Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Kelly's Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly's Heroes

This film was on BBC 2 last night. I hadn't really meant to watch but I was trying to distract myself from worrying about my website, and really got drawn in. I'd seen clips of it on one of those "50 Best War Films" shows, so I was aware that Donald Sutherland's character was going to be a bit anachronistic... but I wasn't prepared for how cool he was! I was laughing my head off every time he was on screen, barking and jutting his chin out at random angles. No doubt there are fans of the War genre who would deride the presence of a slightly camp stoner in their films, but he totally made that film for me.

I don't enjoy War films any more than I enjoy Horror films, with all the thrill-killing, but (death toll aside) that was a lot of fun. :clap:
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Kelly's Heroes is one of those 'guilty pleasure' movies that has developed a huge following in the years since it's original release.

Incidentally, the only other film that Brian G. Hutton made of any significance was the greatest 'men on a mission' film ever: Where Eagles Dare. :D
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Yep,Kelly's Heroes is one of those moies that I love from the 1970's.

Carroll O'Connor was very good in it as well as the main cast. The actors at that time sure made the chemistry work.

There is alot of humor found in war movies and westerns actually,but Kelly's Heroes leaned more to a comedy,but still had serious action in it.

The Dirty Dozen is right up there with Where Eagles Dare. A bit of trivia,the actor who played the German Tiger Tank Commander also played a German in Raid On Rommel.

Some of the other best War World II movies are:

The Longest Day,A Bridge Too Far,The Devil's Brigade,The Big Red One(some things I question about that one though,as far as history goes.),To Hell and Back,Tora,Tora,Tora,Battle of the Buldge is fun to watch,but in no way accurate to history. Eisenhower even said how far off the movie was to the real war. The battle was detailed alot better in the recent Band of Brothers which was all around one of the best mini-series ever. The recent Enemy of the Gates was pretty good. Too Late the Hero with Michael Caine was interesting. Oh, I can't forget how good the Great Escape was and Force Ten From Naverone was a good men on mission movie,I thought it was better than the classic The Guns of Naverone. Black Sheep Squaderon was always a good show,The Battle of Britain was decent. What I saw of the old tv show Combat! was pretty good.

I always chuckle at the part in Force Ten From Noverone when the British bomb expert can't speak German and he goes to get the supplies he needs from the German wharehouse. He is pushing out the dolly when a German guard confronts him,starts rapidly speaking German to the British (German desguised) officer, so he just gives the guard the finger and just keeps pushing the dolly and walks off. lol hahahahaha. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
        I always chuckle at the part in Force Ten From Noverone when the British bomb expert can't speak German and he goes to get the supplies he needs from the German wharehouse. He is pushing out the dolly when a German guard confronts him,starts rapidly speaking German to the British (German desguised) officer, so he just gives the guard the finger and just keeps pushing the dolly and walks off. lol hahahahaha. ;)
        I recently re-watched Force 10 (my mini-tribute to Michael Sheard (who died recently) was has a small but very memorable role in the film) and I think it is very under-rated. I prefer David Niven's interpretation of Miller (the bomb expert) to Edward Fox's, who I feel plays him as too much of an upper-class twit, but Bob Shaw and Harrison Ford are decent enough, even if Ford is a bit wooden during his first on-screen scene imo.

In the days before VCRs were common I remember as a teenager I audio-recorded the soundtrack onto a couple of C-90 cassettes which I far wore out with repeated listenings. The only downside with the audio-only version of the film was that one couldn't really appreciate Barbara Bach's... er... 'contributions' *ahem* to the film. :)
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Hi denos99,

ahh yes,The Spy Who Loved Me's Barbara Bach,hehe,that was a good part,not trying to be sexist,haha.

Oddly enough,my brother did the same thing,only he recorded the marching tune from The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford did make a good team. We all found out later that Harrison Ford turned out to be real good at killing Nazi's in the Indy movies. Shaw was in From Russia with Love so he has something in common by being in a Bond movie like Barbara Bach.

