Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

I just bought He-Man and the Masters of the Universe on DVD. Man, does this bring back some good memories! Looking back now, I never noticed my love for Sword & sorcery had started at such a young age!

I like to make note on Eternia itself, its interesting to note, made in 1983, during the Conan boom, that He-Man is completely diffrent and unformulaic to standard Sword & Sorcery - sword & science, blasphemy! :D

As anyone else gotten it? Its not bad, 33$ bucks for 33 episodes, a dolla' an episode of pure childhood memories :bliss:

I wouldnt buy it, but i liked the old one.

I like the new one better, more sensible.

And when you think about it, yeah, the old one is against the fashion for the time.

Though, He Man has seriously bad hair, . The original Greyskull, who was the one who gives the sword its power, had long hair.

I think the robots are cool and all that history it has.

Its years since I saw the eighties one.

Comment

That and Thundercats guilty pleasures.

Being Old, I remember an old Hercules Cartoon where he put on a ring for power and had a sheirking young centaur always in need of help.
      Theme song is still stuck in my head.
      " Hercules , hero of song and story,
      Hercules, hero of ancient glory
      Fighting for whats right
      Fighting with his might
      With the strength of 10
      ordinary men
      He's the Mighty Hercules"

oh oh what about this one?

Robin Hood on the Moon
      mighta been Rocket Robin Hood on the Moon

Comment

I thought the Masters of the Universe movie was pretty decent.

I liked Robotech and Voltron alot better as far as cartoons go. I was one of the strange ones who actually liked the weird vehicle Voltron instead of the lion Voltron. :lol:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by yolanda
          Though, He Man has seriously bad hair, . The original Greyskull, who was the one who gives the sword its power, had long hair.
          What alot of people fail to see is that cropped hair was exactly what REH's Conan had and Solomon Kane for hair style! Read the originals and see how its decribed! Its all the Arnold, Frazetta art that makes us believe Conan had long hair. . . nope :D

Comment

He Man is a bit of a stinker - from the early days when kids entertainment began to be driven by toy company marketing departments.

He Man (the toy line anyway) actually started off as Conan. That's right - Mattel wanted to release a line of toys based on REH's Conan the cimmerian, and for whatever reason they had to alter it to make it something else. Hence He Man...

I hated the cartoon even as a kid - I mean, when you see (what should be) a much feared villain baked into a giant loaf of bread and thrown out of Castle Greyskull, it does give you some pause for thought. Add to that the sickeningly sugar sweet moralistic endings the progamme makers stuck in there (That's right kids, guns can kill people!).

My favourite kids cartoon (Though I'll be surprised if anyone outside France, Japan and the UK saw it) was Ulysses 31 - a 26 part manga styled space opera version of Homer's Odyssey. Very good and surprisingly adult themed.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I didn't get into the anime melieu until my teens, and thank god too - those were the kind of splatter punk stuff my gore-fiendishness needed. But anyways, Mattel denies He-Man was a recolored Conan (who was too pagan and hedonistic in its film to be a kid film) and the clues are obvious now:

1. He-Man's square-cut mane. . . same hairstyle envisioned by REH.
              2. Thulsa Doom, the villian of the film. . . originally a "skull-faced" wizard by REH in Kull's adventures.
              3. I can't think of another. . . those too are enough.

I find it corny to watch, but it sure brings back memories. . . same way watching Dr. Who at midnight (which was the same time PBS would air it, which is odd - a kid show at midnight)?

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                Add to that the sickeningly sugar sweet moralistic endings the progamme makers stuck in there (That's right kids, guns can kill people!).
                Unless you've seen this episode of He-Man where he warns kids about the dangers of mustard.

http://flyingmoose.org/heman/mustard.htm

Originally posted by devilchicken
                My favourite kids cartoon was Ulysses 31
                I used to love that cartoon! And like He-Man, it's now available on DVD too.

'Remember kids, don't put mustard on the cat!.'

Comment

He-Man? Phooey!

Ulysses 31? Fshaw!

It's got to be...

...Mr Benn all the way!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                    It's got to be...

...Mr Benn all the way!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
                    Imagine if Mr Benn tried on a barbarian costumer and found himself in Eternia. Or is that just me spending too much time watching old cartoons? :twisted:

Still don't think Mr Benn can beat

*BOING!* Time for bed!

Comment

I liked Thundercats. It was good.

I used to watch Ullyses 31 when it was on early in the morning , like 5.ooam.

I never saw Voltron. But i liked transformers.

