Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tarzan's Greatest Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarzan's Greatest Adventure

As a fan of early evening / saturday afternoon matinees on BBC2, I wonder if anyone has seen Tarzan's Greatest Adventure?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053334/

Had Anthony Quinn playing a psychotic hunter, and a young Sean Connery as one of his henchman. Apparently the studio was so impressed by Connery that they had offered him the chance to play Tarzan. This is around the time he was offered James Bond, after which his career really took off.

Featured a scene where Tarzan gets blown out of a tree with dynamite, and a vicious fight on a cliff-top where a Tarzan is attacked by wire garotte on a bamboo pole, and a man is hit with a cactus.

They don't make movies like that anymore... Just wish it was out on DVD.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

That's Anthony Quayle. Think this is the movie with the noose on a stick scene, gripping!!!;)
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Right you are - I always get those two confused. They also happen to look rather similar.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I managed to acquire a copy of this on DVD. It is still surprisingly good. Structurally it has a lot of similarities with the old westerns - the ending too is quite surprising. Tarzan kills the guy, washes his face in the river and trots off into the jungle.

Anthony Quayle really was quite a good actor.. He plays a psychopath better than almost any other actor I can think of.

Also interesting that Quayle's band of rogues spend almost the entire movie at each other's throats, and try to kill each other at every opportunity. Features a couple of quite nasty death scenes (for a 50's movie anyway).

Comment

Working...
        X