Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Asylum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylum

Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of the film Asylum on DVD(region1) or VHS :?:

thanks in advance....
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

anybody?

Anyone?

You know.....the film listed here on the site:

Review Extract: Sequences with Michael Moorcock are more random and insubstantial, as Emma Matthews tracks him down to self-imposed exile in Bastrop, a small dreary Texan town. There are no global manifestos or statements of intent from the creator of Jerry Cornelius, and Colonel Pyat, only hints that he is fleeing "creditors, stalker fans and the taxman". Dressed in dungarees like a prison-farm trustee, he plays blues guitar on the back porch while the rain tumbles down.

This archetypal Londoner not unsurprisingly states that he is "allergic to Texas" and is living in a culture that doesn't really want him there. In this context, one has to mention Mother London -- his master work -- which traces the post-war memories of a group of out-patients attending a clinic at a London mental hospital. They exist on the social margins, cursed with gifts of second sight, precognition, or telepathic sensitivity, but nourished by the myths and lore of the great city that has offered them anonymity and asylum. The exiled Moorcock presented in these fragmentary clips seems dislocated, alienated, uneasy. " But it's my job to go to areas where I'm afraid...."

Other figures flicker in and out of the film's matrix, like Moorcock's old New Worlds collaborator James Sallis, located in the suburbs of Phoenix. There's also a strange interlude in the little English seaside resort of Margate -- "the kernel of the twentieth century" -- for here, facing these shingly beaches and shouting holidaymakers, T.S.Eliot wrote much of The Wasteland, according to Sinclair's interlocutor Ian Seabrook. The quest theme keeps resurfacing, always obliquely. But what often holds the viewer is the dream-like drift of transmuted imagery, shimmering waters in a motel swimming pool, the framing of a hand, highway lights against the dawn, a girl swaying as heavy seas crash on a windy pier.

This was extracted from Mcourt.
    Written by Paul A. Green

Title: Asylum (2000)

Credits:

Directed by
    Christopher Petit
    Iain Sinclair

I'm interested in watching this one......if anyone knows where I can get a copy on DVD(region 1) or VHS, please let me know.....
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Still hoping someone out there has some information for me. Has anyone seen it?

Does anyone know if it's available through Jayde Design? I'm still awaiting my for-sale list. Thanks!!

Comment

No, but please post if you do find a source. I'm wondering if it ever got more than a very limited release or just a late night showing on Channel 4 (UK).

Comment

I know this is too late, but...

Asylum is not something that be taken in entirely in one sitting, so it may well be one to tape and watch again. A very interesting piece, which is definately worth watching, especially if you are interested in any of its literary participants. Those interested in the avant garde or experimental should find something to enjoy it in, and even those not so enraptured with experimental works might find themselves drawn in by its very poetic presence.

Asylum is scheduled to be shown on Channel 4 in the UK on Thursday 22nd June at 23:40.

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespis...ck/asylum.html

Did anyone catch it?
          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Nope!

Comment

I guess Asylum will be one of those elusive things in life,
              unless someone tapes it and spreads it around.
              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Re: Asylum

Does anyone who posts here actually have a copy?

Comment

Working...
                X