I like the new ones better. The new transformers, He Man and spiderman,x men , are better in every way.

I have seen the old Spiderman, and i think its more artistic, like a comic book. I know its got less of a budget, but some of the still scenes are like art, with messages in. They seem to incorperate the spiderman colors and have webs hidden in them. They are too obscure to be just backgrounds.

I like the awesome new The Batman. Its true to the real , gothic Batman. The villains are scary and if it was more gory ,scary, theyd classify it as teen adult. Its on at 16.30pm on CBBC 1. Yes , i was surprised it was there.

I like the Batman cartoons, they are cool. None of them silly, unlike the early films and the 3rd and 4th film.

I never can see how that silly 60s series and films came about, when its such a serious comic.

Its obviously meant to be serious.

The Batman is like Anime. And it has a downright creepy titles. Like The Joker saying *batman* like hes going to kill him.

I like many cartoons.

The Legend Of The Dragon, is good. But it is afflicted with some cronic humour, and seriously bad movie takeoffs. There was one truely awfull Chinese agent with an inexplicable and bad Scottish accent, like a Sean Connery takeoff. Bad. And it is full of sentimentality.
                      Could be so much better.

Comment

I like the Batman cartoons, they are cool. None of them silly, unlike the early films and the 3rd and 4th film.

I never can see how that silly 60s series and films came about, when its such a serious comic.

Its obviously meant to be serious.
                        The various different interpretations of the Batman have reflected their times, so although we now see Batman as a dark character (as Bob Kane originally intended) it was not always thus.

Originally posted by Misha Davenport
                        EVOLUTION OF THE BAT LOOK

Like many characters in popular culture, Batman has gone through many changes in the course of his 66 years. Some of these changes have been minor, but a few have been down-right revisions:

Batman as pulp fiction crime fighter: Dark and sinister, he emerges from the shadow of darkness to strike fear in both the criminals of Gotham City and readers of his adventures in "Detective Comics."

Batman as the patriarch and father figure: After the young sidekick Robin is added in April 1940, Batman becomes a surrogate for many readers whose own fathers were off fighting in World War II.

Batman, citizen of Gotham: In keeping with the brighter outlook of 1950s suburbia (and in response to Senate hearings on the comic book industry), "The Dark Knight" is usually seen in the daylight. Stories about urban crime are replaced with lighter, science-fiction fare.

Batman as campy comedian: After the 1960s TV series had a substantial impact on the comic books' sales, writers began to take their cues from the show. Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred is brought back to life (after being killed off earlier), and Aunt Harriet suddenly appears at Wayne Manor. The most popular contribution from the show is Barbara Gordon/Batgirl.

Batman as brooding loner: Beginning in 1973, the Caped Crusader goes back to his roots. Though new characters and villains will come and go, for the time being, Batman remains true to his original core.

Source: http://www.suntimes.com/output/movie...-batart12.html
                        To that list, one should add Frank Miller's radical re-interpretation of the Batman in The Dark Knight Returns and Year One - as well as Alan Moore's The Killing Joke - which were significant influences on Tim Burton's Batman movies.

I believe it was Dennis O'Neill, the writer of the 'new order' Batman in the '70s, who said that his take on the character was that the Batman was the 'real' persona and Bruce Wayne was the 'mask' he wore in public. Subsequent comics writers like Miller have simply picked up that ball and run with it.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks Demos99, for showing that article. You must have a lots of documents or a lot of patience.

From 1985 to the 90s, my brother and I had a robot that was made up of 6 lions , each a diferent colour. it came with a video with a cartoon.

I was wondering if this could have been a Voltron toy. It was not a transformer.

Do any of you know what this toy could have been?

Comment

I also used to watch the Conan cartoons. The ones where his parents get turned into statues and he has to save them. Conan the Adverturer. There were other Conan cartoons. They were good.

I also watched Prince Valient, but i found it too gentle. It shied away from the gory fighting stuff. It wasnt action packed enough for me.
                            It seemed really gentle for a swordnsorcery cartoon.

Comment

Thanks Demos99, for showing that article. You must have a lots of documents or a lot of patience.
                              Or just too much time on my hands? ;)

Originally posted by Yolanda

From 1985 to the 90s, my brother and I had a robot that was made up of 6 lions , each a diferent colour. it came with a video with a cartoon.

I was wondering if this could have been a Voltron toy. It was not a transformer.

Do any of you know what this toy could have been?
                              Could that have been Thundercats?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088631

Comment

Working...
                              X