Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What is Kingdom Of Heaven LIke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Kingdom Of Heaven LIke?

Someone I know is interested in this movie.

I think it looks boring and unesseserily gory. Looks like padding out a boring terrible plot with ridiculously gory fight scenes to me.

Films like Braveheart and Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves work cos its the heros against the evil whatever. They are good , lighthearted epic fun. Not pathetic , heavy boringness.

Religion, and a clumsy message about living together? Not good.

Americans shouuld not try that sort of thing. They just cant do it. It shouldnt be done at all.

The person in question thinks its a epic action film.

Re: What is Kingdom Of Heaven LIke?

Originally posted by yolanda
    Films like Braveheart and Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves work cos its the heros against the evil whatever. They are good , lighthearted epic fun. Not pathetic , heavy boringness.
    And made by Americans, btw.

Religion, and a clumsy message about living together? Not good.

Americans shouuld not try that sort of thing. They just cant do it. It shouldnt be done at all.
    The director of KoH, Ridley Scott, is English.

;)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Re: What is Kingdom Of Heaven LIke?

Americans shouuld not try that sort of thing. They just cant do it. .
      Nobody can.

Comment

I personally disliked Kingdom of Heaven, though my opinion was somewhat influenced by seeing the movie with my friend the budding medievalist. He gawking at the anachronisms, causing me and my other friends to laugh with him. There wasn't much suspension of disbelief. Even so, I'd point out that the movie is both rather poorly structured and overly preachy. If you're squeamish about gore and unpleasantness, you probably won't like one scene where we see just what leprosy does to people... it's quite disturbing. I don't recall the battles being too gory though.

Comment

I enjoyed the KOH, I didn't find it overpreachy considering it was the Crusades - what else is their to talk about! I thought the siege was the best part of the film - Oh, I'm a sucker for a old fashioned, anachronism-filled battle :D

I think I enjoyed the film for the sheer lack of new historical/fantasy films, so if i hated it, then I had nothing to watch. Although, I give Jeremony Irons credit - he was damn good here, which helped remove the stain of his D&D days from my memory :(

Comment

Working...
          X