Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

the butterfly effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legion505
    Nomad of the Time Streams
    • Dec 2003

the butterfly effect

i watched this movie last night, and i seem to find alot of comparisons between the movie's ideas and Mr. Moorcock's books. i dont know if any of you have seen it or not, but i was impressed.

the characters all seem to fit into the roles of the multiverse, the champion, the love, the companion, the antagonist.

just cant figure out the black sword role.

am i the only one who sees this? i think im nuts.
  • McTalbayne
    Eternal Companion
    • Jan 2004

For some reason i cant take myself to go see this movie. I cant take Ashton Kutcher for a serious actor.
    It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.

Comment

• legion505
      • Dec 2003

i was actually impressed with his acting in this movie.

to me, it was one of those movies where i didnt really notice any faults. it was just thought provoking the whole time.

Comment

• McTalbayne
        Eternal Companion
        • Jan 2004

Yeah, thats what ive heard a lot of people say. I get free movies at the local theater, so ill probably go see it.
        It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.

Comment

Anonymous

Hahaha!

If you do see it Michael, of course we'd like to know your reaction.

Didn't the movie "Donnie Darko" already use the "travel back in time to save your lover" idea? I suspect that Butterfly Effect is more dramatic and doesn't have the elements of sarcasm and "quirkiness" though.

Comment

• legion505
            • Dec 2003

nope! ive been told i should watch donny darko, but never get the chance.

Comment

• McTalbayne
              Eternal Companion
              • Jan 2004

Donnie Darko is a GREAT movie. Its not a very well known movie, but its still a great watch. Ive got the DVD, and its one of my faves.

Comment

• McTalbayne
                Eternal Companion
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jeriko
                Hahaha!

If you do see it Michael, of course we'd like to know your reaction.

Didn't the movie "Donnie Darko" already use the "travel back in time to save your lover" idea? I suspect that Butterfly Effect is more dramatic and doesn't have the elements of sarcasm and "quirkiness" though.
                The thing is though, He doesnt know she dies till the very end, AFTER he figures out how to travel through time. I think that Donnie Darko Focused more on the fact that God may have been manipulating the events in his life. They hint at that quite a bit. I can talk about this movie for hours so ill stop here. If anyone wants to discuss, id be more than happy too.

Comment

• Crusader_of_Melnibone
                  Wanderer of the Mittel March
                  • Jan 2004

I'll have to agree with you guyz, Donnie Darko was a great movie! It's one of those thought-provoking movies that you'll remember for a long time! (still i haven't put all the pieces of the puzzle together though...)
                  As for the Butterfly Effect, I don't know if it'll hit the big screens here in Greece...but I definitely want to see that!
                  I, while the gods laugh, the world's vortex am;
                  Maelstrom of passions in that hidden sea,
                  whose waves of all-time lap the coasts of me,
                  and in small compass the dark waters cram...

Comment

• ghost
                    • Feb 2004

Darko was a very interesting movie. Will probably wait for video release (or cable :twisted: ) to see Butterfly Effect. I've heard mixed reviews and since I am extremely busy would rather wait.

Crusader of Melibone:

Yiasou! from a fellow Hellene!

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                      Site Host
                      • Dec 2003

I did go to see Butterfly Effect but only lasted about half-way, though I must say the plot seems a perfectly reasonable one regarding time paradox or rather the result of meddling with time lines. The reason Linda and I left is that we were getting more violence than we're used to watching on screen -- or rather more of a certain kind of violence. To be fair to the movie, I suspect it redeems itself and that the violence can be said to be justified. It's just that we weren't up to taking it that particular night. They ought to warn old folks like us... Sex and bad language we can take, but we're wimps when it comes to screen violence. The movies lost me in the seventies with what seemed to me Peckinpah's lingering enjoyment of slowmo deaths in The Wild Bunch! I know this is generational and that younger people are able to distinguish between screen violence and real violence and all that and I'm not expressing
                      shock, I'm just saying what I personally can and can't take. I did wonder, however, if people are able to distinguish between fictional screen violence and reproduced reality, as in the recent holocaust movies, such as The Pianist or, indeed, Saving Private Ryan. Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• MJR
                        MJR
                        Citizen of Tanelorn
                        • Jan 2004

I believe most reasonably well educated people are able to distinguish between fictional screen violence and reproduced reality. At least if you know about the historical events of the Holocaust and the Vietnam War, I feel you should be able to and are able to make that distinction.
                        \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

• legion505
                          • Dec 2003

oh i know, i was shocked when that part came on.

btw, MJR, whered you get the icon, i think i like that idea.
                          do you have a webaddress it was on if it came from the web?

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            • Dec 2003

Berry picked it up from Michael Moorcock's Multiverse, a graphic novel I did in the late 90s with Walter Simonson, Mark Reeve and others. The picture's by Simonson.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                            X