that's on show here is really quite appalling. This 2 1/2 hr movie cost around $200m. Think about that... for only $75-$100m more Peter Jackson was able to put together a 9+ hour LOTR epic with over a dozen or so principal actors and a whole raft of digital effects.
          Haven't they filmed POTC 2 and POTC 3 back-to-back? Could that $200m figure not be the budget for both films rather than just one? Just wondering.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man Chest, some of the special effects and scene ideas were really good, but I found it mostly tedious, a weak Disney adventure, not much comedy, near 30 minutes before the first laugh, it pretty much lost touch with whatever made the first movie work, Depp wasn't doing the Keith Richards as a drunken pirate schtick this time and it hurt, my two cents.
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
              I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man Chest, some of the special effects and scene ideas were really good, but I found it mostly tedious, a weak Disney adventure, not much comedy, near 30 minutes before the first laugh, it pretty much lost touch with whatever made the first movie work, Depp wasn't doing the Keith Richards as a drunken pirate schtick this time and it hurt, my two cents.

that's strange that he would not stay with that trait, maybe it is becasue Keith was not able to be in the movie.

30 mins, no laugh, maybe they were going for a "Darker" second act. lol

I might go see it next week. I noticed A Scanner Darkly was not playing anywhere near me, I guess POTC2 took all the theaters. haha

I would hate to miss POTC2 though, just in case 3 is awesome,haha.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios

IMO, Johnny Depp is working hard on perfecting his Mockney accent, as Captain Jack Sparrow, because deep down, he wants to play Jerry Cornelius in a big screen version of the Cornelius Chronicles.

Me and my 11 year old son want to go and see it.

me too! who would not want to see that? haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I got the very strong impression that the film-makers were trying very hard to make everything "bigger and better" than the previous film.
                  SPOILER ALERT

This was particularly noticeable in the waterwheel swordfight and the kraken scenes. I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a big sea battle like the one between the Black Pearl and the Interceptor. The Flying Dutchman taking a few pot-shots at the Pearl before the latter promptly high-tails it out of there doesn't count. And the cliff-hanger at the end seemed a rather crude way of getting people back for the next movie, as if the film-makers had insufficent faith in their own talent.

SPOILERS END

I'm still planning on seeing the next one, though. With any luck, it'll bounce back, like the original Star Wars trilogy. One reason for the disappointment, I think, is that there is no way they could recapture the magic of the original, much as happend with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. As good as those films were (I still think RotJ is the best of the lot) they could never have the magic feel of the original movie.

Comment

They got me out to a movie theater again (last time was Bourne Supremacy) to see this. It was entertaining, but I agree it wasn't nearly as cool as the first. No surprise there. CGI is getting better, I will say that.

I really, really wanted to take a shower afterward...
                    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                    -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Originally posted by Madrigal Rose
                      I really, really wanted to take a shower afterward...
                      Is it Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom who has that effect on you?
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I love pirates! Looking forward to PotC2's release here.

Incidently, when the World Cup was on here the last few weeks I put a Jolly Roger - pirate flag out on my car and balcony and cheered whoever happened to shoot a gaol. Caused some comfusion, I tell you folks!
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger

Incidently, when the World Cup was on here the last few weeks I put a Jolly Roger - pirate flag out on my car and balcony and cheered whoever happened to shoot a gaol. Caused some comfusion, I tell you folks!
                          What does a pirate say when he's been head-butted near the end of The World Cup?

aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
                          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                            Is it Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom who has that effect on you?
                            Okay, they are both, er, um cute, I give you that. Now if Gary Oldman had been in it... What is it about that guy!

No, David, actually, it has more to do with the authentic sweaty, greasy, grimy, out-on-a-ship-for-too-long look they achieved among other things. Everyone but Ms Knightley, that is. She doesn't sweat, I guess...
                            But then, you knew what I was referring to, didn't you?
                            -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger

They shoot gaols there! Wow. You are a tough bunch.
                              (Ha! Beat you to it, David!)
                              I haven't gotten the same kick out of football since I watched it in SA. My son watched it on the Spanish station here, but still...
                              -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
                              X