Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Time Machine (2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Time Machine (2002)

Just me or did Jeremy Irond look ALOT like Elric? The scene where he's first seen, startled me, I swore Guy Pearce had crossed into another film entirely!

Re: The Time Machine (2002)

Originally posted by Azariel
    Just me or did Jeremy Irond look ALOT like Elric? The scene where he's first seen, startled me
    Now that you mention it, he does look quite like Elric (although I am working from memory here). At least until he got out of that throne he was sitting in.

I liked the kind of paradox in the film, that no matter how hard he tried, he was unable to save his fiance.

Comment

Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
      I liked the kind of paradox in the film, that no matter how hard he tried, he was unable to save his fiance.
      When I saw the movie - the whole audience erupted with laughter when Guy Pearce's 'recently saved from mugging death' fiancee got run over by that horse and cart.

Totally not what the film-makers intended.

I was badly disappointed by the movie - not a patch on the George Pal / Rod Taylor original. What were they thinking with those piss-poor animatrionic morlocks!?
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I was more offended the morlocks were seen in broad daylight! Its like asking to see a vampire walk through NY sucking ppl's blood.

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
          When I saw the movie - the whole audience erupted with laughter when Guy Pearce's 'recently saved from mugging death' fiancee got run over by that horse and cart.
          So did I. The idea was what I liked. It's good to see them go wrong sometimes, when casting or whatever adds unexpected elements. Take the D&D movie for example. Whoever cast Richard O'Brien* as the master of the Thieves Maze provided the one and only laugh that I got from that movie. Not quite what was intended I suspect, from a character who was meant to be taken seriously.

It's definiately not as good as the original. The Moorlocks running around in daylight was too unbelievable for me (I love that scene with the matches from the original). If they had of kept the Moorlocks in the dark then they could have at least partly hidden how crap they looked.

*For those who don't know, Richard O'Brien used to host a game show here in the UK called 'The Crystal Maze.' A team of contestants had to work their way through a sort of maze while solving puzzles to collect crystals. At the centre of the maze there was a large crystal (slightly more impressive than the D&D one).
          When Richard O'Brien first appeared on the screen, there was a burst of laughter from somewhere in the cinema. It took the rest of us a few moments to figure out why.

Comment

The original story is satisfyingly dark and the George Pal version is satisfyingly Hollywood Edwardian.

I started watching the new version recently, but just lost interest.

Comment

Working...
            X