This is off subject,but thinking of Shaw made me think of Swashbuckler which in turn made me think of the movie Kidnapped. Did you ever see the version of Kidnapped with Michael Caine in it? I saw a bit of it once, then never saw it anywhere on dvd or cassette. It looked so good! He was fighting off his enemies with a cutllass and dirk and claiming how great a fighter he was, and that was the last I saw of it. haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Re: Kelly's Heroes

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            This film was on BBC 2 last night.
            Poo! I can't believe I missed it. It's one of my favourite movies (and probably my favourite war movie). I'm glad I've got the video so at least I've got another chance to see it this week. Thank goodness for the positive waves, baby! :)

lemec, I remember that version of Kidnapped. I saw it during the summer holidays when I was still at school and loved it. Michael Caine played his part well. You can find it on DVD here for a ridiculous price. I don't think it's been released in the US though.

Comment

I too remember the Michael Caine version of Kidnapped. I saw when I was about 12 or so as a 16mm projection at a local church youth group in the late '70s (possibly early '80s). Like all things we remember from our childhood, I think it was pretty good - certainly Caine was good in it iirc (and this was before I knew who Caine was and had seen things like The Ipcress File and Zulu). I remain hopeful that one day it will turn up on TV or a cheap DVD so I can see whether those memories hold up. :)

Comment

Ah the 70's comes to the fore again (remember the best decades thread). I used to like Kelly's Heroes alot but all I can now remember is the shooting of the tiger tank with pink paint and Donald Sutherland saying 'Stop hittin' me with dem negative waves.' Plus the Burning Bridges song at the end.

Shame I missed it this time around.

Comment

Ah, the 70's!
                  "Kelly's Heroes" my best buddy and I greatly enjoyed in the 70's! Saw it at least five times. Funny, I recently found the old 45 rpm disc with "Burning Bridges". We somehow transplanted the message of torn-down bridges to the relations we had at the time with a couple of girls.
                  You mention Michael Caine ... first time he stepped into my awareness was a terrific act in "Too Late the Hero", another war film. Which I seem to remember didn't end very optimistic or triumphantly.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

'70 Sutherland driving a tank in Kelly's Heroes - WWII
                    '71 He's Jesus driving a train in Johnny Got His Gun - WWI

wild times
                    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
                      '70 Sutherland driving a tank in Kelly's Heroes - WWII
                      '71 He's Jesus driving a train in Johnny Got His Gun - WWI wild times
                      And M.A.S.H., of course, which he was great in!

Just checked Johnny out on IMDb, and as one viewer comment confirms, it's the film that was sampled in a Metallica video and really creeped me out. Eek! 8O

Comment

I saw Kelly's Heroes in Tiberius, on the banks of the Galilea, back in the very early Eighties. The audience was mostly young Palestinians and they were all booing the film (probably not violent enough), until they eventually twigged that it was a comedy.

:lol:

Comment

Just checked Johnny out on IMDb, and as one viewer comment confirms, it's the film that was sampled in a Metallica video and really creeped me out. Eek! 8O
                          I'll never forget the film, the first week it was out some "friends" got me into a heightened awarness state and took me to see the new "comedy", brain melt ensued, missed the Metallica video, praise Sutherland!
                          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

The Dirty Dozen is on UK TV this week. I can't recall ever watching it before, but Sutherland is in it, so why not?

I think it's either tonight, or tomorrow night... :clap:

Edit: Hah! Having read the trivia points on IMDb I now realise that it was this film I thought I was going to see when I sat down to watch Kelly's Heroes. All the way through I was expecting them to go in to a chateau, but it never happened, so I assumed that was the part I'd missed getting to the film late. But I had my anachronistic-hippie characters all mixed up. That's what you get when your entire knowledge of cinema comes from clip shows! :(

Comment

The Dirty Dozen is on UK TV this week. I can't recall ever watching it before, but Sutherland is in it, so why not?

I think it's either tonight, or tomorrow night... :clap:
                              So Dee, did you watch it? What did you think of it?

The Dirty Dozen had quite a reputation at one point for being very amoral and violent, although it probably seems rather tame these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X