Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Did anyone see the movie Powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see the movie Powder?

I saw a movie on television called Powder. There is a guy in it that plays an albino. Did anyone mention that in the Elric movie thread?

The actor who played the bald albino was Sean Patrick Flanery. He does not look like Elric,but it was still interesting to watch. The movie came out in 1995.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

I seem to recall some controversy surrounding this film when it was released... not for the content, but something to do with the director? Possibly. But I can't afford to libel anyone, and it has nothing to do with your point, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, I'm hungry.

Dee

Comment

I remember seeing the trailer for this movie but never got around to seeing it at the time. The only thing I seem to be able to remember is Powder being struck by lightning. Kinda reminded me of Highlander.

What was it about lemec?

Comment

This movie will make you cry your heart out. Man, woman it doesn't matter it's that touching.

Comment

Yes Sky, it sure was a tear jerker.

Spoliers are below:

To spaced_moorcock it is about an albino boy who's mother died in childbirth, the dad did not want him and he was kept in his grandparants basement where he educated himself. His last grandparent died at about age 17 and he is forced to leave the farm where he grew up. He get plced in a highschool where everyone discovers that he has special powers. His body is somehow electified. He endured predudice due to his white pigmitation and it goes on from there. An interesting part is when a man shot a deer and Powder touched the deer when it was dying and the man at the same time causing a link between them showing the man how the deer was feeling, fear and despair at having it's life force draining from it. Later on the man gave up hunting. He went on to save another student's life , one that pushed him around, but was hit by lightening and actually was dead until Powder shot electricity from his hands to start he guy's heart again,like they do in the hospital,only Powder did not need the electric paddels. There is more that happens of course,but this is the summary. The part that you mention was the most interesting. Powder realizes that there is no place in the world for him so he ran out into a corn field with a massive storm overhead. He quoted something from Einstein about how energy never dies it just goes on to be a different thing or being and I feel that Powder believed his soul would live on and at the end it appeared that when the lightning struck him, he merged with it and became one with the universe. Another touching part was when he read the thoughts of a dying woman to give comfort to her husband and to her son. I would like to discuss the posibility of the idea that people could use their minds to one day become pure energy discarding their bodies and becoming immortals by becoming sentient entities in the wind and every living things. It was sort of along the lines of the Organians from one of the original series Star Trek's, they left there primitive bodies centuries ago to become pure energy.

P.S. I did not know what the deal was with the director, I did not hear much about it. :)

Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's almost as depressing as The Elephant Man. That movie will seriously mind-f***k you.

Comment

I haven't seen Powder, although I have been meaning to do since it first came out.

Originally posted by lemec
              I would like to discuss the posibility of the idea that people could use their minds to one day become pure energy discarding their bodies and becoming immortals by becoming sentient entities in the wind and every living things
              You may find Tad Williams's Otherland series interesting as this is one of the driving factors to the plot.
              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Hey thanks EverKing !!! That does sound good.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I spotted a copy of Powder in a bargain bin at one of the local toyshops, today. Right next to it was a copy of The Legend of the Drunken Master, starring Jackie Chan. They were both €3.00. I bought the Jackie Chan movie.

Yes, I am that shallow! :drool:

Comment

Thanks for the low-down Lemec!

I would like to discuss the posibility of the idea that people could use their minds to one day become pure energy discarding their bodies and becoming immortals by becoming sentient entities in the wind and every living things
                    This is kind of what I believe about death. The consciousness (soul if you will) that is you is actually a form of energy. Instead of death being the end, it is merely a transistion between one form of existence to another.
                    I'm sure that one day our decendants may evolve sufficiently to complete this process by will alone although it make take a few billion years. I think that we'll be able to use technology to accomplish the same goal in a shorter period of time. As well as EverKing's suggestion of the Otherland series, you might want to check out Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks also. It contains some interesting ideas about using technology to transfer the conscious to a different plane of existence.

Comment

Hey, you are most welcome spaced_moorcock!

Thank you for the book tip. If our "souls" so to speak are energy, maybe there is something to ghost stories after all. They could be people who were not powerful enough yet to go turn into something else, the residue might be floating around. Just a thought, since Halloween is coming up,hehe.

Mayhaps an ancient race, like those of Atlantis,discovered this process and disappeared from the face of the Earth, or the Mayans?

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hi Lemec!
                        Just in case you missed the post, I've started the new thread in Tanelorn. You can find [broken link]here
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I might watch it if i got the chance, but from your review of it, it might make me sick.

I had the suspicion that it was nausiatingly soppy. I hate soppy movies.

Ever since my empathic powers got stronger, i cant watch certain things without crying. I got them controled now, but at first I had to be carefull.

Some things make me want to get a gun and shoot them all. Like romantic films and sentimental crap.

Comment

Working...
                          X