Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Galaxy Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy Quest

Sorry, this has just been on BBC1, and I feel the need to rave about it. For some reason it's not a film I ever consider buying, but everytime I see it, I really enjoy it. The premise is ridiculously simple, and the character arcs can probably be predicted in the first twenty minutes, but maybe the appeal is in its simplicity. It's just a funny film, with a good cast, decent FX where necessary and a sprinkling of schmaltz. It's not a great film, but it's solid, reliable entertainment. Even my strong dislike of Tim Allen can't spoil it!

Strangely it's far more enjoyable than any of the Star Trek movies to me, but I always prefer comedies because the main characters tend to be more flawed and "human" in comedies than they are in "straight" genre pieces.

And Missi Pyle rocks. Fact. :)
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Re: Galaxy Quest

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Sorry, this has just been on BBC1, and I feel the need to rave about it. For some reason it's not a film I ever consider buying, but everytime I see it, I really enjoy it. The premise is ridiculously simple, and the character arcs can probably be predicted in the first twenty minutes, but maybe the appeal is in its simplicity. It's just a funny film, with a good cast, decent FX where necessary and a sprinkling of schmaltz. It's not a great film, but it's solid, reliable entertainment. Even my strong dislike of Tim Allen can't spoil it!

Strangely it's far more enjoyable than any of the Star Trek movies to me, but I always prefer comedies because the main characters tend to be more flawed and "human" in comedies than they are in "straight" genre pieces.

And Missi Pyle rocks. Fact. :)
    Nah...it's Alan Rickman who makes the film.

"By Grabthar's Hammer.... I shall smite thee."

Comment

Re: Galaxy Quest

Originally posted by manmiles
      "By Grabthar's Hammer.... I shall smite thee."
      That scene near the end, where he says his catchphrase and means it, does get to me, I must admit. Not that I was crying, or anything. I just had something in my eye...

Comment

I think it's a really sad and quite poignant moment when the alien is dying... Y'know when he's saying that they lied to him, and........ oh balls! :D

Comment

The historical records! Now you've started me off again...

:D That's what I like about the film. There's a lot of slap-stick humour, and some geeky in-jokes, but it's still gotta lotta heart, as they say.

Comment

Ooh, ooh! Fan of this film right here. I always end up in near tears of laughter at the way the aliens (are they Thermians? Been a while since I saw it) clap their hands and laugh. And shuffle around like a child that never learnt how to walk properly.

A sequel was apparently on the cards, but I'm glad it was left alone to become something of an oddity.
            Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

"It's a rock, it doesn't have a vulnurable spot!"

Comment

In a couple of years they'll probably try to make a TV series out of it. :roll: But you're right, it works perfectly well as a stand-alone film. I can't see how they'd make a sequel without ruining the whole concept. "Crikey, aliens are still real!" Well, yes. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                  In a couple of years they'll probably try to make a TV series out of it. :roll:
                  They always have to do something to spoil a good idea. It'd be Red Dwarf after series 6 all over again.

I love this movie. The child-like innocence of the aliens leads to some really funny moments.

"The <creature> arrived inside out, and it exploded!"

Comment

Working...
                  X