Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

V for Vendetta: The Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V for Vendetta: The Movie

Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, given the DC and Warner Bros treatment.

Trailer to be found here:
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

More info on the possible state of affairs between Alan Moore and DC:
    http://www.alanmoorefansite.com/

I didn't realize this movie was based on anything. I'm quite looking forward to seeing this movie after watching Garden State, and realizing that Natalie Portman can actually act. (Just goes to show how cack-handed George Lucas really is. As one of my flatmates is fond of saying, he couldn't direct traffic, let alone a decent movie).

Comment

That should be a cool movie. I did not now Natalie Portman was going to be in it. I also enjoyed her in Garden State. She was pretty good in Closer as well, but I was not in to that movie that much. :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

V For Vendetta has always been one of my favourite comics ever since its original (truncated) appearence in the Warrior magazine in the early 1980s. It will be interesting how it's perceived in the current political climate - both in the US and the UK - seeing as how the main protagonist is an out-and-out terrorist.

Interesting to see from the trailer that they're promoting Portman as the headliner, with the actor playing V going almost entirely unmentioned, which is fine by me. The one absolute sacrosanct rule you cannot break with V is to reveal the man behind the mask, so if most people go into the cinema not knowing who plays V that would be great (although I don't suppose it will take long for word to leak out).

The production design for the movie looks very good and I think they've managed to visualise V very well, although I'd have like a duller palatte overall to the one they're apparently giving us. I shall await the release of this film with more than a little trepidation.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I loved From Hell, though that's probably the only Alan Moore comic that I've ever properly read. I recall somebody posted something a couple of months ago, a link to Alan Moore's website or something. Apparently he asked for his name not to be credited in V for Vandetta? Looks like I'll have to google.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude
            Apparently he asked for his name not to be credited in V for Vandetta?
            Yes, if you look at the end title card on the trailer it says: 'Based on characters appearing in magazines published by DC Comics', rather than the more usual 'Based on characters created by <a writer> & <an artist>'.

And it's not just VFV that Moore's had his name taken off, he also had it removed from 'Constantine' (aka Hellblazer) and any future film projects based on his DC work, including (presumably) any sequel to the 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' movie (although there doesn't appear to be much desire on anyone's part to make such a film ).
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'm still waiting for a Watchmen film. It would be an interesting twist on the standard superhero film

Comment

Just seen some of the posters that have been released on the Internet ahead of VFV's March 2006 opening.

This one's just so cool:

And what a great tagline. :D

Comment

Two words: KICK ASS ! :D

Comment

yeah,that movie looks awesome. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hmm. It's an interesting one, as V is something that will appeal to anti-government types at both ends of the political spectrum.

One US review of the comic states that it's about a Communist Britain, which is odd as it always read as a Fascist Britain to me (especially at the time, when we were 'under' Thatcher).

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                        One US review of the comic states that it's about a Communist Britain, which is odd as it always read as a Fascist Britain to me (especially at the time, when we were 'under' Thatcher).
                        That's just simple mis-reading of the book by the reviewer.

From Book 1, Chapter 5 - Versions:
                        "My name is Adam Susan. I am the Leader. Leader of the Lost. Ruler of the Ruins. I am a man, like any other man.

I lead the country that I love out of the wilderness of the Twentieth century. I believe in survival. In the destiny of the Nordic race. I believe in Fascism.

Oh yes, I am a fascist. What of it? Fascism... a word. A word whose meaning has been lost in the bleatings of the weak and the treacherous.

The Romans invented Fascism. A bundle of bound twigs was its symbol. One twig could be broken. A bundle would prevail. Fascism... Strength in unity."
                        Perhaps reviewers should read the books they review, eh? :P

I suspect the word the review might have been reaching for was 'Totalitarian', which can apply to fascist and communist regime equally.

Comment

Me too. Although maybe there's a big of ignorance - there's such a thing as too right wing?

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
                            I'm still waiting for a Watchmen film. It would be an interesting twist on the standard superhero film
                            There was an informative article in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly which discussed the status of the film version.

Comment

I'm curious if David J from Bauhaus and Love and Rockets was in any way involved in the soundtrack, as he had created a minor one for the comic:

http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta..._inspired.html

I can't find any info online, but I assume he would pass, since his friend Alan Moore doesn't want anything to do with the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X