Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows where abouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below.

Any one seen this movie with Robert Redford playing a soldier who abandons civilization to become a mountain man? I recently found it among my DVD collection and forgotten how great this film was - watching it twice in one day sure says alot in my mind :D

Azariel!

Yes! I saw it. I have been watching that movie my entire life. It came out in 1972,I was born in 1973.

My dad provided the tomahawks for the film. He sold muzzleloaders and parts back then. One's with heart shaped holes in the front blade.

The History Channel had a recent special on the real John Johnson and it was great. What was in the film was pretty much all true, in fact reality was even better because, Johnson went around and ate his enemy's liver after fighting them one on one and one time he was seen killing a Native American Man, Crow, I believe, with a human leg that he had been carrying around from one of his victories.

I also liked The Mountain Men with Charlton Heston.

This reminds me of my 'which decade had the best movies' thread, and mine was the 1970's. :D

My father also knew 'Big Buck' Mafi that was in a Gunsmoke episode and a Star Trek, and an old Atlantis movie, the guy was huge, he must have been about seven foot tall, I'd have to check into his height, anyway my dad met all kinds of people in his muzzleloading firearm business and he sold various things and those tomahawks ended up in Jeremiah Johnson. I am also related to Joe Moross who was a character actor wo showed up in shows like Time Tunnel and the original Mission Impossible.

While on the subject, my dad owned a Gatling Gun that was owned by the 7th Calvary, unfortunately for him, Custer did not bring it with him, probaly due to logistics, and we all know what happened, might not have helped, but could have.

Anyway, "Can you skin Griz?"

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hello Azariel,

This is the guy that I am releated to:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0549557/

This is the guy that was my dad's friend:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0535552/

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Man, I love this movie! I saw it for the third time this week. Awesome to know someone who worked on it!

I think the idea of a man leaving civilization (as you notice a war as well) seems so relative to today's audience - I've stopped watching the news cause its just bad news everyday (sure ignorant) but i rather be with a peace of mind. :D

I recall seeing it in highschool and me and a friend swearing to become mountainmen!

Comment

very cool! :D

this one was pretty good too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081187/

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
            very cool! :D

this one was pretty good too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081187/

Ya, I've been meaning to get that one! Man, everyday that adventrous spirit in me keeps nagging me on to just keeping walking into the mountains or toward the sea - madness, they'll say! :lol:

Comment

a bit of trivia, I heard that Robert Redford owns a good bit of land where Jerimiah Johnson was filmed.

you could very well venture out that way and live off the wild forest creatures. :D

My friend is considering doing the same, only at a place that has alot of elk.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                a bit of trivia, I heard that Robert Redford owns a good bit of land where Jerimiah Johnson was filmed. You could very well venture out that way and live off the wild forest creatures. :D
                So I heard. Redford is a lucky man, beautiful country out there.

Oh, man, I'd love nothing better. I'd build a log house, live off the land and be left alone (hopefully, them Crows will leave me be) :lol:

Elk! hehe
                Jeremiah Johnson: Wind's right, but he'll just run soon as we step out of these trees.
                Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Trick to it. Walk out on this side of your horse.
                Jeremiah Johnson: What if he sees our feet?
                Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Comment

hehe :lol:

then of course, there is Man in the Wilderness:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067388/

a bit different than the other two, but, like Jeremiah Johnson, it is roughly based on a true story, well the bear part is anyway. ;)

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm more of a Mr Forbush and the Penguins (1971) type, myself. :)

Comment

Man in the Wilderness = :up:
                      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                      X