Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Superman Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman Returns

This was slightly disappointing I thought - didn't care for the story all that much, and it was rather slow (plodding).

Problem as I see it (admittedly having only a passing familiarity with Superman) is that the story didn't seem too connect well with the character - which is something Batman Returns did really well IMO.

Brandon Routh, the guy who plays Superman was really good though!
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

That's why I liked Batman Begins. You got a really good sense of the "Begins" part.

With Superman Returns - I got a sense of how they were trying to force Superman to confront his past, but as they never really established why he had disappeared in the first place and what relevance it had for him, it left me rather cold. So for me, the setting of the finale never rose above the obvious - a big rocky island with Kryptonite.

But yes - I thought Brandon Routh was fantastic and a cut above everyone else. For some reason, Kevin Spacey never ceases to irritate me...

Overall this is doubly disappointing, as I would have preferred Bryan Singer to have finished with X-Men before he went on to this. As it was X3 was less than what it could have been.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

It doesn't help that I think Superman is a twit...

I haven't seen it yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
      ...Superman had a lot of confusion about taking a fairly pointless trip to Krypton...
      Well, yeah, since Krypton blew up into a gazillion little pieces, there's not much to go back to...

...except that I heard the writers took a butt-load of liberty with the Superman story and left Krypton in one piece (which pretty much turns most of the classic story of Superman on its ear). This does not surprise me, mind you. I'm also not surprised that the story falls short, since brilliant people like Tim Burton and Kevin Smith couldn't seem to make it work.

That's the cool thing about the Superman character, he has all this power and cannot, and won't, force things to go his way. He's a good role model for everyone, because we have to remember not to use our "power" to become tyrants.
      The same could be said for Spider-Man, a far cooler superhero who has had far cooler movies made about him!

From everything I've read, including your opinions here, I'll be waiting for the DVD.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
        ...except that I heard the writers took a butt-load of liberty with the Superman story and left Krypton in one piece (which pretty much turns most of the classic story of Superman on its ear). This does not surprise me, mind you. I'm also not surprised that the story falls short, since brilliant people like Tim Burton and Kevin Smith couldn't seem to make it work.
        I understand the need to deviate from some mythology, but I hate when they just get silly. Apparently, J.J. Abrhams (sp?) had a crack at this movie as well. He reimagined the entire mythology--Krypton didn't explode, most of Superman's power came from a magic suit, and Lex Luther was also from Krypton. Other than a funny blue suit with an awful red speedo and cape, that doesn't sound like Superman.

Comment

Now I think about it - that wasn't exactly clear in the movie. Krypton does get destroyed in a huge supernova right before the main titles, but when Superman "Returns" he talks about having been visited the planet to "see for himself". Later he mentions that 'astronomers' having located it, which makes his whole trip seem rather pointless - as Adlerian says. The disappearance really does nothing to develop the character.

But seriously, this is worth watching - if only for Brandon Routh's performance. Just don't be surprised that all the "action stuff" is few and far between.

Its good, but Spiderman 2 (and Batman Begins) are far better IMO.

Comment

And Speaking of Weakness...

Was there any Kryptonite in the movie? If so, is it explained?

Comment

Yes - its no different to the original mythology. Its just not satisfactorily explained why he 'disappeared' in order to justify his return. As I said you see Kryton destroyed (utterly) in a massive supernova but you never really discover what Superman was doing in space for 5 years.

Comment

I have not seen the movie either. It sounds like it might be best to wait for the dvd, but If I happen to be near a theater, I might stop in and give it a chance.

I don't remember the comics much, but I have a question.

Was it just in Superman 1 that they said he had powers here because of Earth's Yellow sun?

If Superman goes too far into space, wouldn't his powers fade?

If he ran into Kryptonite,being he went to the destroyed Krypton, would not he become weak and get stuck there?, or maybe die?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

No its made explicitly clear in this that Superman is solar-powered.

He has some sort of spaceship to fly to Krypton.

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                    No its made explicitly clear in this that Superman is solar-powered.

He has some sort of spaceship to fly to Krypton.

ah, ok, thanks! :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The spaceship is presumably the same one he arrived in as a baby, though that too is left unexplained.

All in all though - if you do go to see this expect to see Superman, just don't expect much of a "return"

Comment

No, in the movie Krypton is destroyed.
                        Yeah, Doc enlightened me to the fact that what I was thinking of was a previous script idea which got tossed out.

I'm actually torn. Part of me wants to see it on the big screen now. I'm not a huge fan of Superman, though, so it's a toss-up.

Comment

I'm confused by the comics, the TV and now the movies...
                          I'm even getting confused by Captain Marvel now. Is this a case of people throwing story values out of the window in favour of gimmicks ?
                          I went with some women and even they didn't like the 'chick flick' aspect of the story (sorry Ad).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Yeah, basically. Very few creators think long-term. But I can try to explain any particular problems you might have.

(Except about DC & Magic. Someone else arranged that :) )
                            Last edited by Mario; 07-05-2006, 03:49 PM.
                            Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              I'm confused by the comics, the TV and now the movies...
                              I'm even getting confused by Captain Marvel now. Is this a case of people throwing story values out of the window in favour of gimmicks ?
                              I went with some women and even they didn't like the 'chick flick' aspect of the story (sorry Ad).

ah, so it's not just me that noticed there are way too many 'chick flick's , love stories out there.

pretty bad when women don't even want to see them. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X