Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What movies/dvds are you watching now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What movies/dvds are you watching now?

Hello,

I thought this forum could use a thread like the 'R&R' thread 'What Are You Listening To Right Now?' :D

I will start by saying:

I am watching some episodes of 'Crime Story' from season two.

There were alot of episodes that I originally missed. It was a pretty cool show from Michael Mann.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

the '62 version of Cabinet of Caligari with Glynis Johns
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I've been watching a grim little, b&w, 'kitchen sink,' courtroom drama, on BBC2, called The Boys (1962). A strong cast, with Felix Aylmer, Richard Todd, Robert Morely, Wilfrid Brambell, Dudley 'Tinker' Sutton and several other highly recognisable British actors putting in solid performances. Unnecessary courtroom time is kept to a minimum, with atmospheric flashbacks, filmed on location, around early 60's Walthamstow and the West End. It was directed by Sidney J. Furey, who went on to make one of my all time favourite films, The Ipcress Files.

Four young lads, with teddy boy haircuts, bum freezer jackets, winkle pickers and knives, stand accused of murder and the death penalty is still on the books.

Gripping stuff.

Comment

I've just seen my local cinema listings, and they'll be showing Frida this afternoon as their half-price, "Monday classic". Hurrah! There was a big exhibition of the real Frida's work recently, so I have read a little bit about her, but I've never seen the film before. But I remember L'Etranger recommending it, and who am I to argue? :)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Conan the Barbarian followed by The Beastmaster

Comment

Svengali - '33
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Prince Achmed - German scissor cut anime from the 1920s - great stuff.

Comment

Vampire Hunter D - a 80s Anime classic

Comment

Today, I am watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail on dvd. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I am watching Solent Green! :)

once again, I appreciate being able to go to a store and buy a book.

a world where there are no more publishers and no trees, no recycled paper..
                    is a very bad place.

not to mention the lack of food and space. hehe.

after watching it again, I feel happy to have what I have this 4th of July!

also, it's such a kick-ass classic!

The Omega Man is next, yes again...

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Currently finishing up the Sopranos - my wife and I rented the entire series through netflix. Some very good writing in that series.

Saw Soylent Green and The Omega Man recently, and I didn't like them as much I did a few years ago. Both have some very good ideas and memorable scenes but overall they are pretty schlocky.

A little known detail about The Omega Man is that it is the first time I have ever seen someone wearing a crushed velvet suit (a la Austin Powers). Sure enough - Heston is wearing it...
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Not watching right now, but the other night I watched Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki on DVD. It is an amazing film (cartoon) with qualities that remind me partly of a dream and partly of an adventure game (like Grim Fandango, if anyone remembers that). A very worthy winner of the 2003 Oscar for Best Animated Film. (I bought it on a whim when I returned a DVD of Hitchcock's The Birds to the store because it turned out to be 'panned-and-scanned' rather than anamorphic widescreen.)
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                          Saw Soylent Green and The Omega Man recently, and I didn't like them as much I did a few years ago. Both have some very good ideas and memorable scenes but overall they are pretty schlocky.
                          I'm inclined to think you're right. I was never overly impressed by SG, but I suspect TOM is a film that works best if you see it when you're 14 years old. I bought the TOM video some years ago, but although I've tried to watch it since on a couple of occasions, I've never made it past half way.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'm dreading the new version of "I Am Legend" that's in the works for release in 2007.

After years in development, with various screeplays thrown around - they announce that Will Smith will be playing the lead role...

Judging by the rather bastardised I, Robot he starred in a couple of years ago, I'm not optimistic.
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

ya, he Omega Man and Solylent are movies I loved since I was around 13-14, I guess they stay with you, even so, I still love them, perhaps I am attracted to the cheese and low quality? Also, I love Heston, so I think anything he makes is near perfect, so I don't question anything in his movies,haha. I guess I am a fan of over acting,hehe.

I am just going to forget about I Am Legend, after Will Smith played Muhammad Ali, I think it went to his head, after that I sense too much arrogance in his roles. I like the real Ali though and I did not see all the movie, but it seems to me that Smith is stuck in that character mode. I could be wrong.

I too enjoy museums, I would have liked to see those airplanes. It's not often I would get to see them up close.

P.S. I dreamed last night that I was wayching V for Vendetta, but parts of it were really distorted and became something else, plus it was on a strange shaped disc,hehe, so if I had "V", I would be watching thatright now, I guess I am just eager to see it again, I can write I am watching it in August, I suppose. It was a crazy dream, I was trying to show a scene to somebody, but I could not get that scene to come up, strange to have dvd nightmares,haha, oh well. :)
                              Last edited by lemec; 07-04-2006, 04:54 PM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X