Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Logan's Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
    replied
    I have been picking up sci-fi video complilations on DVD at a very low cost. The one set cost me $9.99 and boasts over 13 hours of original uncut movies.
    These are the movies:
    The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues
    THE BRAIN THAT WOULD'NT DIE
    (featuring Jan in the pan)
    Teenagers From Outer Space
    The Phantom Planet
    First Spaceship On venus
    They Came From Beyond Space
    The Atomic Brain
    The Last Woman On Earth (Roger Corman)
    The Giant Gila Monster
    The Amazing Transparent Man

Another set that I picked up has:
    Horrors Of Spider Island
    The Wasp Woman (Roger Corman)
    The Killer Shrews

Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet
    Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

These compilations have a good dollar value and the picture clarity and sound is quite good. I taped The Phantom Of The Paradise and The People Under The Stairs on VHS last week. They are both a couple of classical sci-fi / horror / comedies.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by sturmhalo
    Fahrenheit 451, THX 1138, Soylent Green? Most seem very cheap to buy so I might have to purchase a few and relive the nostalgia.

Fantastic idea!

Outland was in 1981, but for me, it falls in the same category,hehe.

I watched THX 1138 a couple years ago, but did not see the special edition dvd.

I am caught up on my "bring back memories collection" with Soylent Green, Logan's Run, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968 ), Planet of the Apes (1968 ) plus the rest of the "Apes" boxed set. Also, The Omega Man, A Clockwork Orange, then to enter the 80's, I have Blade Runner and even later-They Live.

I love 60's to 80's sci-fi!

Leave a comment:

• sturmhalo
    replied
    Originally posted by lemec
    Ya! I know what you mean! One late night Friday I saw The Omega Man, the next week, it was Zardoz, and I loved all those kinds of movies ever since!

I first watched Logan's Run on a Saturday afternoon on the USA Network, haha.

Fahrenheit 451, THX 1138, Soylent Green? Most seem very cheap to buy so I might have to purchase a few and relive the nostalgia.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger

I never did watch that one. I'll have to give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by sturmhalo
    I notice that a region 2 version of Logan's Run is sadly missing from various online retailers. I can only hope this means that a new edition is in the offing packed full of extras (which no one bothers to watch) and improved picture/sound quality?! It happened with Blade Runner so maybe....

Zardoz reminds me of late nights during my teenage years. All those slightly odd 70's films seemed to be shown late at night on TV and always caught my attention. That heady mix of sci fi, weirdness, and a bit of sex was too alluring. Barbarella anyone?

Ya! I know what you mean! One late night Friday I saw The Omega Man, the next week, it was Zardoz, and I loved all those kinds of movies ever since!

I first watched Logan's Run on a Saturday afternoon on the USA Network, haha.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by lemec
    Logan's Run is a great film!
    So is "Chicken Run" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120630/

Leave a comment:

• sturmhalo
    replied
    I notice that a region 2 version of Logan's Run is sadly missing from various online retailers. I can only hope this means that a new edition is in the offing packed full of extras (which no one bothers to watch) and improved picture/sound quality?! It happened with Blade Runner so maybe....

Zardoz reminds me of late nights during my teenage years. All those slightly odd 70's films seemed to be shown late at night on TV and always caught my attention. That heady mix of sci fi, weirdness, and a bit of sex was too alluring. Barbarella anyone?

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Logan's Run is a great film!

It is more relevant to society now than it ever was. I was thinking the same thing about Zardoz the other day.

Most of society now is focused on their own pleasures.

Leave a comment:

• sturmhalo
    replied
    I love Logan's Run. It always seems to be shown in the UK on bank holidays or seasonal holidays. Great stuff. A little dated at times but a brilliant view of the future. Some pretty good effects for its time too (it won awards I believe). Oh... and did anyone mention Jenny Agutter getting her kit off?!

Leave a comment:

• Idiot_Savant
    replied
    I first saw Logan's Run when I was about 8 and till this day it is among my favorites.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Had the good fortune to meet Michael York at a book signing last year. Nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    you are playing my tune. :)

I love Logan's Run!

about that robot....."...plankton from the sea...."

right up there with Zardoz, they both had isolated societies.

hey, and the old man was living with a bunch of cats! they could not have had a better setting. ;)

I would like to see the Logun's Run tv show, that would be cool. I remember seeing a part of it once.

the scene where Michael York meets Jenny Agguter, hehe, that looks like the next step in the evolution of the internet. Imagaine if we could walk into a chamber and meet in person the people we are talking to online? haha, of course I was thinking of using it for a more intellectual purpose than what Logan 5 was using it for,haha. ;)

I keep hearing the re-make is in the works. :o :D
    Last edited by lemec; 06-28-2006, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Honoured_Matre
    replied
    A film you keep seeing and never gets stale. probably the best film either Michael York or jenny Agguter did!
    My kids like it too, and thats the proof of a good film, when it crosses generations without it dating!

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    When I saw it I was 13 and LR impressed me a lot.
    Then I read the novel: wow!
    Until today it's one of my most favorite SciFi novel of everytime. I like the sequel "Logan's World" too ( other books was not published here, they publish HP ).
    But I loved movie too, there was Jenny Agutter...
    Yes, if you watch now at it is old, out of fashioned, but I've an old affect for him... I'm a sentimental

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Reminds me a little of Soylent Green. Aside from Heston's trademark moralistic rant, it does put forward an interesting idea that a new home should come complete with its own live-in prostitute.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X