Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fantastic Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic Four

I hope noone else needs to see this before they realise that this movie is very very VERY bad!
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

The trailer was on before Batman, and even that wasn't worth watching. Obviously The Incredibles owed a great deal to the Fantastic Four, but it's hard to see how the FF film can ever hope to rival it. Personally I didn't read many Marvel comics, so I have no great attachment to the characters... all of my favourite superhero-types are pointlessly obscure DC "comic relief", and they'll never get a movie.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

The comic is rubbish too I must admit. I hate Mr Fantastic and his crew. in the real world they would work for george w bush, appear in fund raisers for him and do his dirty work. bunch of traitors!
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I thought I'd weigh in on this one to help add some balance to the flow of opinion. I used to read and enjoy the comics as a youth so I'm probably biased.

I can identify with those who see the film as lightweight, but to be fair it was at least a fairly competent origin tale which was reasonably close to the spirit of it's source material. Admitedly, only a fan of the original comics would probably be able to appreciate it more than as a piece of light entertainment. The fact that it didn't have an overall theme like Spiderman or Batman Begins probably detracts from its effectiveness.

I thought the actors all portrayed their parts well, although I have reservations about the changes they made to the Dr Doom character. While those changes tied the Doom character in more organically with the plot, the original Dr Doom somehow became lost in the transition. He was always a megalomaniac twisted genius master of gadgetry (perhaps one of the precursors to Darth Vader in some ways) rather than the power monger with his own superpowers as portrayed in the movie.

So for me, as a fan of the original comics, it could have been way better, but I wasn't disappointed.

Comment

The problem I had with it stems partly from the fact that there was absolutely no plot whatsoever. It came across like a random collection of scenes with nothing really connecting them. The dialogue was also on a par with Halle Berry's "what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning" line from X-Men.

Plus did it strike you as odd that Ben Grimm's wife goes out of her apartment into a busy New York Street (in a rather rough looking part of town) in her lingerie?

Also Dr Doom didn't really seem to have any particular 'plan' other than just deciding (for some unknown reason) to go randomly crazy. It didn't make any sense - and I was disappointed that they threw out most of the stuff that made Dr Doom such an interesting villain.

I just found the whole experience to be particularly uninvolving and very derivative, with no exposition or devotion to characterisation on the kind of level that made Batman Begins and Spiderman 2 so good.

Comment

Of course, to truly appreciate the merits (or lack thereof) of the new Fantastic Four movie, you really need to have seen the original (suppressed) Roger Corman version.

Now *that's* bad!. 8O
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Ha, Demos, I keep reading about this Corman version but I've never seen it. Are you going to spill the beans? 8O

Devilchicken, the plot I suppose was of 'the genesis of a superhero team' variety. Reasonable rationale for narrative drive in a comic, but alone doesn't really give the condensed unifying theme that marks superior efforts in the genre like the Spiderman movies and the new Batman Begins. I think in the mix there somewhere they flirted with the theme of using powers for the benefit of humanity (F4?) rather than for one's own ends (Dr Doom?) but not in a focused way. They pulled in too many unnecesary elements from later in the original F4 timeline too, when they could have used the xtra screen time to give us, as you say, a more believable Doom and perhaps have fleshed the F4 out a little better. I'm being a little vague on examples to keep the thread spoiler free. They could have streamlined and focused more than they did.

The scene with Ben's wife/gf was a little awkward I agree. I think it was there to throw emotional salt in the wound of his sense of alienation as The Thing, but where it happened in the movie was out of context. There were more logical places for it to have occured.

Looks like we're mostly touching base on the Doom situation. His native home of Latvia was always a big part of his character and was largely ignored in the film. Perhaps the scriptwriters didn't want to get too political, but I think they missed a big opportunity here. Also, I seem to recall the original Doom had no superpowers per se except his own genius for techno-wizadry.

In spite of its flaws I think they did a fair job. It was reasonably faithful to its source material, but as one of the first in it's genre, and much imitated (ref The Invisibles etc), it was always going to suffer from that derivative feel with out a drastic reworking of the core material. A victim of the time it's taken for technology to develop to the point where it can satisfactorily represent the original media?

And that kind of brings us back to the Corman version.

Cue Demos. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                Ha, Demos, I keep reading about this Corman version but I've never seen it. Are you going to spill the beans? 8O
                Well, I could tell you about the Corman version, but then I'd have to kill myself afterwards. ;)

I saw a nth-generation video of the Corman FF film at (I think) the last ever UKCAC comic convention in London in the mid- to late-90s, iirc. Being nth-gen. VHS the quality wasn't that hot, but it was still viewable - I wouldn't say watchable because after 10 mins I wanted to gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons. Oh and stick hot needles in my ear drums as well. Due to Post-Traumatic Stress my recollection of watching it is somewhat hazy, but the first 30 minutes or so before the FF get their powers were extremely saccharine, you know like one of those sappy US daytime 'TV movie of the week' things, full of cheesy homespun moralising and touchy-feely 'hey isn't it great we all love each other' moments?

Visually I think they did a reasonable job on Doctor Doom (iirc) though The Thing, while not too bad, was a bit of a let down compared to how he appeared in the comics. They held back on showing the Human Torch with the full 'Flame on!' look until the last 5 minutes - which if your character is supposed to be able to spontaneously combust at will rather hampers the role somewhat. But when the Torch did finally appear in those final moments, the animation/cgi/whatever it was (maybe they just set someone on fire - if the budget was a small as generally alleged) seemed pretty okay to me - but it was hard to tell with all the colour leakage on the screen due to the VHS duplication process.

The Mr Fantastic SFX were pretty laughable if my memory doesn't cheat me, which didn't help the audience suspend their disbelief. I'm afraid I can't remember much of what the plot was about however, though that may be a blessing, I suppose.

It is one of those films which has assumed a reputation far beyond its actually merits due to the fact that is it so difficult to see the d*mn thing. It's a film that you kind of want to watch once just so you can say you've seen it, but that's a bit like boasting about how you once ate your own faeces just to see what they tasted like.

I suppose at least the new version has two things that make it worth going to see, namely Jessica Alba. Oh wait, she's the Invisible Woman, isn't she? Aw well, forget about it then. :P
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It dosnt look like the best.

But take it on its own terms. Its a light positive comic. It is not Batman or Spiderman.

I think it looks good. I like the Fantastic Four. I used to watch the cartoon. Its back now on Toonatik on itv 1 . It works well as a series.

Youd have thought they would have made a new cartoon though.

I would not have put Jessica Alba though, Shes good of course. I d have picked someone more tall and thin and paler.

The acter who plays ben is too agressive. Its the man from The Shield. He is not quite right. I would have thought someone more nicer.

The rest look right.

Julian McMahon is an awesome acter! Hes ace in all he does.

I hope it does well.

Comment

Thanks for the description of the Corman version Demos. :)

I just want to add that I don't think my comments re the FF being one of the first in it's genre are applicable to the fantasy/heroic fantasy field, which has been under-represented in film and which I feel is ripe now for transition to the big screen in a way that's never been possible before. Lord of the Rings had a huge impact and is really only the first of a new wave. Nobody has ever seen anything like the Elric saga on the big screen so when the films get made they are going to be a new landmark in cinema history.

Comment

Working...
                    X