Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Doc Savage - Man of Bronze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Savage - Man of Bronze

Does anyone else remember this movie from 1975? I saw it a couple of times as a kid, and found it fairly enjoyable.

Then again - I found Flash Gordon fairly entertaining when I was 7 or 8.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

When I read the title, I got this vague flashback to a muscular chap sat out in the Arctic, looking rather pleased with himself because he didn't need a coat. Is that anything to do with it, or was that just a cheese-dream I had?

No, I'm probably thinking of something else... :oops:

Edit: Just looked it up, and some of the original novels were written by Lester Dent! Hurrah! The man I have to thank for awakening me to the joys of "pulp"! Bless.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Ron Ely - the definitive Tarzan when I was a growing lad. :D

I've always had a soft spot of the Doc Savage film. even if it perhaps doesn't hold up as well after 30 years. Perhaps my favourite bit is the scene with the 'displacement' glass and the sniper. :)

:link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072886/
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I only remember a few scenes - I was trying to find out whether or not the movie was available on DVD or video so I could rent it. Guess its long OOP.

There was an american indian assassin (in full indian dress) who falls off a building in NY. Doc Savage also had some sort of bullet proof tuxedo - that resists a sustained machine gun attack on a cruise ship.

There was also a rather ludicrous fight scene at the end - where the hero and villain face off using different forms of martial arts.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Yeah, I remember going to see the Doc Savage film at the cinema with my nan.

Found it a bit disappointing after his Marvel Comic adventures I had been reading beforehand.

I have seen it on TV a few times since, but not for something like 20 years.

Surely a candidate for a remake in view of all the Hollywood comic book adaptations of late?
          ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

Re: Doc Savage - Man of Bronze

Originally posted by devilchicken
            Hey, the Flash Gordon film is entertaining at ANY AGE! :D

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
              All right, I'll give you that.

One things for sure - they don't make movies like that anymore!

Comment

I guess you're talking about the 1980 film and not the old Buster Crabbe ones, or the TV series from the 50s? :)

I used to love those on TV when I was a kid. Rockets made out of fairy liquid bottles - class.
                ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

Gordon's ALIVE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                    All right, I'll give you that.

One things for sure - they don't make movies like that anymore!

Well, I'll be admiring the Buster Gable Flash and even the super cheesy 80's version (although the soundtrack by Queen was awesome) when the NEW Flash Gordon comes out played by Ashton Kutcher - which after seeing him on Tv and on Film already know this is a sure disaster that'll make the 80s version by Dino Laurentis seem like GOLD!

Comment

Working...
                    X